Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It could be the biggest fight in UFC history.

It could break all the records.

And according to UFC president Dana White, everyone keeps asking for it, so he might just have to give it to them.

The longstanding fight fans have been asking for is to see widely regarded pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva match up with the fighter closely nipping at his heels for the top spot in UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. The fight has been brought up to White for years, and both camps have expressed interest.

Silva's manager, Ed Soares, says the Brazilian champion is all about big fights, and that means bringing in whoever is going to present the biggest challenge.

The biggest question surrounding the potential mega match-up right now is what weight class the two fighters would face off at? Silva rules the 185-pound division, while St-Pierre is a multi-time welterweight champion.

"First of all, I think to protect both champions, I think it's smarter to do it at a catchweight possibly, but who knows? Anderson... I don't think he could. Maybe he could, I'm not sure, make it down to 170. I think it's much easier and more likely that Georges goes up to 185," Soares told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

Silva has fluctuated in weight a lot over the years. The one-time 167-pound champion in Shooto, Silva fought at 175 pounds when for Rumble on the Rock, at his natural weight class at 185 pounds, and has also made a couple of appearances at 205 pounds, knocking out both James Irvin and former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin.

Soares doesn't rule out Silva's freakish ability to put on and take off weight, and believes that the potential dynamite of promoting a two weight class champion could be just the formula that gets the superstars in the Octagon together.

"Could Anderson do it? He probably could," Soares commented about Silva. "It would be interesting. It would be a great promotion. If either one could make each other's weight class, it would be a great promotion to be the first guy holding two belts at the same time."

When it comes to Silva's career, it's all about the big fight, and Soares isn't in the business of turning down opportunities for his fighters.

"Tell GSP to make weight, we'll be waiting," Soares said simply.

Both fighters are occupied presumably for the rest of 2010 with Silva facing Chael Sonnen in August, and St-Pierre defending his belt against Josh Koscheck most likely in December. If both are victorious, the clash of two of the best ever in MMA could be the biggest fight in UFC history.
http://www.mmaforum.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=5

im not as sceptical as i was to this fight a while back as GSP has been getting more muscular. However his inability to finish guys like Hardy still makes me pick Silva as a 4 to 1 fav.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My thought process is, if Silva wants to prove he's the ebst he should be the one moving weight classes, not the other way around. GSP still has a few good fights where he's at, so why the need for him to move. That's like saying I'm the best and can beat anyone, but you have to come to me so I can prove it. IMO of course. Why is it that other fighters have to move weight classes to answer Silva's challenge. If he wants to prove it, prove it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
However his inability to finish guys like Hardy still makes me pick Silva as a 4 to 1 fav.
I agree that Silva may be the favorite for that reason, but I pick GSP because of his ability to fight guys who usually finish fights, like Hardy, Alves and BJ Penn, and he takes them down at will and does what ever he wants with them. I dont think GSP will dominate Silva, but he'll win!

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
GSP would win on decision i reckon, hard fight to call but i would love this as a superfight, make it happen dana

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Not sold on this fight still, it proves nothing imo, Silva cant drop to 170 because it would just be wrong, he is big for 185 and should probably be fighting at 205, as for GSP moving up a weight, if this fight has to happen then that's the way it should be, if a champion wants to fight another champion then the gut below should always be the one to move up, its just the natural order of things like when Penn fought GSP and when Couture fought Sylvia.

But it proves nothing if GSP moves up a weight and looses, which is what I think will happen, GSP (the grease ball, smug arrogant ass hole) would not quite be able to shoot as fast at MW as he does at WW as a result his take downs would not quite be as effective I dont think, Anderson has electric speed in his hands, GSP's strength is that he can take you down (at 170 at least) faster than you can throw a straight right, and thats usually when GSP shoots under his opponents punch and wins the TD when you that bit off balance, a slightly slower GSP at 185 going up against the speed of Silva straight right, I have Silva to be able to get his stance back in time to defend that TD and win the fight on the feet.

But it means nothing as GSP is made for 170.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GSP does NOT want to fight at 170. If he does, he puts his title on the line.

I just have the feeling that GSP knows he can't defeat Silva and is dodging the situation till Silva is older and becomes more human. When Silva's performance begins to decline, I believe we'll then see the fight.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
GSP does NOT want to fight at 170. If he does, he puts his title on the line.

I just have the feeling that GSP knows he can't defeat Silva and is dodging the situation till Silva is older and becomes more human. When Silva's performance begins to decline, I believe we'll then see the fight.
Despite GSP currently gaining weight in the most efficient way he can and saying on numerous occasions he'd fight Silva? Yea, really dodging him. Just because GSP hasn't stacked on a load of useless muscle in 2 months to make 185, which would only serve to slow him down, doesn't mean he's dodging anything. Notice how Anderson just gets to kick back and be comfortable while GSP has to try to change his body to make it a more even fight against a much bigger fighter? GSP is the one doing the work, how is he dodging?

Some people are too cynical.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Just look at the frame's of the two fighters. Like someone said earlier, Silva has a much larger frame than GSP and if GSP makes it to 185lbs, he's going to be drastically undersized. Which will not play great into his typical game plan of taking people down and controlling them.

I think this is suicide for GSP... but eh, I'd still watch it.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
I think everybody would be watching, fans or not... Still think a fight at MW would be bad for GSP... Make it catchweight somewhere in between the two classes... Silva has to move as well, he's the one out to prove himself :)

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
I've said it a million times before. GSP needs to step out of his comfort zone and fight at 185 if he wants to be considered a p4p great. Randy does it. BJ does it. Silva does it. Machida expressed interest in moving to heavyweight. So whats GSP afraid of?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This whole GSP-Silva superfight is beginning to feel a lot like the Pacquiao-Mayweather of the MMA world. It's the fight that every fan wants to see in order to crown a p4p king, but for whatever reason the fight just isn't happening!
And for the record Silva would win, regardless of what weight the fight takes place.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
I'd like to think that GSP would welcome the opportunity to take a fight where many feel he's the underdog.

He doesn't seem inclined to take any risks lately, however, either in the cage or regarding who he fights, so I don't see it happening, at least not until Dana backs the Brinks truck up to both GSP and Silva's houses.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I'd like to think that GSP would welcome the opportunity to take a fight where many feel he's the underdog.

He doesn't seem inclined to take any risks lately, however, either in the cage or regarding who he fights, so I don't see it happening, at least not until Dana backs the Brinks truck up to both GSP and Silva's houses.
GSP seems to have two plans to deal with the situation. Wait until Andy moves to 205 permanently so people stop talking about it or wait till Anderson is almost 40. Kos might beat him also and I don't think there will be near the clamor for this fight at that point. Everyones focus will switch to Andy/Shogun if that happens.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
My thought process is, if Silva wants to prove he's the ebst he should be the one moving weight classes, not the other way around. GSP still has a few good fights where he's at, so why the need for him to move. That's like saying I'm the best and can beat anyone, but you have to come to me so I can prove it. IMO of course. Why is it that other fighters have to move weight classes to answer Silva's challenge. If he wants to prove it, prove it.
You are absolutely correct, because GSP totally doesn't want to prove he is the best. :confused03:

Seriously? Silva has some good fights coming at 185 soon enough and hell if he wanted t ogo to 205 he could have good fights. If Silva went down weight and lost how would that prove anything? One man cutting the other fighting his element isnt even ground...

One gaining and one losing is how it should be. I mean Silva has been going up and down for months and still handling business. GSP isnt able to? I mean hell he can put on 10lbs of muscle in a snap right? That would be an inferiority at fighting to an extent, he cant move around to fight contenders in different weight classes. That statement is a stretch but think about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've said it a million times before. GSP needs to step out of his comfort zone and fight at 185 if he wants to be considered a p4p great. Randy does it. BJ does it. Silva does it. Machida expressed interest in moving to heavyweight. So whats GSP afraid of?
Preach it LoneWolf!! Preach it!!:thumbsup:

GSP seems to have two plans to deal with the situation. Wait until Andy moves to 205 permanently so people stop talking about it or wait till Anderson is almost 40. Kos might beat him also and I don't think there will be near the clamor for this fight at that point. Everyones focus will switch to Andy/Shogun if that happens.
Thaaaaat's right!! Andy/Shogun.... then Andy/GSP... Andy holds all three belts simultaneously and promptly retires as the best MMA fighter in the history of the sport!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
You are absolutely correct, because GSP totally doesn't want to prove he is the best. :confused03:

Seriously? Silva has some good fights coming at 185 soon enough and hell if he wanted t ogo to 205 he could have good fights. If Silva went down weight and lost how would that prove anything? One man cutting the other fighting his element isnt even ground...

One gaining and one losing is how it should be. I mean Silva has been going up and down for months and still handling business. GSP isnt able to? I mean hell he can put on 10lbs of muscle in a snap right? That would be an inferiority at fighting to an extent, he cant move around to fight contenders in different weight classes. That statement is a stretch but think about it.
I've heard a couple different people reference this statement, but the last I heard GSP said it would take him a year to put on 10lbs of muscle... What did I miss?

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
This whole GSP-Silva superfight is beginning to feel a lot like the Pacquiao-Mayweather of the MMA world.
I agree 110%. :thumb02:
There have been so many threads about GSP-Silva...it almost feels like this fight took place.:sarcastic12:
I think avery MMA fan in the world has this fight in his TOP 3 wishlist.
I've made peace with myself. I am not biting my finger nails waiting for the fight.
Better not to wait for it and then... "SURPRISE": the fight is official. :thumb02:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts