Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Frankie Edgar Fan
504 Posts
LOL ----- Here's a big THANK YOU to all the haters out there!!!!!! My boy is taking that belt back to Jersey tonight. Before Frankie got the nod, no one had anything bad to say about him, but then he gets the shot and holy crap the flood gates opened "edgar shouldn't be in the same sentence as bj", "bj will finish him in the first", blaa blaaa pooping blaaa .....There is nothing to say now in no way did Bj win the fight so don't even try that...Will all the haters now respect the new champ?....Don't forget he has beating sherk and penn --only done by matt h and gsp before But i don't want to talk sh-t on here, but the weeks leading to today have gotten me pissed reading all the hate and bull ......Well no worries now, my boy performed the way i have been saying BJ will go up to welter and we'll see edgar-gray II next.SO LONG FROM TOMS RIVER,NJ

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Funny, most people here seemed to think BJ would win but most thought it would be a competitive fights.

Oh yeah and this

I dont see frankie going go out there and beat the hell out of BJ but ill tell you this, he'll give it one hell try.... Frankie is a hard worker and great strategizer (randy) ..As personal friend of frankie, I can say BJ is the best LW in the world and is not losing any time soon (@ LW) but im so excited that my boy is facing the champ and he has got to top of the LW mountain ....Good job Frankie ..Ill be rooting for you
http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/70181-dana-white-frankie-edgar-not-gray-maynard-face-bj-penn-next-3.html#post1090735

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
I'm not a hater but franky edgar having the belt is hard to beleive. It feels almsot unreal cause one month ago i had to google frankie to see who the hell he really was. I knew who he was but did not really know his history.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
LOL ----- Here's a big F YOU to all the haters out there!!!!!! My boy is taking that belt back to Jersey tonight. Before Frankie got the nod, no one had anything bad to say about him, but then he gets the shot and holy crap the flood gates opened "edgar shouldn't be in the same sentence as bj", "bj will finish him in the first", blaa blaaa f-ing blaaa .....There is nothing to say now in no way did Bj win the fight so don't even try that...Will all the haters now respect the new champ?....Don't forget he has beating sherk and penn --only done by matt h and gsp before But i don't want to talk sh-t on here, but the weeks leading to today have gotten me pissed reading all the hate and bull ......Well no worries now, my boy performed the way i have been saying BJ will go up to welter and we'll see edgar-gray II next.SO LONG FROM TOMS RIVER,NJ
I'm with you bro, except there's no "F YOU" from me :p

Great job done by Frankie. He's such a great technical fighter who really blew everyone away against BJ. I was rooting for him, put 50k on him and everything, however I have to admit I was still afraid because BJ is a beast. Frankie just kept moving and stayed out of trouble and I can't wait to see him wreck Maynard now ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
It was close. I'm not a Penn fan, but I really thought that he had the fight until round 5. But that was the most decisive round. So it makes sense in retrospect. I was happy to see the title change hands.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I said before the Kenny fight that he had no chance and that Frankie was the only guy I could see winning a fight against BJ in the UFC at 155. That being said this was similar to the Forrest/Rampage fight to me the judging was really awful but either guy could be justified in being given the decision. I ain't mad at ya Frankie but I will be if you lose to Kenny and let that nerd hold the belt.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Personally I didn't think Frankie could win but I thought he could make it a good fight, I got laughed at by somebody this morning though for saying that he would do better than Kenny or Diego. I can't believe he won though, I was absolutly speechless afterwards but glad it was Frankie. I can't stand Diego or KenFlo. Frankie seems like a genuine good guy who works hard so its hard not to be happy for him.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know after the first round I was just like....um..ok..But he can't do that for 5 rounds BJ will catch him. By the 3rd I was like damn he is doing pretty good. It seems about even! Then by the 5th I was jumping out of my seat like get him Frankie just keep moving!

lol I know it's cheesy but it's pretty inspirational to me. The little guy that nobody gave much of a chance works his butt off and outworks BJ and pulls out a unanimous decsion win for the title. Good job guy!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wonder who he'll fight next? I think the UFC should book Maynard vs. Florian to determine the #1 contender. I don't think Maynard deserves it right now. His last couple of fights have been against good competition, but the last two were split decisions with the Diaz fight being especially controversial.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I didn't see the fight...Did it look like BJ was taking the fight to him to win? Did he underestimate Frankie?
No I don't think he underestimated him. Frankie Edgar pretty much found his one and only strategy that he could pull off to beat BJ Penn and worked it perfectly. lol all due respect to Frankie but that is the only way I can see him beating BJ. But that one way is all you need! Also he made BJ work so BJ was pretty tired by the last couple of rounds and Frankie even got a takedown which was unexpected.

Hey I guess this goes to show that styles really do make fights. Frankie beat BJ because of his style. Yet I bet there are other fighters who would get killed by BJ that can beat Frankie.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
I'm glad Frankie won. In a rematch though, I think BJ would win. BJ looked over confident and didn't adapt well to Frankie's game. It's like he forgot he was allowed to take him down. If BJ had top control on Frankie I think BJ would have won more rounds or maybe finished him. I think BJ's conditioning and overconfidence in his boxing is what lost it for him.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
I am happy for frankie but i still dont think he has the skills to be mentioned in the same sentence as bj and i see a rematch going kind of like the gsp serra 2. I actually think its good for the devision that bj lost though for now i have more fights to look forward too in that division.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I remember after Machida vs. Shogun that the favorable scoring for Machida was because "to be the champion, you have to BEAT the champion". Apparently this is an inconsistent scoring system, because if it were applied fairly across the board then BJ would have won this fight against Edgar.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I remember after Machida vs. Shogun that the favorable scoring for Machida was because "to be the champion, you have to BEAT the champion". Apparently this is an inconsistent scoring system, because if it were applied fairly across the board then BJ would have won this fight against Edgar.
I've never really understood that mentality anyway. The way I look at it, the title is up for grabs as soon as the fight starts. Sure, BJ was the champion coming in, but when the cage doors shut either fighter can claim that belt. Just score the fight normally, don't give the champion some kind of edge.

·
Registered
963 Posts
you know what ill be honest and admit that before tonight i really didnt think adgar belonged in the ring with penn, i thought penn would pick him apart like nothin and win via tko in round 2 or 3

buuuuut edgar proved me wrong, and not only did he beat bj but he beat bj at his own game (boxing), im impressed to say the least, best of luck to you in your next fight frankie

·
Registered
864 Posts
In my heart I was pulling for Edgar, and thought his movement and boxing could get the job done. Looking at LW Penn recently though you'd be a fool to bet against him. Glad Edgar pulled out the win, but I can't help but feel saddened for Penn, that loss was a big hit to the BJ Penn mobile that was speeding up. B4 the fight I joked to a friend "there will be a Penn movie one day, unless he loses this fight"

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's great to see a little shake up but unfortunately this looks like another blemish on the inconsistent judging (50-45?!?). Not to take anything away from Edgar as he worked hard and never slowed. But there's an argument for who controlled the fight and who was landing the quality shots (one damaging blow shouldn't be a round winner if it's not a fight ender, but hey I'm not a judge.)

I'm still not climbing on the frankie train just yet as I believe to be a champ you need to successfully defend and personally I just don't see him holding it for long.

This creates an interesting situation for the ufc as Edgar is relatively unknown and the ufc marketing machine is gonna have it's work cut out for it. But it does at least shake things up for the lw division for now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.