Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strikeforce

As previously reported, the Strikeforce promotion set the all-time North American MMA attendance record in March of this year when an event headlined by Frank Shamrock vs. Cesar Gracie drew over 17,000 paid fans in San Jose, California. That mark has not yet been approached by any other promotion in North America, including the UFC.

However, unlike the UFC, Strikeforce has not been able to maintain its momentum, as evidenced by the attendance figures for the company's most recent event. That event was held on October 7th at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, California, and it was headlined by Paul Buentello vs. Tank Abbott.

The paid attendance for the October 7th Strikeforce event was just 3,755. Combined with the 682 fans in attendance who had been given free comp tickets, the total attendance was just 4,437. The live gate receipts for the event totaled $307,820.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Makes you wonder that even though a guy has fought twice in 6 years and isn't in the heavy MMA media can still set a record MMA attendance record by fighting a big can. I guess Pride shouldve tried to use him in their Pay-Per-View to give the UFC a lil scare. I guess people still remember Frank Shamrock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was at that strikeforce in march, frank shamrock vs. cesar gracie. I thought the show was great, they had a bunch of exciting fights. I got to meet with a few fighters too so that was cool . There were alot of local fighters (san jose), if i remember right there were only a few fights without one of the fighters being from the area. It would be nice if strikeforce kept it rolling but i doubt it will, all the big name fighters are going to different organizations. one reason i think it was so big is because it was the first sanctioned mma promotion in cali, at the show the announcer came on and said the attendance for the night was like 18,000 plus!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.