Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get into mma but i don't know where to start. ive got a little bit of highschool experience in wrestling. i live in new lenox illinois if anyone knows of a place near me that teaches anything i would appreciate the help. thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Me to, i am in similar predicament, i live in Virginia anyone with info for this area drop a line PLEASE!

Thanks

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Look for a local martial arts school and start training. I suggest one of the following arts:
BJJ
Judo
Muay Thai
Boxing
Chute Boxing

These are a good place to start if you can't find an MMA academy. I don't know about locally.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yo man, where in Virginia are you? I'm stationed in VA. There's a few good places around here, depending on what your trying to take. In Virginia Beach there's the Academy of Martial Arts, they teach Muay Thai, BJJ and a few other things. There's another place in Virginia Beach, Eastern Academy of Martial Arts that offers BJJ, Jeet Kune Do, CSW and Muay Thai. There's a hell of alot of places in Virginia that have TKD, but that's not my thing. Let me know if you need more info. :thumbsup:

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
all these guys have good advice but i would suggest working on cardio if u cant find a gym right away. cardio is easy because u can do it at any gym or just out side

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just got started myself, I found that through my college there is a BJJ club affiliated with Renzo Gracie so I jumped all over it. I have also found many other places near where I live when school is not in session. I would just suggest doing a basic online search for either BJJ, Muay Thai, or Chute. Im partial to BJJ and I think it is a good place to start because it takes so much repitiion and drilling of techniques.

·
Banned
209 Posts
I would off this...

Find a great place to work out and build skills, then enter amature shows and make sure that someone is filming, most big shows require a tape of your fights, that part will be very important. Also if you can make friends with others in the same field, that will help as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts