Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After witnessing Anderson Silva win his last two fights in that fashion. How far do you think he can go.

1) I can see him winning at 170 if he can make weight.

2) There was no problem here at 185.

3) I think at 205 he would just be stronger.

4) Fighting as a heavy weight ????

What are your views on how far he could go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hes middleweight champ, and i dont see him losing the title anytime soon..so he probably wont be going anywhere.
Maybe after he's lost the title..and gets sick of the cans in UFC, PRIDE will want him again and he'll resign, then get the PRIDE belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question to ask is why leave?

There is no real talent in that weight class (as witnessed by Franklins domination, and subsequent ownage at Silva's hands) so he could be there awhile.

He goes down....he gets Matt Hughes, who I think would have a better chance then Rich did, but after watchin Matt take some pop's to the chop's by BJ Penn (and laugh them off, which he wont do against Silva) I have no confidence in Matt's standup. Matt would ground this fight from 00:02 of the first round until the end of the 5th.

If he goes up he gets Chuck Liddell. A signicantly tougher matchup for him, due to Chuck's impressive standup and even more impressive takedown defense's.

Silva's two losses in Pride were both by submission, so would think he would go up before going down to a weight class with BJ Penn, St.Pierre and the likes.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember Ivan Salavery ( Not sure of spelling ) and how would he match up against Silva.

Not sure of weight class

That guy was great and have not seen him in a long time.
Fighters like that put on great shows.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
He wouldn't do so good against a wrestler. It will probablay be a grappler who beats him. That is...if they can get in on him before he busts their face up and rocks em up good

I was pulling for Silva and am glad he won. He used to or may still train with Chute Boxe. Shogun would be a great training partner

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Settle down children, it is two wins. I will admit it is very impressive but Rich Franklin has a notoriously weak chin and Leben is technically not too good. Anderson Silva is not going to take over the world at every weight class and revolutionize fighting. We have yet to see him on the ground in the UFC. He is very good but let him get at least one title defense before we annoint him king of the world

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah, I never saw that Chonan fight until just now, but it impresses upon me one simple fact. Something was wrong with Franklin that night, because he was not nearly as physically outmatched as Chonan and Chonan took it to Silva. There is something going on there. I'm wondering if they're not going to have Silva fight the Axe Murderer instead of Liddell or something wierd like that. Either way, props to Silva for the big win and hopefully Franklin comes back & shows what he is really made of.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
looking forward to seeing him on the ground. Just wondering who is going to take him there. What fighter would want to stay in a weight class that offers no competition for him. If Rich really dominated at 185 who is going to offer real competition for him. I never heard a champion say he did not want to fight the best out there. It does not matter if Silva goes up or down maybe someone else will come to him looking for a fight.

·
Hammer Fist Elbow
350 Posts
One person that could stand any chance on the ground is maybe... umm NO ONE Anderson Silva is going to be the best champ ever. No doubt about it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
kamikaze145 said:
Settle down children, it is two wins. I will admit it is very impressive but Rich Franklin has a notoriously weak chin and Leben is technically not too good. Anderson Silva is not going to take over the world at every weight class and revolutionize fighting. We have yet to see him on the ground in the UFC. He is very good but let him get at least one title defense before we annoint him king of the world
Anderson whould Whope Chuck EASY the odds 90% anderson 10% Chuck .. and that 10% is a punchers chance

Syliva would lose agains Silva, cuz it would prolly goto the ground .. and Anderson would submit him in seconds

St. Pierre would give anderson a run for his money, (im saying St. Pierre because Matt Hughes will lose to pierre very soon!!)

But there really is no competition in UFC of anderson he may/will (if he wants) take all the belts from each Champion

·
Registered
6 Posts
cicero1 said:
looking forward to seeing him on the ground. Just wondering who is going to take him there. What fighter would want to stay in a weight class that offers no competition for him. If Rich really dominated at 185 who is going to offer real competition for him. I never heard a champion say he did not want to fight the best out there. It does not matter if Silva goes up or down maybe someone else will come to him looking for a fight.

I think we see a classic case right now of Hughes dominating his weight class.....and honestly so did Rich. I mean....when you are offering a title shot to the winners of a TUF competition who's main theme this year was "fighters who have lost thier drive" more or less.....your kinda reaching in talent pool.

Rich fought the best talent in this weight division. Tanner, Loiseau, Shamrock (ok...more of a exhibition then a true contension fight I thought), Quarry (again...another TUF fighter who was truly outclassed). I was getting the feeling that they were trying to build up some interest in a Chris Leben vs Rich Franklin fight which I would have had no desire to see. Mike Schwik vs Rich? Little more interesting.

As far as Matt's division its gotten dreadfully bad. They are at a point now where they are going to start throwing the same guys at him time and time again. The fight with Royce Gracey made me sad for the UFC. It was a shameless attempt to sell tickets to a show that pitted IMO two different era's in UFC fighting. If GSP loses this fight (and I think he will) what's next? Try and call Carlos Newton back for another run? Talk Diego Sanchez into tackin on some weight? BJ Penn.....again? That weight class to me is in far more dire need of true talent then any of them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Leglokker said:
I think we see a classic case right now of Hughes dominating his weight class.....and honestly so did Rich. I mean....when you are offering a title shot to the winners of a TUF competition who's main theme this year was "fighters who have lost thier drive" more or less.....your kinda reaching in talent pool.

Rich fought the best talent in this weight division. Tanner, Loiseau, Shamrock (ok...more of a exhibition then a true contension fight I thought), Quarry (again...another TUF fighter who was truly outclassed). I was getting the feeling that they were trying to build up some interest in a Chris Leben vs Rich Franklin fight which I would have had no desire to see. Mike Schwik vs Rich? Little more interesting.

As far as Matt's division its gotten dreadfully bad. They are at a point now where they are going to start throwing the same guys at him time and time again. The fight with Royce Gracey made me sad for the UFC. It was a shameless attempt to sell tickets to a show that pitted IMO two different era's in UFC fighting. If GSP loses this fight (and I think he will) what's next? Try and call Carlos Newton back for another run? Talk Diego Sanchez into tackin on some weight? BJ Penn.....again? That weight class to me is in far more dire need of true talent then any of them.

Just like before you guys underestimated anderson silva.. and my prediction was that it wouldn't be past the first round for Rich... so i knew anderson silva was going to kill him....

Now you are underestimating George St. Pierre, who is right now on paper a better fighter than Matt Hughes, 40-4 and 12-1(for GSP) if you work thoes numbers out GSP has a better record.. so dont underestimate him.. He's prolly one of the strongest and in the best shape ... just because he made that mistake in the last fight and not looking at the clock properly doesn't mean Matt is going to win again... Pierre was KICKING HIS ASS in the first round... and dont think GSP didn't learn from it...

SO just like all of the people before saying Rich Franklin is going to kill Anderson Silva... you can see how WRONG you were.... UFC isn't that great of an organization ... UFC fighters are about equal to TKO fighters (which is the Canadian version of UFC) and GSP was KILLING in that league.. so dont be surprised when Matt Hughes looses.

But Anderson (if he does it) would kill anyone in any weight class right now

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
BJ Penn could have a chance of beating Silva, could he not?

This is just a question to those that might know, because I've only seen Silva once (his fight with Franklin) and that isn't near enough to form any kind of opinion on the guy yet. I can't wait for the announcement of his next opponent, though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
TheJame said:
BJ Penn could have a chance of beating Silva, could he not?

This is just a question to those that might know, because I've only seen Silva once (his fight with Franklin) and that isn't near enough to form any kind of opinion on the guy yet. I can't wait for the announcement of his next opponent, though.
well to be fair he has only faught 2 matches in the UFC .. but silva has fought in the messed up league there is .. Vale Tudo .. where its an all out brwal .. bare knuckles, head butts and all that fun stuff.. so to say hes not that great of a fighter and that he cant take a hit.. is an understatement...

and BJ Penn isn't that great anymore.. he lost a lot of his agression when he fought in Japan, where its more technical, where in the UFC there really is not technically skilled people (besides anderson and pierre) if you look at what most fighters have in the UFC is basically just wrestling and "free style fighting" .... so when you have an actual MMA fighter .. you can see how distructive they are...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts