Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Quebec Athletic Commission today issued the full list of medical suspensions to those fighters in action at UFC 113 on Saturday night in Montreal, with former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida and Canadian welterweight, Jonathan Goulet getting the longest.

That said the suspensions imposed were hardly lengthy, with Machida receiving a sixty day ban, while Goulet got thirty days. Jason MacDonald and Patrick Cote, who both suffered broken bones at the event, were issued with just a seven day ban.

Here’s the list in full:

Seven day suspensions were issued to:

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua
“Kimbo Slice”
Matt Mitrione
Marcus Davis
Patrick Cote
Alan Belcher
Jason MacDonald
Joe Doerksen
John Salter
Tom Lawlor

Fourteen day suspensions were issued to:

Josh Koscheck
Paul Daley
Jeremy Stephens
Johnny Hendricks
Joey Beltran
Mike “The Joker” Guymon
Sam Stout
Tim Hague
T.J. Grant
Yoshiyuki Yoshida.

Thirty day suspension issued to:

Jonathan Goulet

Sixty day suspension issued to:

Lyoto Machida

Machida had been hoping to return to the octagon in the near future following his first career defeat on Saturday night and it appears that will be a real possibility with this length suspension issued by the commission.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but is a medical suspension because they were injured and are not allowed to fight?
The way i understand it... depending on what injury the fighter got the commission wont allow him to fight for a certain amount to protect the fighters well being.

These suspensions dont even make sense to be honest. They must have some monkey writing these up. :confused:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Its the Quebec Athletic Commission, not the Nevada or Californa one, It would be nice for someone with more knowledge on the subject then me, but to my knowledge not all Athletic Commisions respect suspensions handed out by others. So they do not mean much. I could deffinatly be wrong on this, but am unsure.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Across the board in North America they pretty much recognize each others suspensions, Europe and Asia are still free game though.

Some of these are stupid though I mean how do two guys with broken bones at least one requiring surgury only get week long suspensions?

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Across the board in North America they pretty much recognize each others suspensions, Europe and Asia are still free game though.

Some of these are stupid though I mean how do two guys with broken bones at least one requiring surgury only get week long suspensions?
I dont think they count broken bones, Just facial lascerations and whatnot. Broken bones are taken as more of a obvious that you cant do anything till you have your cast removed, while they dont want able fighters to go and bang with trainers.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
what bone did Cote break in the fight?
He broke his hand and requires minor surgery. Only gonna be out 3 weeks though so nothing to serious.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
As far as I'm aware the "suspension" time on medical suspensions is basically the time they have to wait for before they're eligible to meet with a physician recognized by the athletic commission to review their candidacy to fight. However, if a fighter has a serious condition that wouldn't be cleared by an athletic commission's physician, then the length they're suspended for is irrelevant. That's my understanding at least.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
That would be inaccurate. A medical suspension is purely precautionary. Any fighter can be cleared by a physician at any time, the dates are just the times they would have to wait in order to not have to receive special clearance.

·
Banned
689 Posts
60 days for machida!? what the hell happened to him!?
he looked like he had a broken orbital bone also he got knocked out cold and that usually gives you good suspension time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.