1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Share Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery Draws 308,000 Viewers
by Nick Thomas on May 18, 2010 4:30 PM EDT in News 96 comments

According to mmajunkie.com:

This past weekend's "Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery" event, which featured the long-awaited return of heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem to the U.S., drew an average of 308,000 viewers on Showtime.

A two-and-a-half hour special, "UFC's Ultimate Fights," which aired on Spike TV to counter-program the Strikeforce event, drew 894,000 viewers.

Showtime is available in approximately 12 million homes. Spike TV is available in 98.6 million homes.

Compared to Strikeforce's most-recent Showtime-broadcast event, January's "Strikeforce: Miami," the numbers were down 40.43 percent from the 517,000 viewers that tuned in to see a pair of title wins by Nick Diaz and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos along with performances by Bobby Lashley and Herschel Walker.
[UPDATE] by Michael Rome: This is close to their average number for non-Gina/Herschel shows. Considering the main event and what went into this card, the numbers are more than acceptable
It sucks that the better fighters get worse raitings, but thoes numbers do not surprise me. People will watch familiar names.

I wish this card would have been on CBS. See how it would stack up in a fair-er market.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Strikeforce couldn't market a glass of water to someone dying of thirst. They need a serious lesson in how to promote a fight. Most people didn't even know the fights were on.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Yeah but isn't that Showtimes fault as well?? :confused02:

I thought they show a lot of Boxing too.. Dana must be right I guess^^

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
While it's true the UFC show nab'd 3x as many viewers, a key fact in the article is that Spike is available to 8x as many people... if you projected / scale SF's numbers to the same viewing audience, it would hash out ~ 1.2 million...

But the realistic bad news is that the ratings did slide relative to their previous shows with the same viewing audience.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Yeah but isn't that Showtimes fault as well??^^
It is.... they are depending on their sports audience to watch these events and know about them... the only time they're really mentioned is during other events.... it's ridiculous..

There will usually be a whisp of a commercial for about 9 seconds regarding the fights here and there on Showtime but other than that nothing...

Showtime should actually go in with CBS on some marketing for those cable shows...

It would get Showtime more customers, and CBS more money...

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Showtime has descent marketing. Their super six boxing marketing is every where, and is seeing some descent results. I didn't see much from this about this event. That being said there wasn't a lot to work with here. Your champ hasn't fought in the US in years, and the guy he's fighting just got knocked out and isn't really deserving of a high ranking. Arlovski is on a steady decline, and even the casual fan knows it. The other up and coming fighters are relatively unknown to the general public and none of them ranked. How could you expect big numbers from this?

·
Registered
659 Posts
SF/Showtime need to market Overeem, he seems charismatic, well spoken and is a beast in the ring. Do a reality show around him, whatever, and he can be a global star. Cannot hurt, LOL.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
SF/Showtime need to market Overeem, he seems charismatic, well spoken and is a beast in the ring. Do a reality show around him, whatever, and he can be a global star. Cannot hurt, LOL.
Overeem gives the most boring interviews ever. The only interviews I hate more is Nick Diaz.

SF can't really count on Overeem or Fedor to fully commit to them, and in the end that's why they are going to fail.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Overeem gives the most boring interviews ever. The only interviews I hate more is Nick Diaz.

SF can't really count on Overeem or Fedor to fully commit to them, and in the end that's why they are going to fail.
In all fairness to Overeem, Strikeforce hasnt done him any favors. He hasnt even gotten one quarter of the marketing they have given to Fedor and Hendo, and he is actually there champion. They didnt seem to care that he was off doing other things instead of defending his belt, he had no real incentive to stay and fight in the states. Strikeforce never gave him a deadline or an ultimatum to defend his belt. He seemed pretty content staying very active overseas, Strikeforce seemed pretty ok with it as well.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
In all fairness to Overeem, Strikeforce hasnt done him any favors. He hasnt even gotten one quarter of the marketing they have given to Fedor and Hendo, and he is actually there champion. They didnt seem to care that he was off doing other things instead of defending his belt, he had no real incentive to stay and fight in the states. Strikeforce never gave him a deadline or an ultimatum to defend his belt. He seemed pretty content staying very active overseas, Strikeforce seemed pretty ok with it as well.
Strikeforce is in a tough situation with Overeem. He has been doing a lot of kickboxing and fighting overseas. They don't want to build up a fighter that isn't going to fight for them on a regular basis. You don't want fans constantly asking where's that Overeem guy?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Strikeforce is in a tough situation with Overeem. He has been doing a lot of kickboxing and fighting overseas. They don't want to build up a fighter that isn't going to fight for them on a regular basis. You don't want fans constantly asking where's that Overeem guy?
They could have told him to either defend the belt or give it up at any time. The UFC doesnt let there fighters call the shots and it seems to work very well for them. Strikeforce should definetely take a page out of the UFC's book in that particular aspect. It works out better for the fans that way.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If Fedor beats Werdum, then the Fedor vs. Overeem fight should be a global blockbuster. SF needs to fill the card with other super fights and perhaps PPV it or put it on CBS.

Fedor ~ Overeem ~ HW Title
Moussasi ~ Henderson ~ #1 contender for LHW Title
Nick Diaz ~ Mayhem Miller - Catch Weight
Josh Thompson ~ Gilbert Melendez III ~ LW Title
Jacare ~ Robbie Lawler ~ MW Title

Have King Mo add commentary during the Moussasi Hendo match up. Have a ton of marketing before hand on Overeem and Fedor; Moussasi and Hendo, etc... Have Carano, Cung Lee, etc... make guest interview appearances in between fights. And definitely speak of the hate between Miller and Diaz. I thing it would be a huge hit if marketed correctly.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
If Fedor beats Werdum, then the Fedor vs. Overeem fight should be a global blockbuster. SF needs to fill the card with other super fights and perhaps PPV it or put it on CBS.

Fedor ~ Overeem ~ HW Title
Moussasi ~ Henderson ~ #1 contender for LHW Title
Nick Diaz ~ Mayhem Miller - Catch Weight
Josh Thompson ~ Gilbert Melendez III ~ LW Title
Jacare ~ Robbie Lawler ~ MW Title

Have King Mo add commentary during the Moussasi Hendo match up. Have a ton of marketing before hand on Overeem and Fedor; Moussasi and Hendo, etc... Have Carano, Cung Lee, etc... make guest interview appearances in between fights. And definitely speak of the hate between Miller and Diaz. I thing it would be a huge hit if marketed correctly.
I like Fedor vs Overeem. Moussasi vs Henderson, I could't care less. Overrated vs Over the hill. I don't particularly care for Diaz vs Miller either. I think it's time for Diaz to finally fight Hieron. On top of that I think this fight is just asking for some sort of trouble. Thomson vs Melendez will be a good fight, but honestly how many times can these guys fight? If every fight is like the last I guess I don't mind if they pull a Robinson-Lamotta. Jacare vs Lawler is a terrible idea. Jacare will submit him quick. I'd much rather see Jacare vs Mayhem III, plus they could build up the bad blood from the illegal kick angle. Also I don't want to hear King Mo talk about anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The matchups that i would like to see for a ppv card would have to be.
  • Fedor vs Overeem
  • Shane Del Rosario vs Brett Rogers (To give brett his 3rd loss and make him a gatekeeper)
  • Dan Henderson vs Melvin Manhoef ( Both coming off losses in strikeforce)
  • Gilbert Melendez vs Eddie Alvarez (Co-promotion superfight)
  • Roger Bowling vs Nathan Coy ( Rematch)
With the big difference in styles it would make for an interesting ppv that people would get their moneys worth on.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
The matchups that i would like to see for a ppv card would have to be.
  • Fedor vs Overeem
  • Shane Del Rosario vs Brett Rogers (To give brett his 3rd loss and make him a gatekeeper)
  • Dan Henderson vs Melvin Manhoef ( Both coming off losses in strikeforce)
  • Gilbert Melendez vs Eddie Alvarez (Co-promotion superfight)
  • Roger Bowling vs Nathan Coy ( Rematch)
With the big difference in styles it would make for an interesting ppv that people would get their moneys worth on.
No WW/MW title fights?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts