Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my take on this situation. It is not news to anyone that Silva feels his career is winding down and plans on leaving UFC once contractual obligations are done. He has 11 consecutive wins inside the octagon and has been talking about challenging himself outside of the octagon.

One of his idols is RJJ and though RJJ is completely shot as a boxer and past even the twilight years; he wanted to see how he would stack against a "B" level boxer. I think he is seeking some outside challenge and also get a huge payday for his athletic ability.

The truth is that the UFC is a very monopolizing organization. I think it is great for the fans of the sport, even BETTER for the top brass of the sport and terrible for the fighters. Getting 3.5 million at the gate, hundreds of thousands of PPV buys, TV shows, and they pay fighters anywhere from 10-500k a fight.

I would imagine that it would be very hard for a very very dominant and elite level MMA fighter not want a piece of that "top brass cake." It would be hard to watch the elite level of boxing (A. Silva is the Pac Man or Mayweather of boxing get 10-20 million a fight.

DW is a greedy SOB. He KNOWS what he is doing. He comes across as a hothead take no prisons SOB that is "all about the fans." But he isn't. He is hypocritical with many statements that get called out by MMA fans here. "I'll never let Kimbo fight" "Kimbo is signed." "I'm not doing freakshow fights" "Toney isn't a freakshow because he is an elite level boxer." He puts on Kimbo because he was a HUGE internet sensation and every pre-pubescent fan that has never stepped foot in the ring thought he was the toughest guy around. Any fighter knew he was garbage. Just because a guy gets humble and hungry in loss doesn't mean you let him co-main UFC events. I would rather the UFC spent their time and money on signing talented MMA artists that have actual records and years of experience than Kimbo's and James Toney's.

Dana White just gives the CASUAL fans what they want (less time to work ground game, more stand up matches, etc). The hardcore fans love watching elite level groundgames, BJJ Vs BJJ, less forced stand ups from the refs, etc. But if Dana were to appease the hardcore fans, their revenues would drop from less PPV and ticket sales. This would give the top brass less money.

At the end of the day, these fighters deserve much more than their making. 30 years ago, professional athletes made peanuts to what their contemporaries are making (inflation issues aside) and I think Anderson Silva wants a piece of the pie before his twilight years come and go. He KNOWS that MMA fighters will be making millions per fight and multi-millions on endorsements much greater than today and he KNOWS that the UFC could pay much more if they weren't as capitalist and greedy.

I dunno...that is my theory on his antics. He looked like he purposely was bored, and frustrated. Not with his opponent but with the UFC. He displaced his anger and excuse on his opponent because he isn't going to completely bite the hand that feeds him....imo.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Sure dana is a hypocrit but thats part of being a business man in a sport trying to rise. I dont know if you actually knew.. Silva has another 7 fights left on his conract or something like that because he signed a new contract 6months ago or so.

Silva is just tired of facing guys who wont fight him. Maia was running around the cage for the first 3 rounds and suddenly Silva stops fighting him and Maia turns it on a bit.

Also, top fighters make a lot of money, not anywhere near boxing level but still high. Lesnar made around 6 million for his UFC 100 performance but thats all based on PPV buys. I remember Silva complaining that he is put on cards without other draws but himself and he has had lower PPV numbers.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
He looked like he purposely was bored, and frustrated. Not with his opponent but with the UFC.
That´s what i think.

Everybody seems to find easy to call him stupid, crazy or whatever, but i think that there´s mutch in it that it isn´t public and that would be the reason that andy is behaving like that.

Perhaps he´s giving UFC, what UFC (not the fans) is deserving right now.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
if he was tired of the ufc he wouldn't have singned a new contract because he on only had like two more fights on it and was talking about retiring after this month

he's just looking for that highlight reel stuff if forrest didn't engage he would have been doing the same thing but he got what he wanted from forrest and wants more shit like that watch the leites countdown he talks about it

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i find it funny how everybody is on silva,

he wanted to engage for 4 rounds, maia ran away if u cant take silvia down , why dont u just start fighting?

he just got pissed after 20 min of chasing after a guy

now when he secured the victory, maia grows balls and goes all out in the 5th round.

Man, **** that.

I am behind silva on this one

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
i find it funny how everybody is on silva,

he wanted to engage for 4 rounds, maia ran away if u cant take silvia down , why dont u just start fighting?

he just got pissed after 20 min of chasing after a guy

now when he secured the victory, maia grows balls and goes all out in the 5th round.

Man, **** that.

I am behind silva on this one

maia spent most of the time in the middle of the octagon and
if maia didn't engage than silva should have he is the striker after all

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

what? that gif proves absolutely nothing..infact it just shows how Maia was hoping Silva would follow. Silva did good for the first 3 rounds and then went on cruise control, just look at Maia's face in the post fight interviews and say Silva didnt engage throughout the first 3.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
what? that gif proves absolutely nothing..infact it just shows how Maia was hoping Silva would follow. Silva did good for the first 3 rounds and then went on cruise control, just look at Maia's face in the post fight interviews and say Silva didnt engage throughout the first 3.
so he should have finished it instead of complaining about maia not engaging and you didn't see maia crying about silva not playing the bjj game

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
That´s what i think.

Everybody seems to find easy to call him stupid, crazy or whatever, but i think that there´s mutch in it that it isn´t public and that would be the reason that andy is behaving like that.

Perhaps he´s giving UFC, what UFC (not the fans) is deserving right now.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

Maia was lookin' for TD desperately, and few times except for running away he just jumped guard to not get outstriked by silva

laying there and hoping silva will jump on you is stupid, also this gif is mockery of maia, the thing he did for 4 rounds runnin away

what happend in the 5th is big question for me

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point on him signing a new contract as I wasn't aware of that. Even though he still may realize that his best bet is to STAY with the UFC....maybe this is his way of being defiant. I don't know..only a postulation. Also...don't mind my title. I don't know how I spelled monopoly wrong....been a long day and got my butt kicked in sparring:/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maia was lookin' for TD desperately, and few times except for running away he just jumped guard to not get outstriked by silva

laying there and hoping silva will jump on you is stupid, also this gif is mockery of maia, the thing he did for 4 rounds runnin away

what happend in the 5th is big question for me
I agree completely. And everyone keeps talking about Silva running away from Demian... I don't remember that. In the first two rounds when Maia did throw, Silva countered and busted him up. In later rounds when Maia was standing in the center of the ring he wasnt throwing punches. It wasnt until he got completely desperate in the 5th that he started actually engaging.

I also wanted to quote this to say how Awesome that .gif is. I love Silva and will gladly pay for any card he is on. To everyone complaining about his disrespecting of Maia is too sensitive. Its MMA... if you dont like what your opponent is doing, make them stop...

I still blame the matchmaking, has anyone been excited about Silva's last three title defenses? We complained about the fights before they even took place, complaining that none of the three deserved to be in the octagon with him. It blows my mind that people think Anderson owes us an explosive finish every fight.... He went out and won the first three rounds without question, even going out of his comfort zone and attacking in the first two rounds. At that point, why would he keep attacking when he is a known counterpuncher and has the fight in the bag? No matter who you are fighting, they still have a punchers chance so why go out and get caught when winning the fight 3 rounds to 2 looks no different than 5 rounds to nothing?

GSP does the EXACT same thing (refuses to fight out of his comfort zone) and people love him. Only difference is his style happens to be offensive takedowns as opposed to Anderson's defensive striking.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
I agree completely. And everyone keeps talking about Silva running away from Demian... I don't remember that. In the first two rounds when Maia did throw, Silva countered and busted him up. In later rounds when Maia was standing in the center of the ring he wasnt throwing punches. It wasnt until he got completely desperate in the 5th that he started actually engaging.

I also wanted to quote this to say how Awesome that .gif is. I love Silva and will gladly pay for any card he is on. To everyone complaining about his disrespecting of Maia is too sensitive. Its MMA... if you dont like what your opponent is doing, make them stop...

I still blame the matchmaking, has anyone been excited about Silva's last three title defenses? We complained about the fights before they even took place, complaining that none of the three deserved to be in the octagon with him. It blows my mind that people think Anderson owes us an explosive finish every fight.... He went out and won the first three rounds without question, even going out of his comfort zone and attacking in the first two rounds. At that point, why would he keep attacking when he is a known counterpuncher and has the fight in the bag? No matter who you are fighting, they still have a punchers chance so why go out and get caught when winning the fight 3 rounds to 2 looks no different than 5 rounds to nothing?

GSP does the EXACT same thing (refuses to fight out of his comfort zone) and people love him. Only difference is his style happens to be offensive takedowns as opposed to Anderson's defensive striking.
the comments anderson said to maia are very bad and pretty much racist in brazil

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Well a bunch of brazilians have said that is bullshit but I guess you know it for a fact right.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jcramer2/www/lsd/Roth-Gordon%20(2007).pdf

With my head shaved or full of product
I get full of myself because I think I’m a good guy
But in truth, I belong to the worst breed that exists
I’m a playboy! I think I’m happy, but I’m sad
I’m worse than a plague, I’m worse than a pest,
I’m everywhere on the surface of the Earth
I’ll tell you where playboys proliferate by the thousands
It’s in a poor, capitalistic country like Brazil
—Portrait of a Playboy, by Brazilian rap/pop star
Gabriel the Thinker, 1993
In

Pay attention black on the outside, white on the inside
I speak the truth, you make fun of me, I don’t
regret it
You don’t inform yourself, you don’t have
consciousness, you don’t know anything
And you become a doormat, a lapdog to the playboys
At the dance club the playboys are all dressed up
And the idiot without money, disheveled, standing on
the side\

So I came, from the extreme south of the south zone
in São Paulo, okay? Capão Redondo [a favela].
I (come) to Rio de Janeiro again, okay. . . .
And I will always come here. [ . . . . ] The difference
between here and there, is the name of the city, okay.
The condition of life is the same, the problems . . .
are practically the same, okay? So it’s the
following. We are all a revolution, the revolution
of attitude, you know what I’m saying? I take a lot of
pride okay, in wearing a cap, wearing a jacket,
okay brother, in cutting my hair like this, because this
is my life, you know what I’m saying. I don’t need to
have a wavy forelock of hair to imitate a playboy.
Ignorant black thinking that he is light brown
Just because the whores told him that he is a
cute black
He is becoming more idiotic each time
He is even carrying the playboys’ surfboard
He is being used more than an objectified woman
They only call him a friend when he is nearby
I get pissed off at blacks like us
Who become like toilet paper of the [play]boys
[refrain:]
I hope you learn like us
And stop sucking up to the playboys

[shouts, applause] Okay brother, you know what I’m
saying, my life is this, okay.
[ . . . . ]
Since then brother, since then, a lot of blacks
sold out. A lot of blacks straightened their hair, okay
brother. A lot of blacks . . . started listening to
New Wave. A lot of blacks turned into rock fans.
A lot of brothers betrayed the nation okay brother.
[ . . . . ] Because rap is my life, okay. It’s my
slang, my cap, my lifestyle. It’s what
I know how to do. It’s what got me to be here . . . until
today, okay. Peace amongst us. **** the playboy!
[start of song: “Hey [Play]Boy”]

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Yeah, that says that its meaning is highly in dispute in Brazil. It wouldn't be a racist term either way though it would be like calling someone a racist oppressor in english in the worst case. What you linked to says that as a hip hop term which is what it has become in the current popular culture it doesn't mean anything close to that also.
people still know what the meaning behind it was regardless if it's still in dispute, the manner in which anderson was using it was clearly derogatory and he seems to be a fan of hip-hop culture which is displayed in his choice of music and dress sense

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.