·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i choose sonnen 2

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Don't get me wrong i'd love to see Chael and Silva go at it again but the end of the fight wasn't controversial! The outcome cannot be questioned so why he deserves and immediate rematch is beyond me.
If in the superbowl one team completely outclasses the other but loses the game to a last minute touchdown, would you ask for a rematch cos it wasn't fair?
In England we call it a smash and grab victory - maybe not 100% deserved but 100% legitimate, so let Silva fight Belfort, and if Chael keeps fighting like that he'll get another shot soon enough anyways.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my point is that we pretty much already know vitor will get koed or tkoed or whatever, we know silva will beat him

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Silva/Vitor for sure. I am sick of the loser of a title bout getting rematches so quickly. Also, if Silva lets Vitor hit him like Sonnen did, Vitor is going to hurt him much more.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Sonnen vs Belfort; Silva vs Jones at 205. TBH.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
my point is that we pretty much already know vitor will get koed or tkoed or whatever, we know silva will beat him
How do you figure? Vitor's striking is better than any other fighter's that Anderson has fought thus far in his career. If someone like Chael Sonnen can hurt Silva striking, then I am very confident that Belfort could. Belfort is easily the better striker out of him and everyone that Silva has fought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Despite Chael's awesome display I voted for Silva-Belfort.

You simply cannot keep handing guys championship matches "just because". For the rankings to mean anything they must be respected. While Chael did a wonderful job Saturday night he still botched at the last second. It is what the difference between a champion and a challenger really is. Chael SHOULD have won that fight. Silva DID because he was able to maintain composure and apply correct technique.

Vitor, while thrust into this situation, deserves his shot at the gold.

Chael will make a comeback I'm sure and at that time he'll get his rematch. Until then let the guys who deserve their shots have them.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

You simply cannot keep handing guys championship matches "just because". For the rankings to mean anything they must be respected. While Chael did a wonderful job Saturday night he still botched at the last second. It is what the difference between a champion and a challenger really is. Chael SHOULD have won that fight. Silva DID because he was able to maintain composure and apply correct technique.

Chael will make a comeback I'm sure and at that time he'll get his rematch. Until then let the guys who deserve their shots have them.
Exactly THIS. Chael is great, but these title shots should be earned otherwise it devalues them. I could understand the Shogun/Machida 1 thing as there was a somewhat clear winner who got taken the piss out of. But Chael needs at least two wins over decent competition to be in with a chance again. I think he'll come back strong and probably finish Silva next time around.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Yes, I believe "the show must go on", Vitor's next in line
and has been ever since his shot at the title was announced
last year (and I've very much been looking forward to this match). Finish wasn't controversial as many agree, and given Sonnen's performance, he will definitely still be "in the mix" and hopefully up for another shot in 2-3 matches' time.

I imagine Anderson will be much more careful against Vitor while on his feet (I believe his sloppy stand-up vs Sonnen was the result of effective trash-talk tactics and the following stress factor, and in any case, against Belfort, Silva will not have to worry as much about takedowns so he'll be more relaxed on the feet).

·
Registered
583 Posts

Yes, I believe "the show must go on", Vitor's next in line
and has been ever since his shot at the title was announced
last year (and I've very much been looking forward to this match). Finish wasn't controversial as many agree, and given Sonnen's performance, he will definitely still be "in the mix" and hopefully up for another shot in 2-3 matches' time.

I imagine Anderson will be much more careful against Vitor while on his feet (I believe his sloppy stand-up vs Sonnen was the result of effective trash-talk tactics and the following stress factor, and in any case, against Belfort, Silva will not have to worry as much about takedowns so he'll be more relaxed on the feet).
Ok, but what did Vitor do in the UFC to earn a shot at the title? beat Rich Franklin?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Silva-Belfort just to get Vitor's name off the #1 contender spot already. Wow this has been one the most delayed fights ever.

It'll be nice to finally see where he ranks in the MW division these days anyway. I know how you guys love those ranking lists. :sarcastic12:

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Does anyone remember when Vitor was suppose to fight Fedor after Barnett tested for roids, i wonder how that would of turned out.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I think MMA "fans" may prefer a Vitor vs Anderson, but the iron is still hot for Sonnen and Silva. If we're talking mass interest, thus, PPV buys, I would not be surprised in the least in an immediate rubber match.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Since you're only giving me those 2 options I'll go with A vs S 2, but in reality I'd like Chael to get a shot at Vitor for number one contender spot.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts

if the demand is there and the money is waiting, just because tends to work out.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
After heavy discussion in the Chael Sonnen thread, I changed my decision. To many valid points. I am going for Silva vs Belfort. Sonnen will get another shot with Silva, soon I see him running through people to get another shot...

I am interested to see the Belfort fight and didnt even realize that he was the number one contender. I am a huge AS fan, but I am a big Belfort fan as well so it will be a painful fight to watch but either way im happy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts