Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I would love to see it happen but it simply wont.

IMO mma refs need to be more active when this type of thing happens.

I would love to see the old PRIDE yellow card system used in todays MMA.........

The only rule changes I see in the future in MMA are going to be because of fighter getting injured, like I would be surprised to see elbows from the ground get banned as they already are in Strikeforce.......

MMA orgs simply dont have the power to change the rules. And there is always the lame argument that if so and so had better wrestling......bla bla bla

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Not only did they implement yellow cards, but they deducted 10% of the fighters' purse. That's why a lot of the fights were ACTION PACKED in Pride.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If it's clear that you're stalling I think a point deduction after a CLEAR VERBAL WARNING is justified.

I do think they need to stand up fights faster though. I see fights in Pride and the refs there were so much better, if the fighters weren't working on the ground constantly they would stand it up no questions asked. The UFC is too lenient on these guys.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
Not only did they implement yellow cards, but they deducted 10% of the fighters' purse. That's why a lot of the fights were ACTION PACKED in Pride.
its easy to be action packed when the winner is predetermined

honestly i think fighters are going to start figuring away to beat wrestlers ect .. just like they did with the bjj guys, learn and adapt.

The way fighters are fighting today will be completely different then the way they fight 5 to 10 years from now

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
its easy to be action packed when the winner is predetermined

honestly i think fighters are going to start figuring away to beat wrestlers ect .. just like they did with the bjj guys, learn and adapt.

The way fighters are fighting today will be completely different then the way they fight 5 to 10 years from now
Good point. A lot of the fighters are probably going to realize how well rounded you need to be in this sport.

Then people will start training pure MMA from the start. Not like it is now. How people train one aspect then get into MMA and train MMA. We'll start to see more well rounded fighters rather than one dimensional fighters.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What's 'stalling', vs trying to get control of someone so you can hurt him? For that matter, look at how Machida fights? Is that not 'stalling by avoidance'? Or is it just smart fighting?

There are two things you can do, but they're both subjective. And they both concern 'octagon control'.

If a guy has his opponent against the fence, and isn't actively trying for strikes or a takedown, seperate them. Herb Dean did a job of that tonight, but then he usually does. If a guy has top control, and isn't striking or trying for submissions, stand it up.

Of course, the Greg Jackson guys DO strike, and try for submissions on control positions. The rest of the mma world needs to be better at NOT getting put in control positions.

The other thing you can do is have the judges lessen the value of 'octagon control'. If fighter 'A' spends 4:45 in top control, but fighter 'B' get a flash knockdown, who gets the round?

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
I have said this a million times before they just need to remove octagon control from the scoring criteria. Guys won't stall if they aren't being awarded rounds for it.
This!

The rule used to make fighters wanna be more agressive,
but now it is used by wwrestlers to glue on the opponents and no nothing, getting points for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have said this a million times before they just need to remove octagon control from the scoring criteria.
This isn't a practical suggestion under '10 pint must' scoring. How do you determine who wins a round with no knockdowns or submission attempts, where the striking is roungly even?

Being able to control where a fight takes place is an essential element of mma. However, I want to ask again some questions I asked earlier in the thread, what's stalling, vs working for superior position? Is it stalling when a standup fighter refuses to engage?

Some of what I read in these threads is inane. A fighter hits a guy fifteen times in the face, but because the fight was on the ground when it happened, it's described as 'not doing anything'. When you get a guy on the ground, you do have to keep control of him as you work to better your position. Otherwise, this thing called Brazilian Jui Jitsu tends to come into play, with negative consequences for the guy on top.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
This isn't a practical suggestion under '10 pint must' scoring. How do you determine who wins a round with no knockdowns or submission attempts, where the striking is roungly even?

Being able to control where a fight takes place is an essential element of mma. However, I want to ask again some questions I asked earlier in the thread, what's stalling, vs working for superior position? Is it stalling when a standup fighter refuses to engage?

Some of what I read in these threads is inane. A fighter hits a guy fifteen times in the face, but because the fight was on the ground when it happened, it's described as 'not doing anything'. When you get a guy on the ground, you do have to keep control of him as you work to better your position. Otherwise, this thing called Brazilian Jui Jitsu tends to come into play, with negative consequences for the guy on top.
You score it a draw because no one actually won the round. You don't make up some arbitrary and vague scoring criteria that can't be consistently and intellectually applied and award people rounds that should be draws or won by the opponent.

You score grappling with activity, passes, sweeps, submission attempts, strikes, takedowns, and successful techniques. So actually doing things wins you fights.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I don't think there should be point deductions unless it just gets out of hand, but then again, how do you define that? Plus, anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of those clinch against the cage shots from a strong guy might disagree that there is no action going on, the same could be said of course for someone with some decent GnP. Ultimately, it's a fine line that just raises to many questions.

Take Carwin/Mir for example. They were seperated against the cage once, then when it happened again it took over 30 seconds for Carwin to uleash. Had they been seperated again, that wouldn't have happened, and who knows how that fight would have finished?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You score it a draw because no one actually won the round. You don't make up some arbitrary and vague scoring criteria that can't be consistently and intellectually applied and award people rounds that should be draws or won by the opponent.

You score grappling with activity, passes, sweeps, submission attempts, strikes, takedowns, and successful techniques. So actually doing things wins you fights.
I agree 100% on this.

Its not that there shouldnt be a gound game but you need to be active and attempting to win the fight, not just purely lying on your opponent.

I also agree more rounds should be scored a draw as it doesnt seem right you can win a round 10-9 by lying on your opponent but also get 10-9 for a complete domination.

·
Registered
937 Posts

I agree with this. What is the point of modifying rules, or adding or removing rules, when the rules you have are adequate for the purpose? The rules already have provisions for the referees to stand fighters up or move them off the cage into the centre.

If you want to argue the refs should stand guys up more often, you can try to make that case, but to change the rule completely would be to essentially change the 10 point must system, and that is a whole new issue.

Not to mention, if you made some kind of stalling rule, it would be impossibly subjective. If you think fans complain about inaction, just think how loud the screaming would be when some fighter was on top of someone and pounding him out and the ref decided to penalize him for 'stalling', because I garuntee this would happen.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I think that if the ref sees an inactive clinch, he should separate it. Beyond that, it is a legit stratgey IMO. If you are able to drive your opponent into the fence, and he has no answer to it, then he is going to lose. We have seen Randy Couture master this. Obviosuly, Randy is very active in the clinch, and can be more exciting to watch than others as he employs tactics like this.

I personally do no think any major rules changes should be implemented here. I was very satisified with the way Herb Dean allowed rashad to employ his strategy, but then did quickly separate when it slowed things down too much. I believe that Rashad's pressing Rampage into the fence was key to his win, and to take away that tactic would be a mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Its down to the ref to pull fighters back to there feet at the first sign of LnP imo, this is something that is allowed to go on way to much in the UFC.

While the argument remains, it takes time to work the ground game to work an opening for a submission or whatever, time is something that you dont have in a 5 min round, so way to often this time just results in the end of the round coming to rapture, so even if a fight goes dead on the ground for just a few seconds they should be pulled back up, this would force fighters to keep constant aggression while on the ground, which is how I would like to see it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.