Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering who on here actually fights competitively in MMA and also if anyone just trains in it?

just, y'know, cos im nosey like that...so :

Do you Train in MMA?
If so, how long have you trained?

Do you compete?
If so, at what level?

If you don't train in MMA or dont compete, what are the reasons for this?

:)

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I have trained Jitz, Marine Corps Martial Arts (MCMAP) and Army Combatives for a total of 9 years now. Ive been training in a MMA gym for about 7 months now.

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool!

Im a relative Newbie to it as i trained boxing for a bout a yeah then moved onto MMA about 6 months ago.

Doubt I'll ever fight competatively though as my wife recently had a baby so i dont have the time to commit to the training required.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
Cool!

Im a relative Newbie to it as i trained boxing for a bout a yeah then moved onto MMA about 6 months ago.

Doubt I'll ever fight competatively though as my wife recently had a baby so i dont have the time to commit to the training required.
i'm noob, been doing it for about a month and at the moment i would get whooped and my boxing co-ordination sucks, if you have done it for 6 months you can fight right now if your coach thinks you are ready.

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, i know i could fight right now, but i'd want to train 4-5 times a week for the 3 months prior to a fight but that just isnt possible at the minute.

·
15,563 Posts
oh, i know i could fight right now, but i'd want to train 4-5 times a week for the 3 months prior to a fight but that just isnt possible at the minute.
yeah you need good cardio, technique, flexibility the works, but you'll be starting at amateur so if you already have a pretty strong physique then you would probably win atm.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
That woould be ideal Killstarz....Ive had to take a couple weeks off because I pulled a bunch of shit in my side but Im back at it 3-4 times a week 430 till whenever lol

·
15,563 Posts
That woould be ideal Killstarz....Ive had to take a couple weeks off because I pulled a bunch of shit in my side but Im back at it 3-4 times a week 430 till whenever lol
sooooo this would be your 1st mma fight then since you have been training for 7 months?

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah you need good cardio, technique, flexibility the works, but you'll be starting at amateur so if you already have a pretty strong physique then you would probably win atm.
my cardio is already decent and i'd say my standup is good. My Jits is real basic at the minute though and i wouldnt be comfortable going into a fight where i couldn't defend myself on the ground.

i'm in no hurry though, im not in mma to compete, i just enjoy the training and learning new stuff. If the day comes where i feel like i can commit to fighting then i will go for it.

·
15,563 Posts
my cardio is already decent and i'd say my standup is good. My Jits is real basic at the minute though and i wouldnt be comfortable going into a fight where i couldn't defend myself on the ground.

i'm in no hurry though, im not in mma to compete, i just enjoy the training and learning new stuff. If the day comes where i feel like i can commit to fighting then i will go for it.
yeah if you ain't ready there is no rush, i have learned that whenever you are on your back and they try to transition that you should always hold onto dear life on one of the legs or back(i know that might be common knowledge) i pretty much need all the skills and fitness you have now and more b4 i'm ready

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I want to fight at 185.....2 months ago I was 220 Im now at 205 Ill need to lose 10 more lbs so I can cut with no problems....But If I cant drop the 10 Ill probably just go in at 205 and see how I fair

·
15,563 Posts
I want to fight at 185.....2 months ago I was 220 Im now at 205 Ill need to lose 10 more lbs so I can cut with no problems....But If I cant drop the 10 Ill probably just go in at 205 and see how I fair
all i can say is sauna and exercise bike, you'll be ther in no time

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
funny you should say that cos im currently on a rest period having torn my Roatator cuff a couple of weeks ago.
Sucks is not the word. I hate not being able to train.

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im currently at 172ish...if i were to fight i'd probably cut to 155...alternatively i have plans to get back to the gym and hit the weights properly so if i can put on 10-15lb of lean muscle i'd go in at 170. (this is all theoretical though)

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
funny you should say that cos im currently on a rest period having torn my Roatator cuff a couple of weeks ago.
Sucks is not the word. I hate not being able to train.

I know it...my injury was a freak chance.....I was in a guys guard and got swept....now he was in mount but his heel was under my left side...I bucked and bridged and it felt like I cramped up on my left side....But it didnt go away and I almost wasnt able to stand up.........oh and UFC trust me I have been hittin it hard this week I want to walk around at 195 -200 at anytime ....I think 15 would be my max for a cut

1 - 20 of 29 Posts