Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Will Chael get the immediate rematch??

• Yes! He deserves it after his performance in their first match!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No! He couldn't finish him in 4 1/2 rounds and tapped! Get in line.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Silva being hurt, Sonnen will get Vitor

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Both Vitor and Sonnen will get different opponents

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the fight is over, and the word going around that Sonnen may or may not be getting a rematch, what do you think should happen? Should he get a rematch? Should Sonnen step back and they give it to Vitor?

I personally say yes and no.

On one hand, I say no to the rematch.. As someone stated before here on the forum, if he couldn't finish him, why get a rematch? As dominant as Sonnen was, other than the rib injury Silva further injured, it seemed that Silva took the punishment pretty well. 5 rounds and Silva looked fine. He didn't' have a lot of swelling, maybe minor cuts, and other than the few shots up top he took in the first round or so, he never seemed like he was in the "Looking to finish!" zone that Goldberg ends up announcing when someone is in trouble.

And plus, as many of the times Sonnen's lost to the triangle, you'd think he'd be more careful. He wasn't, he lost, time for him to fight for the chance again.

Even though the comparisons are a bit far fetched, but in a way, it's like someone saying Shane deserves an instant rematch because he smashed Brock the first round, and Brock came back and submitted him really quick.

And looking at all that, you have Vitor who was told he would get a rematch, and even though he's been injured, that promise is still intact. So lets give him that fight and have Sonnen battle someone else for number one contendership.

On the OTHER hand, I say yes to the rematch. Yes Vitor was promised that fight, however his injuries have put him back. What happens if he comes back and he isn't the same Vitor as he was before because of those injuries.. Then the whole "He has ring rust, he just got back from an injury" angle comes into play. Why not have him face someone as a semi warm up/number one contender match (Kinda an oxymoron I know) to see if he's up to par with him being out for a long time, and then if he wins THAT fight, have him fight the champion.

And to play devil's advocate, other than Rich Franklin and Matt Lindland, (Which his Rich fight was is first UFC fight since UFC 51 where he lost to Tito) were his affliction wins against impressive fighters? Perhaps at the time? Perhaps he needs to prove one more time, especially after his injury, that he still has it.

After all this, my opinion is this.. Silva seems like he's going to be out till February or March of NEXT year.. This is where Vitor and Sonnen could face eachother for the number one contender. Perhaps the fight being in November. Then the title fight could happen in March of April.

So that's my intake on both sides. Opinions? What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
To quote Dana "It's all about timing." Belfort is most likely going to fight someone now that Silva is out. Say Belfort loses that fight to someone like Leben/Okami/Wanderlei. Then we have another contender on our hands.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Silva will be out for a while so in the meantime Belfort can fight Okami and Sonnen can fight Bisping if he gets past Akiyama and then well figure it all out from there.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I think the fact that Sonnen was subbed in the end, and it wasn't some dodgy Machida/Rua esque decision, then it should be Vitor. He was beaten legit, despite putting on the performance of his life, bring on Vitor, Give Sonnen another top contender, and then, provided he wins, he fights the winner of Silva/Belfort.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a touchy topic...

Generally there have not been many instant rematches based on the fight being close. So that can go either way.

On the one hand I think Sonnen deserves the rematch, and on the other hand I think Silva deserves it as well. If its the match most people wnat to see, then it will happen.

I do wnat to see Belfort against SIlva, but I think it would be better for Vitor if it was after a few matches in the UFC to get the rest of the ring rust off.

Belfort-Sonnen could kill future matches. Belfort always had a problem with wrestlers and if he lost the Silva-Belfort match would be out, for a while anyway.

Now we have injuries in the mix as well. Most likely scenario: Beflort and Sonnen will get other matches and once Silva recovers he will face one of them. I don't see the UFC throwing Beflort and Sonnen in together yet; then again it might happen, if they think it'll be a good draw.

I think Dtwizzy2k5 summed up the best above.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I sure hope its Victor , its only fitting that after his long lay off he takes another fight to prove hes still deserving of a title shot then go from there , Sure Sonnen and Silva would be EPIC but after the hype settled and you brake things down this isnt a good move for the UFC as they wouldnt be able to sell the fight like they did the first time and nowhere near as profitable as a Victor Vs Silva card , lets face SOnnen had his chance and couldnt do anything , why would he get a immediate rematch ? he was finished it wasnt a decesion , he hit silva with everything he had and nothing came from it , he took him to the ground and was on top for almost25mins still nothing....

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I sure hope its Victor , its only fitting that after his long lay off he takes another fight to prove hes still deserving of a title shot then go from there , Sure Sonnen and Silva would be EPIC but after the hype settled and you brake things down this isnt a good move for the UFC as they wouldnt be able to sell the fight like they did the first time and nowhere near as profitable as a Victor Vs Silva card , lets face SOnnen had his chance and couldnt do anything , why would he get a immediate rematch ? he was finished it wasnt a decesion , he hit silva with everything he had and nothing came from it , he took him to the ground and was on top for almost25mins still nothing....
Ok where to start... Oh I know I keep hearing you talk about Victor not only in this thread, who is this mystery fighter?
Next, I'm a Silva fan, to say Sonnen did nothing in that fight is insane. He may not of visibly injured Silva but he had the fight won and let himself get caught. People want a rematch because it is the best fight thrown at Silva since he came to the UFC. He has been punching people in the thighs, hands and stomach out of bordem.

To the topic no, he should not get a rematch. Originally I was all with the idea, then some things came to my attention via the forum. Fedor was beating Werdum and lost, he shouldn't get a rematch. The Brock fight, Carwin shouldn't get a rematch. Sonnen tapped, as said before no decision, no close call, but a clear cut submission.

It was a great fight. The similarities about these fights is the losers are good fighters, so good that they will be back within a fight or two. When they come back it will not be the same fight on any of them, hell the winners may stay the same in rematches. You never know but we all know that they will be great fights with a lot of hype. Vitor will probably be fighting someone else while Silva heals the rib, but I'm a big Vitor fan and hope he will be a contender soon. At the same time Vitor vs Sonnen interests me., I never thought of that possibility.

Then again I like seeing Bisping get beat up, so id like to see sonnen fight him. Even Wanderlei vs Vitor is interesting to me.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Hopefully Vitor. Sonnon did a fantastic job of controlling the fight, but he still lost in the end. As the challenger, he does not deserve an immediate rematch. That basically says that he "deserved" to win and should get a shot to do it the way it should have gone. This was not a bad stoppage, a DQ, or any other crap like that. He was subbed and tapped. Everything leading up to that doesn't really matter.

All that will be cruicial, however, when examining his road back to a title shot.

Vitor was next before Sonnen B/S'd his way to a title fight, and therefore needs to be the next to get a shot.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Hopefully Vitor. Sonnon did a fantastic job of controlling the fight, but he still lost in the end. As the challenger, he does not deserve an immediate rematch. That basically says that he "deserved" to win and should get a shot to do it the way it should have gone. This was not a bad stoppage, a DQ, or any other crap like that. He was subbed and tapped. Everything leading up to that doesn't really matter.

All that will be cruicial, however, when examining his road back to a title shot.

Vitor was next before Sonnen B/S'd his way to a title fight, and therefore needs to be the next to get a shot.
If only it worked that way, all logical-like as you put forth.:)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
With Anderson out for a while, I REALLY want to see Sonnen vs. Vitor and have the winner face Silva when he returns.

Sonnen vs. Bisping does nothing and I think that indicates they'll want Vitor vs. Silva before a Silva/Sonnen rematch.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Silva will be out for a while so in the meantime Belfort can fight Okami and Sonnen can fight Bisping if he gets past Akiyama and then well figure it all out from there.

I see more of this happening too, although Sonnon would make Bisping look like a complete idiot....

And with Joe Silva prob knowing this, he might avoid it all together and just give him Vitor....

And all i can see is Sonnon taking a second victory over Okami if they do face again....

I just hope that the big reason Anderson was able to be controlled like he was, was because of his Rib, or because all the smack talk and pressure took him off his game just slightly enough to where he would throw a bit to wildly, and give someone like Sonnon ur knee to take down....

I see Anderson winning in the Sonnon rematch, but he better use this time now, to 100% work off his back, relearn what strikes to use against someone like Sonnon

Because FLYING KNEES R Effective, but UR GIVING A WRESTLER YOUR KNEE!!!!

And take it from me... Thats a really stupid idea, especially if Chael already controlled him so well on the ground so you knew he was looking for any oppertunity he can to take it down...

Interesting Matches in the MW division though... Its refreshing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I added a poll via someone's request..

On a recent tweet, Bisping made an insult towards Sonnen, and Sonnen said "If he (Bisping) ever makes a comment like that to me in public again, i'll bury him where he stands."

So maybe we'll see Bisping and Sonnen? Might be a good fight.

But now I know for sure that Silva will be gone, I think as Sonnen said in MMAlive, that he may be Silva's instant rematch, but it won't be his. I say Sonnen and Vitor.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Okami should fight Vitor and after Okami mauls him for 3 rounds he should get the title shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts