Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The UFC's Unstoppable press conference risked being submitted by a Tate and Diaz media choke, but it survived.

I have wrote a piece on the conference, more importantly two moments that resonated with me. Wonder what everyone else thought to the media event?

One could be forgiven for not sitting up and taking notice of the UFC's Unstoppable press conference, a media event largely overshadowed by the weekend's seismic shift of the MMA landscape, UFC 196. But despite the incredible fights that the UFC had to offer, there were two moments that resonated.

The reception Jon Jones received over arch rival Daniel Cormier was totally misguided, but more importantly the media bluster, for me, shone light on the insincerity of Jones' reform. From the moment DC was on the mic he was harangued. Cormier is a model champion and as his sarcasm quite rightly pointed out, "that really does make a lot of sense" in response to the hostile crowd that were jeering him. Jones on the other hand has continued to make mistakes, and when challenged by Cormier over the remarks he made just an hour before the press conference, he hid behind the excuse of not being able to hear DC's questioning, a likely story. I don't like to condemn people, I believe in reform, however Jones' preferential treatment in that scenario has simply not been earned. The reaction from the crowd shouldn't have surprised me though, after all it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, and in this shifting UFC climate it's characters and chapters, not credentials or credibility, that bring the all important numbers.

Elsewhere in the conference Cormier found himself involved in yet another war of words.

In the midst of their epic trash talk, former middleweight champion Chris Weidmann fired a shot at his title successor Luke Rockhold, "keep sticking to DC's little notepad that he gave you." I couldn't help but smile when Chris made this comment, because I can't help but believe it to be true of the AKA team mates. There were times when Rockhold looked uneasy up there, as the verbal punches were landing I sensed a metaphorical arm placed around Luke's shoulder, protecting his feelings, thwarting future attacks. Interestingly though, this paternal grip that Cormier seems to have over Luke potentially opened up a whole new avenue for the UFC to explore. As Weidmann professed, "and if you haven't forgotten, this is New York right here...Jon Jones, Chris Weidmann, we're taking over." His comments met by an immediate response from DC, "challenge, tag team match?"

So with the recent news of Wanderlei Silva competing in a grappling style tag team match for Rizin FF, opposite fellow MMA legend Kasushi Sakuraba, could DC's quickfire response offer the first logical inroad to a UFC shake up? Or is the western MMA market not quite ready for this kind of, dare I say, novelty event?
https://www.the-newshub.com/combat/jon-jones-daniel-cormier-and-the-unnoticeable-unstoppable-press-conference

·
Super Moderator
8,101 Posts
The UFC's Unstoppable press conference risked being submitted by a Tate and Diaz media choke, but it survived.

I have wrote a piece on the conference, more importantly two moments that resonated with me. Wonder what everyone else thought to the media event?

https://www.the-newshub.com/combat/jon-jones-daniel-cormier-and-the-unnoticeable-unstoppable-press-conference
I appreciate you probably get paid for clicks/views but forum rules states you must post the article you are linking to. So I've included it for you.

By all means feel free to post any of your articles here, but you must quote the article in the post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts