Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been breaking peoples noses with the crown of my head since I was in middleschool.

What do people think about it in MMA competition and just in streetfighting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Re: head butt

I tend to think it ought to be legal. Rules in MMA should be there primarily to prevent serious permenant damage to the fighters. For example elbow strikes to the throte while on the ground. I heard this could crush a wind pipe. Elbow strikes to the top of the head are no longer legal. I suspect this could cause spinal damage. IDK. I think hair grabbing should be legal too, like old school UFC. Then everybody will shave their head
Hopefuly sombody who know what they're talking about will chime in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
let's keep head butting illegal. Just for my sake. My luck I would be on the ground with some melon head like tito :) and would just cave my face in. nah, doesn't sound very fun in my book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
gduff2 said:
I tend to think it ought to be legal. Rules in MMA should be there primarily to prevent serious permenant damage to the fighters. For example elbow strikes to the throte while on the ground. I heard this could crush a wind pipe. Elbow strikes to the top of the head are no longer legal. I suspect this could cause spinal damage. IDK. I think hair grabbing should be legal too, like old school UFC. Then everybody will shave their head
Hopefuly sombody who know what they're talking about will chime in
Lol it would crush the windpipe and the permanent damage there would be death. It prevents alot of realism. Whereas in a fight on a street anything goes but there are restrictions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I am very surprised that no one had their throat crushed on ufc by now as many elbows in throats that Ive seen. the elbows in temples could also pop eyes out so maybe thats why theyre banned too. headbutts are effective and I enjoy watching them and I hate watching a grapple fight drag on when there are so many headbutt openings that arent taken. I do not think they should be banned when knees are allowed since they can do similar damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
I think head butts ar out because it can cause braindamage over time to both people plus there is the reisk of possible spinal injury though long term brain damage is a real issue. being an EMT it would cause damage similar to a low speed car crash which is capable of causing bruising to the brain and swelling and over time permenant injury. broken noses are a minor thing in comparison and yea I know it gives you a quick advantage
 

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
no head butting is way to dangerous for ufc.................But street fighting anything goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
yea I am looking at it from an EMT stand point. In a car crash when your head hits the windshield that impact one, Impact 2 is the brain hitting the front of the skull, impact 3 in the brain hitting the back of the skull. this is not even counting damage to the neck and spine whihc as stated is minimal in a head butt but the breain impact is still there this is the leading cause of brain damage in boxers hence Rocky, it was not him being hit it was his brain bouncing around inside his skull
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I respect the medical pro standpoint, but from a fighters standpoint: If my hands and feet are wrapped in my opponent's guard, I have one weapon left. The head can be trained just like a hand and foot, if used by an amateur they can hurt themselves badly, but if you know what you're doing then you can use it properly.

Proper headbutt form: Use the crown of the head to strike the face of your opponent. That way you won't damage the soft spots on your face or the base of your spine.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 5'7" and I have a Napolean complex. More often then not I'm the little guy. But you know how the saying goes:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
IronMan said:
I've been breaking peoples noses with the crown of my head since I was in middleschool.

What do people think about it in MMA competition and just in streetfighting?
Damn IronMan, it's amazing how high your post count is with all the time you must spend in jail. :D
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sub By Armbar said:
Damn IronMan, it's amazing how high your post count is with all the time you must spend in jail. :D
I'm a minor, so I don't get that much time. Plus I'm a really nice guy...............Really!
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top