Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking through a couple of forums and wikipedia and seen a couple of times the idea that Belfort is gonna step up to fight Nate at 116? Like i said this is wikipedia/forums so take it for what its worth, but suppose with Chael getting Silva next it makes sense for Vitor to fight someone!

·
Banned
689 Posts
i hope so WAR VITOR

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Belfort VS Nate actually makes alot of sense with Sonnen going at Silva right now.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
If thats true then it's even worse then Nate vs. Sakara.. the best choice is Okami atm!

What are we going to do if Nate wins?? Let him fight Silva again after only one win after his devastating loss to Sonnen? If Vitor wins, then of course he should get the shot. But Nate has a great chance of winning this fight and that would ruin a Vitor/Silva fight..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Nate doesn't deserve Vitor, but I suppose this is a good warm up fight for Vitor before he fights Sonnen for the belt.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Belfort vs Marquardt is definitely a fight I'd be interested to see. It's worrisome for Vitor, because if he loses it knocks him down a few spots, but I think Nate would stand and bang with him and I love watching Vitor's hands. The guy can swing leather!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nate doesn't deserve Vitor, but I suppose this is a good warm up fight for Vitor before he fights Sonnen for the belt.
:confused03: You're entitled to your opinion and all.... but... :confused03:

ain't happenin'. IMHO of course.... all due respect and all.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
:confused03: You're entitled to your opinion and all.... but... :confused03:

ain't happenin'. IMHO of course.... all due respect and all.
Why not? There is no way Nate is beating Vitor, he was a beast at LHW and even scarier at MW. Nate has nothing he can do about Vitor's ridiculous hand speed and we'll end up seeing a nasty flash KO in round 1 for sure.

Also yes, I do see Sonnen beating Silva. Sonnen having no striking is exactly why we wont see him suddenly wanting to strike with Silva. Hendo was dominating Silva until he decided to mix it up, Sonnen wont do that same mistake and will keep Silva on his back while dropping G%P on him.

Yes there is a chance that Silva might catch him standing, but we have seen how passive Silva has been in the past against guys who intend to take him down. Lutter took Silva down easily and Sonnen's takedowns and wrestling overall is miles ahead of Lutter and infact pretty much everyone in ufc right now.

If Sonnen doesn't do same mistake he did against Maia and focuses on controlling Silva instead of leaving too many openings for subs I really see him winning the fight by decision if not even by TKO.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why not? There is no way Nate is beating Vitor, he was a beast at LHW and even scarier at MW. Nate has nothing he can do about Vitor's ridiculous hand speed and we'll end up seeing a nasty flash KO in round 1 for sure.
I think Nate has about a 50/50 chance in the fight with Vitor.. just my opinion. But yes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nate lost by KO/TKO early. No arguement from me on this portion.

Also yes, I do see Sonnen beating Silva. Sonnen having no striking is exactly why we wont see him suddenly wanting to strike with Silva. Hendo was dominating Silva until he decided to mix it up, Sonnen wont do that same mistake and will keep Silva on his back while dropping G%P on him.

Yes there is a chance that Silva might catch him standing, but we have seen how passive Silva has been in the past against guys who intend to take him down. Lutter took Silva down easily and Sonnen's takedowns and wrestling overall is miles ahead of Lutter and infact pretty much everyone in ufc right now.

If Sonnen doesn't do same mistake he did against Maia and focuses on controlling Silva instead of leaving too many openings for subs I really see him winning the fight by decision if not even by TKO.
From my perspective, the only real fights Silva has been in while in the UFC were the two you mention, Hendo and Lutter. I didn't see the first round of the Hendo/Silva fight as Hendo "dominating" Silva, although I do agree that he won the round. He then tried to take Silva down again and got reversed, then choked out, which I must say, shocked me at the time.
When Lutter fought Silva he did have some successful takedowns, but I don't recall Silva suffering any damage while on his back...and then the triangle/strike fromt he bottom ended it. Am I forgetting something about that fight?

I just think that Silva has learned that he doesn't want to be on the mat with top level BJJ guys, which Sonnen isn't. I don't think he's afraid of being on the mat with a wrestler.

I have been impressed with Sonnen of late and am glad to see him get a title shot since I thought he should have come into the UFC as the defending WEC champion and thought he got shafted with that situation. He's a gamer and he'll come to fight for sure...but I think Silva will manage to deflect most of his takedown attempts, and I think standing with Silva is not going to win any rounds for Sonnen.

I think Vitor was the fight Silva was looking forward to... someone who was willing to stand and strike with him. Sonnen isn't going to do that and will seek to impose his will upon Silva and take the fight to the mat. I think Silva's probably too quick and elusive for Chael to be successful with that game plan.

In all honesty, I just hope Silva takes this as enough of a challenge that he comes intot he cage looking to aggressively end the fight. If that happens I think we'll see an exceptional fight, regardless of who wins...and would set up some future rematches if it's a good one.

Silva needs an exciting fight now. I hope Sonnen can bring it and that Silva will get up for it. Silva's passivity against grapplers, as you brought up in your post, is a problem. He's not been willing to expose himself to the grappler and the grappler isn't dumb enough to just wade in and get his block knocked off. ...so we wind up with a stalemate that is unsatisfying for everyone involved.

Silva needs to get back to being exciting again!!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts