Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was practically given the crown already by many people here, and I am wondering if his stock fell after a decision win over Roy Nelson.

He was supposed to be the next guy to KO Lesnar since Carwin wasnt able to do it, and now I dont think he will either after that performance, get me wrong, he has really nice boxing, just not the power like Carwin as people say.

Even once the fight got announced, I thought this fight was a lose lose situation for JDS. The only thing I really wanted to see out of this fight was his ground game and that didnt even happen.

And for those who want to compare Roy Nelson's takedowns to Brock, dont, because that is just silly.;)

I dont know what happened to my other thread, I got no warning and even tried searching for it to see if it got merged, which it shouldnt have because I dont see any other topics regarding this, seems to me like it got deleted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i really dont think it was a stock fall. I thought it was really good for him. Going the distance for the first time in the ufc, showing he has really good takedown defense it was an all around great performance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
His stock didn't drop with me because I never thought he was anything better than your average UFC HW to begin with.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Couple things:

He beat Nelson pretty Handily.

Since we're drawing comparisons from the Arlovski fight, Nelson took Arlovski down, he didn't take JDS down.

A fight like this will possibly make JDS reevaluate some of his training and expand his striking.

And since we're doing MMA math, Arlovski didn't KO Werdum but JDS did :wink03:

·
Registered
187 Posts
JDS still has crazy KO power. So does Todd Duffie. Just because they dont get KOs every single time doesnt mean that Carwin and Lesnar will walk right through there strikes.

Roy covers up well and can take a hell of a punch, thats all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hope JDS learned a lot from this fight. It seemed like he relied too much on his hands and head hunting. Roy's lower half was open all night. If he would have mixed it up more, I'm sure he would have a better chance for the K.O.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
It seemed to me that JDS trained to ONLY throw hands to avoid being taken down. He threw one kick the entire fight, and if I remember correctly it was a front kick that landed to the face of Roy and it was near the end of the round.

To me his stock didn't drop because that's how he trained for the fight, and he beat the ever living crap out of his opponent, so it worked pretty well. BUT like others, I hope he learned a lot from this situation and trains to mix it up, even against guys that will take you down and MURDER you like Carwin and Brock.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
JDS stock was never worth all that much IMO........

His TD defense looked good vs Roy but Roy doesnt have great takedowns.

JDS boxing seems to be his best weapon he has showed so far. But it isnt that good. His punching is very accurate, but he throws them with his arm and shoulder and doesnt get his full body into any punch. Also his footwork while punching is awful.

If he can change this he might be much better, but his boxing looks very much the same as the Nog brothers, little head movement, head straight up, and he doesnt have much power in his punching because he his bad footwork.

IMO whoever wins the Cain vs Lesnar fight will be able to beat JDS.

To be fair though JDS still can improve, and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about him. How is his ground game? Chin? Cardio for a 5 round fight? Can he fight through adversity? Still a lot to be answered.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I wouldn't say his stock drop, but I've been saying that he's the one to KO Brock along with Mirco. After watching that fight JDS may have a LONG night against Brock. It's obvious he's most potent in the first round and as the rounds go his punches started to fade a bit. Then again you had Carwin who completely got winded in the second round.

Only Mirko and Shane have that true ONE SHOT KO POWER to end a fight with no follow ups. At this point Brock may never get knocked out until then...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't say his stock drop, but I've been saying that he's the one to KO Brock along with Mirco. After watching that fight JDS may have a LONG night against Brock. It's obvious he's most potent in the first round and as the rounds go his punches started to fade a bit. Then again you had Carwin who completely got winded in the second round.

Only Mirko and Shane have that true ONE SHOT KO POWER to end a fight with no follow ups. At this point Brock may never get knocked out until then...
Some recent HW one-shot KOs

Nelson KO Schaub
Russon KO Duffee

neither one named mirko or shane.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Like I mentioned in another thread... What this fight did for me is showed me how one sided JDS can be. He looked really confused when he kept punching Nelson but he didn't go down. So he did it again... But that rascally Nelson still wouldn't go down... He showed little ability to think on the fly and to diversify his game plan.

Or maybe he just doesn't have the tools in the bag which then shows a big hole in his training.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
I expected JDS to destroy Nelson (was confident after round1) i either underrated Nelson or overrated JDS...furture fights will make it clearer.

side note..Nelson-Russo...make it

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
As others have said, JDS needs to develop more well rounded striking. I just don't see JDS beating Brock or Carwin. I'd love to see him fight Cain though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take it for what it's worth, because after some of my predictions, I'm not sure where I'm at.
Three recipes for beating Brock.
The first being stand up.
The second being TDD.
The third being Cardio.

That's what I got out of Brock's last fight.

In the first, I'm really not sure of Junior's stand up, but at the same time, Brock looked pretty bad turning and running after getting hit.

In the second, I haven't seen Junior's TDD enough to make a comment on this.

In the third, I think that Junior has twice the cardio that Carwin does.

What does this amount to? Not really sure yet, but I bet, unless his TDD sucks, Junior gives him a pretty good fight.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Been quite on here about that fight. Thanks for bringing it up. Yes, his stock has gone down. He stands no chance against Brock. There were ample opportunities during this fight and he should've finished Roy. Don't remember which round but there were also a few times that JDS was rocked. As soon as he throws Brock will take him down and do the classic masturbate punch him to death. I can see him teeing off on Shane a few times, JDS throws nice quick punches and Shane is on this want to be like Mike(tyson) kick by standing and trading. I don't think he can KO Shane and during the maley Shane will connect, his punches will arrive much harder than Nelsons.

"Three recipes for beating Brock.
The first being stand up.
The second being TDD.
The third being Cardio."

1. Carwin
2. Carwin
3. Carwin after working on cardio and fighting smarter

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Some recent HW one-shot KOs

Nelson KO Schaub
Russon KO Duffee

neither one named mirko or shane.
Ok...how many KOs compared to Mirko and more importantly would they do well against Brock...lolz.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
stock drop? He gave yet another perfect display of his takedown defense against a VERY good 265 pound grappler. Still doesn't say he can keep the fight standing against the top 3 HWs as there is no denying all of them have better wrestling than he does, but I do think his fight against Brock wont be an easy "Brock shoots, takes JDS down and TKOs him in round 1" -fight many are thinking.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I hope JDS learned a lot from this fight. It seemed like he relied too much on his hands and head hunting. Roy's lower half was open all night. If he would have mixed it up more, I'm sure he would have a better chance for the K.O.
Junior WAS hitting Roy's body quite a bit. I was actually watching for it because in a pre-fight interview, Ariel Helwani asked Junior if he was going to go to the body against Roy. Junior did just that and Rogan or Goldberg (maybe both?) even mentioned a few times that Roy probably doesn't even feel it cuz of the (literal) cushion the fat provides to his organs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.