Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started taking some whey protein 3 days ago, and last night I tested out my blender.

I toss in about 4-6 ounces of pitted cherries (bing), about the same amount of strawberries and about 4-6 ounces of water with roughly 3-4 ounces of the protein powder.

Today I ended up with a 6-cup smoothie, or the equivalent of 3-pints. I was also scavenging in the fridge and found a green bell pepper the whole pepper was tossed in as well.

I have heard about throwing eggs into the mix but I am not sure if that would sit sit right with me for taste at least.

What do you guys think about the cherry,strawberry, and bell pepper mix good bad?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I try to make sure I get at least one of each of these:
IMHO, these are best blended frozen

-fruit: blue berries, mango, or strawberry
-veggie: spinach, yam, kale
-nut: almond, cashew
-whey isolate: at least 25gm worth (whatever the dosage requires ...unflavored)

If I go with a spinach, I will toss a shot of espresso to mask any kind of flavor ... bitters hide flavors well.

Dont bother with egg if you have protein powder already.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little curious how would you figure out how much of a calorie intake a shake like I described above have in it?

I was amazed how heavy of a calorie gain I got from it, I normally have a full meal twice-daily of over 1,200-1,500 calories roughly can't say really.

And that 48-ounce smoothie/shake lasted 4-hours before I was starving, normally a 1,200-1,500 calorie meal lasts 2.5 hours before I'm wanting to eat again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, I did a rough calculation of calories in that 48-ounce shake I had yesterday and it came out to 980. I will have to take a look at how the carb count plays out.

I'm guessing I had at least 60-100 gram of carb from the protein powders.

If I can I would love to pour on an extra 300 calories somehow into that 48-ounce portion. If I start taking recipes down I'll be able to fill up a gallon jug and take some to work with my overnight shifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts