Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might belong in training (if so, id love it if someone could move it if it can be done), but how (everyone please leave an answer) do you improve your speed and strength.

I was told by my last partner during class that I wasn't striking the right way. according to him, I was just throwing punches (kinda like rock'em sock'em robots) and then he told me to rotate my hips when i did and turn my shoulders over.

I was getting some decent speed and power for a complete beginner, but after this, i focused more on getting the technique down than speed or strength.

Also id appreciate more than a simple "they come with practice". i know that, but im looking for more than just that. something that will help speed it up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your partner is correct and unfortunately there is no real quick fix. I still don't have it all down after over 2 yrs. Punching is not a normal, intuitive action. As you get more technically proficient, speed and power will come.

Stick with it.

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
Wouldn't it be so much easier if they invented Instant Muscle haha One injection and your muscles grow before your very eyes haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your partner is correct and unfortunately there is no real quick fix. I still don't have it all down after over 2 yrs. Punching is not a normal, intuitive action. As you get more technically proficient, speed and power will come.

Stick with it.
ugh eff my life. Im sad now

Wouldn't it be so much easier if they invented Instant Muscle haha One injection and your muscles grow before your very eyes haha
it would indeed, but from what ive been told, muscle has a small amount to do with actual punching strength

·
HeadlessNorseman?
131 Posts
1. repetition is the key. Get your technique solid, practice untill your arms and legs fall off and work on technique some more. You can throw 2000 punches and kicks and only a handfull of them should feel "solid". Try to remember how those shots felt and try to repeat them.

2.Really take the time to analyze your own technique and form, other people in your gym, and videos online. Where people place their feet, the angle of their shoulders/back/hips, etc. Striking is very synergistic, and like previosuly said is not a natural movement. every little movement, form, and actions adds up.

3. As far as training, I noticed a huge improvement in my striking power when i started taking ab/core training seriously, so i definitely recommend that. And another huge noticeable gain in my kicks was when i started doing "jump" style workouts, such as jump burpees and rip squats. As for your upper body im sure plyometric pushups and stuff like that would help out a ton. But just remember technique is number 1!!! hope this helps

·
Registered
205 Posts
ugh eff my life. Im sad now

it would indeed, but from what ive been told, muscle has a small amount to do with actual punching strength
that's not true I mean punching involves movment and that only happens because of muscle so just ignore that, it is likely they were trying to imply that bigger people are not always harder punchers but I am not the person that said it so I can't be sure what they were really meaning.

Something that helped me was to go through the movements of punches really slowly
and reps of that

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats usually what i do. I go to the heavy bag for about fifteen or twenty minutes and do slow kicks and punches just to make sure i get the technique down, then work on power during the actual class

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
There are a lot of various exercises that can help to develop better speed and explosiveness with strikes, which in turn (assuming proper form) leads to more power. The whole idea is the more kinetic energy to can transfer into the other guy's face, the better.

All of these workouts can only get you so far. With them as additions to regular shadowboxing/sparring you can see significant improvement. These have all worked for me, but everyone's is different and can react differently to training practices.

There are plenty of workouts designed to better develop hand speed/punching power. I can think of a few off the top of my head.
1. Resistance. Things like resistance bands, even light weights held in the fists, while shadowboxing can held improve hand speed. Its the same principle as train in 16oz gloves and fight in 4oz gloves.

2. Snatch grab. Flip a stick/rock in the air so that it hovers at head level, and snap out your opposite hand and catch it, repeat. That's another. Its all about developing the explosive momements of a punch in training.

3. Dumbbell chest press. Think of these like reverse punches. start with the weight at the rib cage, and pump them forward into a punch. This should be done with a weight that allows you to push just hard enough to make the dumbbells feel almost weightless in your hands at the peak of the rep. A decent 4-5/10-15 is a great addition as well.

Also: I can't believe punching is not a natural motion. Human beings in one evolutionary state or another have been punching each other and various forms of prey animals for the better part of a million years. Its natural to punch things, it just takes time to get it right!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would like to add handball, it's cheap cus you just need a wall and some space to rush back and forth without running into anything and a tennis ball. It helps you with hand speed in general
it's also more fun then you would think

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. Resistance. Things like resistance bands, even light weights held in the fists, while shadowboxing can held improve hand speed. Its the same principle as train in 16oz gloves and fight in 4oz gloves.
so would wearing something like wrist weights help? I had that thought but i didnt know how well it would work out. itd seem like it be a combo of this one and the the weights in hand
I would like to add handball, it's cheap cus you just need a wall and some space to rush back and forth without running into anything and a tennis ball. It helps you with hand speed in general
it's also more fun then you would think
it is very fun, but i cant think of a place I could do it around where i liev

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
so would wearing something like wrist weights help? I had that thought but i didnt know how well it would work out. itd seem like it be a combo of this one and the the weights in hand
Well, there are actual weights for your hands that they sell at places like Dicks Sporting Goods or a decent sized Wal-Mart. These are the top tier stuff, but pretty much any small weights, like 2-5lb dumbbells that are used by the emmaciated or for cardio kickboxing work very well in this way.

There is a small chance that this can lead to joint injury. Its worked out prety fine for me, no after effects of any significant nature, however I'd look into a joint support supplement if you don't already take one, just to be safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I suggest resistance bands over weights, when shadowboxing. The problem I have with wrist weights/weighted gloves is that the weight isn't just working against the directional force of your punch, it's also working with gravity to pull down on your arm/fist. Which means while you use the weights, you're either targetting higher to compensate for the downward drag, or you're straining extra muscles that normally aren't used in a punch, because there's normally nothing pushing down on your punch.

Resistance bands however, are virtually weightless, and only apply resistance directly against your punch.

I suppose you could use very light weights that wouldn't have much downward drag, but then that kind of seems to defeat the purpose a little bit. Only thing I'd use 'heavy' weights for is vertical stuff, axe kicks and uppercuts pretty much.

Just my take on it, though.

-North

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your take. I didnt really plan on going out and getting like some random nonsense thats like twenty+ lbs. the heaviest i saw/considered was about five. so i suppose when I can, ill get it and test it out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take the time to analyze your technique and form, others in your gym and video online. When people put their feet, the angle of their shoulders / back / hip, etc. strike is very synergistic, and as said previosuly is not a natural movement. every little movement, form and drop actions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.