Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so impressed with the production values tonight. Good entrances, fighter stats after some fights! Great camera work, good announcing (nice and quiet), all around good.

Opinions? I think they've improved tremendously. The fighter stats blew me away too.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I am so impressed with the production values tonight. Good entrances, fighter stats after some fights! Great camera work, good announcing (nice and quiet), all around good.

Opinions? I think they've improved tremendously. The fighter stats blew me away too.
Certainly much better than Affliction had. However, I do believe Frank Shamrock is a really terrible announcer. At one point he was talking about a fighter with less reach than another fighter needing to create distance to work his jab because he was "taller".

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly much better than Affliction had. However, I do believe Frank Shamrock is a really terrible announcer. At one point he was talking about a fighter with less reach than another fighter needing to create distance to work his jab because he was "taller".
You mean the guy who said "there's a technique called the monkey roll..." two seconds before mayhem monkey rolled? ;)

He meant it's harder to reach their chin, which it is. :D

Great night tonite.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
You mean the guy who said "there's a technique called the monkey roll..." two seconds before mayhem monkey rolled? ;)

He meant it's harder to reach their chin, which it is. :D

Great night tonite.
I'm not really sure how predicting a technique someone does legitimizes you as an MMA announcer. Also, I can buy that height makes it a little more difficult to hit that taller fighter's chin, but I can't buy that whatever minor difficulty that may create, is anywhere close to the advantage that reach is, and certainly isn't an element(when you're out-reached) that you should base your stand-up on.

But alas, we're straying from the original topic. I like that there's an organization like Strikeforce that's seeming to get some popularity. I hope that they continue to get some talent(without taking too much away from the UFC). My only complaint about two different organizations is the rarity for top fighters in each to combat each other.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I actually think the production value is kinda crappy, the UFC they aren't. I hate the announcers, there is no color commentator,none of them have much personality IMO. Tito was way better at the second Affliction show then any of these guys and Tito's keys to victory were way better than Shamrocks.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually think the production value is kinda crappy, the UFC they aren't. I hate the announcers, there is no color commentator,none of them have much personality IMO. Tito was way better at the second Affliction show then any of these guys and Tito's keys to victory were way better than Shamrocks.
Word, but commentating aside, GREAT production. Loved Mayhem's entrance and the camera angles. And the ring girls ;) (no creepy stalking of the ring girls however, unlike the UFC)

The commentating is a little quiet which makes me happy, I'd rather it be something you can tune out if you want.

+rep to everyone who posts tonite in this thread :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought the beginning of the event looked amateur, but once the fights began I enjoyed it. The crowd noise was lower in the mix than with the UFC, but I didn't mind that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are the UFC's production values anything to write home about though? Same, "ba dah duh", gladiator thingy, tale of the tape every event. Rogan and Goldberg are pretty awful in their commentary too. Who's the colour commentator of the two? I can hardly tell.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I enjoyed the show for the most part.

I didn't really care for the camera work as a whole. I saw way too many all black backside of the ref shots and they needed to zoom out a touch on some of the angles to add context to some of the action. Some of the close in stuff was cool, but I think they can improve.

All in all, I'm glad I got to see a decent card, and i'm really glad I got to see Fedro fight live. He is a stud.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The commentating was unorganized and needs better production but individually, the commentators are fine. Mauro Ranallo is the best in the business and shouldn't have to share time with Gus Johnson. Frank Shamrock is ok, I guess but an awesome combo would be to go with the proven Ranallo and Rutten.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Word, but commentating aside, GREAT production. Loved Mayhem's entrance and the camera angles. And the ring girls ;) (no creepy stalking of the ring girls however, unlike the UFC)

The commentating is a little quiet which makes me happy, I'd rather it be something you can tune out if you want.

+rep to everyone who posts tonite in this thread :D
LOL @ stalking of the ring girls. After three or four closeups that could be a tutorial for OBGYN residents, it does get a little old, but consider their audience.

I don't like the commentating TBH. They are in dire need of a witty color commentator.

I volunteer.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I was impressed, very solid card from strikeforce!

Definitely not UFC quality yet, but 100% improving all the time.

I enjoyed this card immensely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Amateur production, lame announcers, Big Johns butt

Big John's big butt is always in the camera! he moves in front of every shot. I'm glad he's not in UFC fights anymore.

The announcer with the fake deep voice is annoying, and the black dude seems like its the first fight he's ever seen. Production is amateur at best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Big John's big butt is always in the camera! he moves in front of every shot. I'm glad he's not in UFC fights anymore.

The announcer with the fake deep voice is annoying, and the black dude seems like its the first fight he's ever seen. Production is amateur at best.
i agree. ranallo's fake "news anchorman" voice is ridiculous and highly annoying.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Frank has to go.

Renallo: Frank, what are the keys to the fight?

Frank: The jab! He's taller!

Really, thanks for that insightful fight breakdown Frank.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the raised walk out platforms with the cheer leaders. It just looks far to Pro Wrestling for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
LOL @ stalking of the ring girls. After three or four closeups that could be a tutorial for OBGYN residents, it does get a little old, but consider their audience.

I don't like the commentating TBH. They are in dire need of a witty color commentator.
I volunteer.
Why? its not a comedy show, its MMA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts