Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

After seeing yet another Sotiropoulos clinic at UFC 116, my mind when straight to - who will they feed him next?

1) How about Evan Dunham? I personally think that'd be an INSANE fight as Dunham has looked really solid against Escudero and Griffin, and he's undefeated. Although I see Soti UD'ing him, Dunham would definitely be his toughest test to date (yes, I do see Dunham beating Joe Daddy and Batman).

2) The loser of Kenny v Maynard. Now, I'm assuming Kenflo will take this one, so I'll be interested to see Sotiropoulos against Maynard - although this one could easily go the same way as Soti's last 2 fights. If Maynard was to beat Kenny, I see Kenny being a little too much for Soti (at this moment in time).

Anyway, 1) is the more likely scenario right now, however a win against the loser of Kenny/Maynard would catapult him to a LW title shot. Whatever happens, this guys gonna continue to rise and will, eventually, become LW champion ;)

Thoughts?

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Hey guys,

After seeing yet another Sotiropoulos clinic at UFC 116, my mind when straight to - who will they feed him next?

1) How about Evan Dunham? I personally think that'd be an INSANE fight as Dunham has looked really solid against Escudero and Griffin, and he's undefeated. Although I see Soti UD'ing him, Dunham would definitely be his toughest test to date (yes, I do see Dunham beating Joe Daddy and Batman).

2) The loser of Kenny v Maynard. Now, I'm assuming Kenflo will take this one, so I'll be interested to see Sotiropoulos against Maynard - although this one could easily go the same way as Soti's last 2 fights. If Maynard was to beat Kenny, I see Kenny being a little too much more Soti (at this moment in time).

Anyway, 1) is the more likely scenario right now, however a win against the loser of Kenny/Maynard would catapult him to a LW title shot. Whatever happens, this guys gonna continue to rise and will, eventually, become LW champion ;)

Thoughts?
Why not guida?

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
He just beat a striker with decent grappling. Pearson's grappling sucks compared to Batman...
.... He meant he'd like to see PEARSON beat a striker with decent grappling :thumb02:

Would be a brilliant fight. I'd give the edge to overall striking to Pearson. But if Soti gets it to the ground (which will happen over the 3 rounds) Pearsons going to be in danger.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not guida?
I see Soti wrecking Guida in exact same fashion as Kenny did.

Pearson I guess, I'd like to see how he does against a striker with decent grappling.
Very good matchup actually, Pearson's got solid standup - however I still give Sotiropoulos a slight edge because of his footwork and head movement, and the ground game definitely goes to Soti - so yeah I see him taking out Pearson.

·
Registered
411 Posts
George against Evan Dunham is the fight I'd be most interested in seeing at this point. Both are riding impressive win streaks and I think it would be very close with George getting a UD.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If UFC can hype Dunham up maybe that would be a good fight, but it just doesn't seem like that is going to get them closer to a title shot. Both they need to be hyped more as contenders before they're going to get their title shots.

Personally I wish Sherk was still active. Beating him would still give either guy an almost instant title shot after putting up such impressive win streaks.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
He just beat a striker with decent grappling. Pearson's grappling sucks compared to Batman...
Batman is a wrestler and he isn't better than Pearson standing.

I see Soti wrecking Guida in exact same fashion as Kenny did.

Very good matchup actually, Pearson's got solid standup - however I still give Sotiropoulos a slight edge because of his footwork and head movement, and the ground game definitely goes to Soti - so yeah I see him taking out Pearson.
I agree about guida but I think Pearson is a lot faster coming in and out and with his combinations than George is. It would be a fun fight but yeah unless Soti gets KOed early he would win once it hit the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I don't think that Pearson deserves that step up in competition yet. He hasn't really beaten anyone that solid. Dunham and George have around the same quality of wins. George beating Stevenson and Pellegrino, and Dunham beating Escudero and Griffin makes this fight make sense. I don't think George beating Pearson would push him that far up the ladder at this point.

It's funny, I was actually thinking Dunham and George would make sense for a fight before I saw this thread.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I don't think that Pearson deserves that step up in competition yet. He hasn't really beaten anyone that solid. Dunham and George have around the same quality of wins. George beating Stevenson and Pellegrino, and Dunham beating Escudero and Griffin makes this fight make sense. I don't think George beating Pearson would push him that far up the ladder at this point.

It's funny, I was actually thinking Dunham and George would make sense for a fight before I saw this thread.
I think it shouldn't happen because of how close both guys are. I see it much in the same way I see JDS/Cain wait till it means more to put that fight on.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Everything George does is tight.

His standup defense is top notch, one of the few who will keep his hands up all fight and he's starting to show his boxing is improving dramatically.

His ground game off his back and on top is insane. I haven't seen many people better at getting to mission control and completely shutting down an opponents top game.

aussie aussie ausszzeh!

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
^ Agreed. His ground game is extremely good, SO offensive with it, it's super entertaining to watch. He's so active. I love Pearson but don't think he can survive on the ground with Soti.

Pearson's much more versatile with his standup though and has a great chin. It could be a fantastic stand up war, or a quick sub depending on whether Soti can take it to the mat.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I think it shouldn't happen because of how close both guys are. I see it much in the same way I see JDS/Cain wait till it means more to put that fight on.
That makes sense, I thought of that after. Neither of them are really fan favorites yet either so that wouldn't help if they fought. One guy would get sent to the bottom of the ladder, and the other just beat a guy a lot of casual fans don't know much about.

Why not have George fight the loser of Penn vs. Edgar, or the loser of Florian vs. Maynard? Unless he wants to get back into the octagon as soon as possible.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Assuming that the winner of Florian / Maynard gets the next title shot, then Sotir should fight the loser. However, for some inexplicable reason the winner of Florian / Maynard doesn't get the next title shot (don't see how that's possible), then Sotir vs. winner for #1 contender

1 - 20 of 30 Posts