Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just flipping through the channels on tv, see an nfl highlight, they talk about a few guys, they are all like 6'7 270. Go by a wrestling show, same thing, super lean and huge guys and it got me thinking. Why are so few hw's actually around 265-270 and in good shape, you got carwin and lesnar and that's all that comes to mind. There are more guys around 265 but they usually have horrible levels of body fat and really bad cardio. You see them all the time in other contact sports, is this body type so rare that it's much more lucrative to compete athletically in something else?

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Lesnar, Carwin, Duffee, Hague and Rothwell are all huge guys who cut to 265,

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I'm just flipping through the channels on tv, see an nfl highlight, they talk about a few guys, they are all like 6'7 270. Go by a wrestling show, same thing, super lean and huge guys and it got me thinking. Why are so few hw's actually around 265-270 and in good shape, you got carwin and lesnar and that's all that comes to mind. There are more guys around 265 but they usually have horrible levels of body fat and really bad cardio. You see them all the time in other contact sports, is this body type so rare that it's much more lucrative to compete athletically in something else?
Todd Duffee made a really good point (im sure others have made it as well) on inside mma last time he was on. Guys that are really large and athletic generally play football or other mainstream sports and have a lot more opportunities to be professional athletes. There are so many smaller, very athletic guys in mma because they dont really have any other opportunities outside of wrestling (and even that is hard to become famous by) to partake in professional sports. I think that as the sport progresses we will start to see a lot more large and athletic people drawn to this sport as the opportunities provided by mma continue to expand and grow.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Todd Duffee made a really good point (im sure others have made it as well) on inside mma last time he was on. Guys that are really large and athletic generally play football or other mainstream sports and have a lot more opportunities to be professional athletes. There are so many smaller, very athletic guys in mma because they dont really have any other opportunities outside of wrestling (and even that is hard to become famous by) to partake in professional sports. I think that as the sport progresses we will start to see a lot more large and athletic people drawn to this sport as the opportunities provided by mma continue to expand and grow.
cool, thanks man. That was exactly how I reasoned it out in my head, funny that's what he said. And duffee is a freak, he looks like as lean as a 170 pound guy. Rothwell, not so much. Nice manboobies

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Thing is though that a guy at 170 weighs quite a bit more, since a guy like Rothwell is never gonna make 205 anyway there isn't the same incentive to lower the body fat % to get into the lowest possible weight class.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I know that, and you are right, but don't you think most guys would benefit to have as little fat on their body as possible when fighting. I mean, they spend hours a day training, it's their life, how can you have so much fat on you. I'm around 167, 5'10 with around 5 or 6% body fat, I'm not a professional athlete or anything, but I believe in good health so I do a lot of cardio and weightlifting. If an average dude like me who works out max an hour and a half a day these guys should all be in phenomenal shape. I know my lower overall size really helps keep off some of the weight, but still, how can rothwell come into the UFC in that bad of shape.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
A guy like Rothwell is naturally so big and strong that he always has an advantage for that reason they tend not to spend as much time working with a strenght coach and lifting weights burns alot of fat, I believe even more than cardio work.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A guy like Rothwell is naturally so big and strong that he always has an advantage for that reason they tend not to spend as much time working with a strenght coach and lifting weights burns alot of fat, I believe even more than cardio work.
I didn't think of that, and obviously never have been in an mma gym. It makes perfect sense though.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Most of the biggest heavyweights are in UFC.

The decent ones, at least.
True - but still, why is there only one Brock Lesner? I mean it's diff in Eng but I imagine in America, there are more giant but fast-ish Athletes - just not in mma
. While Shane, Gabriel and Duffee are also big - they aren't as big as Brock.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There arent many large athletic guys out there, they are rare. Most athletic people weigh under 200 pounds.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
True - but still, why is there only one Brock Lesner? I mean it's diff in Eng but I imagine in America, there are more giant but fast-ish Athletes - just not in mma
. While Shane, Gabriel and Duffee are also big - they aren't as big as Brock.
I'm also not sure if Carwin has had to cut to 265 yet. IIRC he was around 259 for his Gonzaga fight? I think Gonzaga was the same weight.

IMO Shane is a big dude but he isn't quite Lesnar sized.

Other seriously big guys who aren't in the UFC are Bobby Lashley and Mariusz Pudzianowski. Lashley is training at ATT and rumor has it he's joining SF. Mariusz is fighting in december in KSW. I don't think Lashley would have to cut to 265 necessarily but Mariusz will definitely have to cut hard. He's a much bigger/stronger guy than Lesnar and will most likely struggle with the cut.

Guy on the left. :thumbsup:

There are plenty of big guys making their way into MMA and I'm sure in five years, there might even be enough guys cutting to 265 to make a SHW class.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
let them take roids like they do in europe and asia and there will be plenty of monsters in the HW division. That dude above looks jacked as hell on the juice btw.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
let them take roids like they do in europe and asia and there will be plenty of monsters in the HW division. That dude above looks jacked as hell on the juice btw.
Are you stupid? People in Europe get banned from sports for taking steroids, just like they do in American. The guy on the left had his worlds strongest man title taken of him one year as he had steroids in his system. Since then he has won the trophy a few times without being on steroids as the people who take part in the competition are tested. Please do some research before posting on topics you know nothing about. Type in the name Dwaine Chambers on google and you will see what happens to athletes who use steroids

·
Registered
642 Posts
yeah I know that, and you are right, but don't you think most guys would benefit to have as little fat on their body as possible when fighting. I mean, they spend hours a day training, it's their life, how can you have so much fat on you. I'm around 167, 5'10 with around 5 or 6% body fat, I'm not a professional athlete or anything, but I believe in good health so I do a lot of cardio and weightlifting. If an average dude like me who works out max an hour and a half a day these guys should all be in phenomenal shape. I know my lower overall size really helps keep off some of the weight, but still, how can rothwell come into the UFC in that bad of shape.
Well, 5'10" 165 is just a little dude, and trust me, you don't maintain 5 or 6% body fat without being on a pretty ridiculous diet. Probably closer to 8 or 9%. Just a common judgement error when people are estimating BF%.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I'd like to point out that this is fighting, not a fashion show. To pretend like someone needs a sixpack to be "in shape" or an athlete... :confused03:

And we shouldn't complain, MMA has some of the highest density of flexible, ripped, in shape athletes of any sport. How many six packs are in football? How many times do they need to give football players oxygen?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you don't count hockey, football and basketball players.
You are missing the point. What he was saying was it all numbers. Not many 6'4-6'7" 280lb guys exist in the general population to begin with. Not to mention 1) they must be athletic (limits to pool to choose from), and 2) they need to be proficient in fighting.

For those of you who enjoy math equations, it is simplaying saying that P(fighter|atheltic|large) is very small... There just aren't as many people to choose from.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
I'm also not sure if Carwin has had to cut to 265 yet. IIRC he was around 259 for his Gonzaga fight? I think Gonzaga was the same weight.

IMO Shane is a big dude but he isn't quite Lesnar sized.

Other seriously big guys who aren't in the UFC are Bobby Lashley and Mariusz Pudzianowski. Lashley is training at ATT and rumor has it he's joining SF. Mariusz is fighting in december in KSW. I don't think Lashley would have to cut to 265 necessarily but Mariusz will definitely have to cut hard. He's a much bigger/stronger guy than Lesnar and will most likely struggle with the cut.

Guy on the left. :thumbsup:

There are plenty of big guys making their way into MMA and I'm sure in five years, there might even be enough guys cutting to 265 to make a SHW class.
That's assuming he can pass the tests for US sanctioning. he has been caught juicing before.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts