Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get a lot of hate here but I am just typing from what I see.

Shogun was listed as the #1 LHW while he was in pride, many people know this, but ever since he has come to the UFC, he has battled injuries, mainly knee surgery.

Ever since he has entered into the UFC, he has had medical problems, the most he has gone without getting a injury is 2 fights. That is 3-4 years of constantly battling back from knee surgery's.

I really thought we would see the Pride Shogun after his Machida fights, but yet again... he has another 8-12 month delay. I am not trying to knock him, I do not dislike him, infact I am a fan.

It is just so hard mentally to keep coming back from the same problems. He didnt look 100% when he fought Coleman or Chuck Liddell, So it took him roughly 2 years to get back to 100%.

I hope he comes back and we see the same Shogun that we saw when he KTFO machida, But for some reason, I have a really hard time believing that is the one we will see.

It is said that he got a knee injury during the fight, but the fight was hardly long, and he got taken down 2 times but got right back up. If it was truly from that fight, Whats to say that he wont have another knee problem 1-2 fights later in a harder battle.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
It's not an unreasonable speculation. ACL tears generally completely end football, soccer, tennis and basketball careers, any sport requiring lateral movement or extreme, high impact at the knees. Lateral movement is seriously impeded, sometimes completely impeded and the probability to re-tearing if you force it is very, very high (which is extremely likely in a high adrenaline situation, such as fighting). However, historically, collegiate wrestlers seem to fair okay with ACL tears, where the most important movements are front to back. Collegiate wrestlers have a good, competitive return rate from ACL tears, but Rua isn't much of a wrestler.

It's a hard one to call. Rua has already beat the odds having had two tears, but the fact he had to have surgery from a less then 1 round fight, raises legitimate questions as to his longevity as king of his division.

I didn't really think about it much until you brought it up and in seriously contemplating the situation, your thread statement is better poised as a question and I think it's a legitimately open ended one.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I thought Shogun got the knee injury before the fight and not after? I'm sure there was a thread on it. Dunno man, Shogun seems like he has to settle in slowly but surely after layoffs and rehabilitations. We will have to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
It's not an unreasonable speculation. ACL tears generally completely end football, soccer, tennis and basketball careers, anything sport requiring lateral movement or extreme, high impact at the knees. Lateral movement is seriously impeded, sometimes completely impeded and the probability to re-tearing if you force it is very, very high (which is extremely likely in a high adrenaline situation, such as fighting). However, historically, collegiate wrestlers seem to fair okay with ACL tears, where the most important movements are front to back. Collegiate wrestlers have a good, competitive return rate from ACL tears, but Rua isn't much of a wrestler.

It's a hard one to call. Rua has already beat the odds having had two tears, but the fact he had to have surgery from a less then 1 round fight, raises legitimate questions as to his longevity as king of his division.

I didn't really think about it much until you brought it up and in seriously contemplating the situation, your thread statement is better poised as a question and I think it's a legitimately open ended one.
ACL's aren't the death setence that they were 15 or even 10 years ago. You're looking at about 18 months in order to get back to 100%. However, when guys start having multiple tears they definitely add up especially mentally.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Does anybody have a link saying hes out for 8-12 months? Ive seen that he got knee surgery but nowhere could i find what the specific injury was or how long he will definitely be out for.
That's a good question. If it was just a 'scope. He could be back in training in 2-3 months and 100% in about 3-4.

Just an FYI these recovery times are for football players, not sure if it at all different for fighters.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I might get a lot of hate here but I am just typing from what I see.

Shogun was listed as the #1 LHW while he was in pride, many people know this, but ever since he has come to the UFC, he has battled injuries, mainly knee surgery.

Ever since he has entered into the UFC, he has had medical problems, the most he has gone without getting a injury is 2 fights. That is 3-4 years of constantly battling back from knee surgery's.

I really thought we would see the Pride Shogun after his Machida fights, but yet again... he has another 8-12 month delay. I am not trying to knock him, I do not dislike him, infact I am a fan.

It is just so hard mentally to keep coming back from the same problems. He didnt look 100% when he fought Coleman or Chuck Liddell, So it took him roughly 2 years to get back to 100%.

I hope he comes back and we see the same Shogun that we saw when he KTFO machida, But for some reason, I have a really hard time believing that is the one we will see.

It is said that he got a knee injury during the fight, but the fight was hardly long, and he got taken down 2 times but got right back up. If it was truly from that fight, Whats to say that he wont have another knee problem 1-2 fights later in a harder battle.

Painful for Machida fans....but as Volcum points...its probably got some merit....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
After hearing about Shogun's injury, I know Rashad is going to beat him. Shogun already had no takedown defense, nevermind another knee injury. I hate Rashad's fighting style and would love to see Shogun KTFO him but I don't see it happening. On the bright side, I expect to see Rashad vs Lyoto II for the title in the future which would be an easy win for Lyoto:praise01:.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
How many fighters can say they won the Pride and UFC Belts. All that by his mid 20's. He's been in soo many wars and the way he fights; blitzkrieg style wears on his body.

Lets all hope he recovers 100%.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
meh, he might not have looked 100% against Coleman or Forrest, but he went for broke in both fights because he had so much confidence in his abilities. His fighting abilities were not so much affected, it was more just his cardio from his ability to train.

He beat the **** out of coleman for 3 rounds, which also shows how tough Coleman is, and Forrest was just the much better prepared, and better fighter on that night.

As far as UFC 97, He killed Chuck. He was confident enough to drop for a leglock AGAINST CHUCK LIDDELL, he took him down, and then knocked him out as soon as Chuck made the choice to stand. That was a pretty good performance for sure.

I think Shogun will be fine. Rashad will likely beat him, but I don't think it is because of his knee, I think it is because it might be Rashad's time.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
His era is over- and he's the champ after dominating the man whom he arguably had beaten in their previous fight who was widely considered to becoming the best LHW of this era.

Makes a lot of sense.:confused03:

"Widely considered to becoming the best LHW of this era"

Why cause he matches up perfectly against Machida? 1-1 or 2-0 against a new champion hardly qualifies as the best of THIS era. He needs to fight someone else, defend the belt before you can say that.

Maybe he takes a year again to recover, and comes back and is still capable of winning. Perhaps he can learn to sprawl once he's past rehab.

Even in this era a top wrestler with GnP and a talented faster striker exists now in Anderson Silva could probably take him out.

I think you mean of the previous era ---Shogun was the star. Prime Chuck was right there with him though, they just never fought. Shogun was a great fighter, won the grand prix. In Pride, prime Rampage beat prime Chuck. Prime Sorbal beat prime Shogun. Chuck beat Sorbal twice. Shogun beat Rampage twice He had wins over prime Lil Nog and Vitor. Chuck had wins over prime Tito and Couture for belts in two UFC weight classes.

Chuck was a better counter striker, and didn't lose to wrestlers and had good take down defense and the biggest right hand in the game, but lost to stronger opponents that had granite chins and outbox/wrestle him (Rampage 2X). Shogun had superior Muai Thai and destroyed people moving forward and attacking with force in numbers, but lost to GnP wrestlers (prime Coleman 2X).

Pride VS UFC had their two stars with relatively equally accomplished careers.

When 39 y.o. Chuck fought prime Shogun, he got KNFO, but that's not THIS era, in this era in which Shogun has proved himself definitively in two fights, hell he almost lost for a 3rd time to Coleman and got choked out Griffin.

·
Registered
742 Posts
A couple things here, can someone show me a legitimate article that says he re-tore his ACL, I'm not saying he didn't just that I havent been able to find anything that states exactly what his injury is besides the fact that he had knee surgery. Knee surgery can mean alot of things, small minor procedures like draining fluid or cleaning out cartilidge to an ACL/MCL tear or a torn miniscus. Secondly, he didn't look good against Chuck? What fight were you watching, he dominated Chuck a guy that might not be in his prime anymore but everybody thought and said that Shogun was tailor made to get picked apart by Chuck, when Chuck was the one that got picked apart by Shogun. All of Chuck's punches either did 0 damage or were blocked by Shogun's high muay thai guard, he took him down easily and easily KO'd him in the very first round.

The reason I'm saying this is because all the articles I've read have stated that they are "speculative" and don't know 100% what exactly his injury is.

·
Registered
585 Posts
meh, he might not have looked 100% against Coleman or Forrest, but he went for broke in both fights because he had so much confidence in his abilities. His fighting abilities were not so much affected, it was more just his cardio from his ability to train.

He beat the **** out of coleman for 3 rounds, which also shows how tough Coleman is, and Forrest was just the much better prepared, and better fighter on that night.

As far as UFC 97, He killed Chuck. He was confident enough to drop for a leglock AGAINST CHUCK LIDDELL, he took him down, and then knocked him out as soon as Chuck made the choice to stand. That was a pretty good performance for sure.

I think Shogun will be fine. Rashad will likely beat him, but I don't think it is because of his knee, I think it is because it might be Rashad's time.
Rashads time? He already had his time and lost

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
This is getting ridiculous. I have barely read a single article that's legitimate about Shogun's surgery. I saw he iced his knee a little after the second Machida fight and had a minor surgery, but now people are thinking he's done for good?!

This is 100% of the info we currently know:

“He just got out of the hospital; it was a successful surgery,” White said. “He had the surgery in [Los Angeles], and he’s going to be doing all his therapy in (Las) Vegas.

“So he’ll be in Vegas for the next five weeks.”
So Shogun is doing therapy for less than 2 months (and this was released a week or two ago) and he's done for good? Give me a break. Shogun will be fine and defending his belt successfully against Rashad, the distant #2 contender.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.