·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
downblock, sprawl.

·
Banned
209 Posts
primateboy said:
Anybody have some good takedown defense exercises?

thanks

Sprawling is a great take down defense drill.....if someone is shooting in that is. From the clinch there are many varibles that you need to look at...they can be drilled with others or alone (gone over and over again in your mind)....things such as where your hips are, who has the under hook, pumpling drill, where you center line is compared to his/hers, balance.....all these things come in to play while grappling in the clinch. I hope this helps, if not please be a little more specific as what aspect of the take down you are wanting to defend (clinch or shooting) and we will all do our best to help you out :)

brvheart

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Sprawls, no question.

It's also a good conditioning drill, as well as being combat effective.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IronMan said:
Sprawls, no question.

It's also a good conditioning drill, as well as being combat effective.

well put.

i have also found that in sparring that when your opponent shoots for your legs, just knee them in the head or drop a downward elbow on the back of the head and or neck. not to mention if you can get a solid guitine choke that works great but only when they shoot for the legs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
is it against the rules to knee someone shoting for ur legs in ufc? what i would think to do in a street fight if they shoot for my legs just wondering why ufc fighters dont.

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
yellow man said:
is it against the rules to knee someone shoting for ur legs in ufc? what i would think to do in a street fight if they shoot for my legs just wondering why ufc fighters dont.
but then you would probably end up on your back anyway.:thumbsdown:

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
No, it's not illegal in any good MMA organization. Guys like Joachim Hansen base their entire fights on kneeing shottfighters in the head. Takanori Gomi did it to Ralph Gracie.

I'm almost positive it's legal in the UFC, but the real issue with it is that if you miss or don't connect well then your gonna end up on your back about twice as hard as you would have otherwise.

·
Registered
509 Posts
what is this "sprawl" exercise??

I've seen people sprawl in fights so I assume you just try to get someone to take you down?

·
Banned
209 Posts
you practice sprawling...

basically when someone shoots in on you for a double etc, you sprawl....you can practice this by yourself or with a partner. It kinda looks like a up and down in football if you know what is...

your legs go backwords, and you weight falls on your oppents chest, deterring the take down and keeping you in a good position. It is a wrestling move that you will used and practiced by a lot of high school wrestling teams as well as coligiate teams.

Another thing to add is after the sprawl be sure to either spin to the oppents back (spin drills are awsome for making this like second nature ;)) or be sure to use the pummel to get a secure grip and take contol of the opponent.

·
Banned
209 Posts
you practice sprawling...

basically when someone shoots in on you for a double etc, you sprawl....you can practice this by yourself or with a partner. It kinda looks like a up and down in football if you know what is...

your legs go backwords, and you weight falls on your oppents chest, deterring the take down and keeping you in a good position. It is a wrestling move that you will used and practiced by a lot of high school wrestling teams as well as coligiate teams.

Another thing to add is after the sprawl be sure to either spin to the oppents back (spin drills are awsome for making this like second nature ;)) or be sure to use the pummel to get a secure grip and take contol of the opponent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IronMan said:
No, it's not illegal in any good MMA organization. Guys like Joachim Hansen base their entire fights on kneeing shottfighters in the head. Takanori Gomi did it to Ralph Gracie.

I'm almost positive it's legal in the UFC, but the real issue with it is that if you miss or don't connect well then your gonna end up on your back about twice as hard as you would have otherwise.
it IS totally legal to knee ppl in face when they shoot for the legs. just look at the Kimo/Ken Shamrock fight where Ken ended it in the 1st 20 seconds right as Kimo went for the takedown.

here are the basic things not permitted in UFC as posted on UFC® : Ultimate Fighting Championship®

Fouls:
1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

·
Registered
509 Posts
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

Is this the verbal definition for Randleman's slam on Fedor?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I don't see an opponent looking for a takedown as "grounded" but that's just me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The rule "grounded" is one or both knees on the floor, or if the guy is on his back...etc. Now if he shoots in without being on one knee, then yes its fine to knee them in the face. My best defence is to leap as they begin to shoot. Thet eat a knee to the top of their forehead or chin...But im 6'4" and am light on my feet. You also have to keep in mind that if they move and sometimes even if they dont, you still will be taken down (unless they KO) But any shooter will be groggy by the knee after they take you down, then you can try a escape or try for a submission.

Otherwise "sprawling" is the next best thing for me. Really depends on the situation at the time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
doublelegtakedown said:
but then you would probably end up on your back anyway.:thumbsdown:
if u change ur center of gravity its harder to get taken down...

but u have to bring the knee back even faster than u put it up...but a fast knee works like a charm...timming is very important...its a short knee and the force is forward in a straight line rather than up...

·
Registered
612 Posts
not to mention you DONT need a partner to practice your sprawls, just sprawl hit the floor and get back up as fast as you can, then sprawl again.

It really is a great workout, if you have a partner available thats great, if not, you can go on without them.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Steve-d said:
not to mention you DONT need a partner to practice your sprawls, just sprawl hit the floor and get back up as fast as you can, then sprawl again.

It really is a great workout, if you have a partner available thats great, if not, you can go on without them.
For sure. A lot of guys just use it as a cardio conditioning drill.

Also, Chuck trains with the Cal Poly wrestling team, so he has a lot of practice with takedowns beyond just sprawls and the standard stuff. Folkstyle and Roman-Greco wrestling training will really help you to work takedown defense and counters. Judo is good for that too.

But for a simple excersise, still definitely sprawls.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts