Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Outta My Head
1,259 Posts
Other tips on throwing a Head Butt:

Do not ballistically snap your head into the opponent using your neck. You'll injure yourself that way. It is much more effective to tuck you chin, lower your base and use your legs to propel yourself into the opponent, much like you would with an uppercut.

Strike with the crown of your head (as Ironman noted). This way if you get cut (and if you're throwing HB out as viciously as you can, you will get cut), it bleeds into your scalp and not into your eyes.

Aim for the chin, cheek, nose or temple. Anywhere else and you're just clashing skull to skull. You want your head to make contact with a softer, more "receptive" part of their body.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
persononly I do not think it should be allowed to much is at risk for both fighters brain damage wise in a sport where a carrear can be periously short. I like to see good fights not someone get seriously hurt. i like competition and skill. that is part of the reason I did not like Tank Abbot sure he was a colorful character. but he was a brawler who only know how to hurt people hence he did not last long in MMA from what I could tell. A few lucky shots and he'd hurt some people win some fights but against a seasoned fighter he would be toast. EARLY UFC was lacking alot of seasoned fighters the ones who did most of the winning were your only examples. I'd like to be able to follow a fighter over a carear not just a couple fights and forget who he was cause he now drools all over himself like my 3 month old.

· Registered
157 Posts
The Don said:
persononly I do not think it should be allowed to much is at risk for both fighters brain damage wise in a sport where a carrear can be periously short. I like to see good fights not someone get seriously hurt. i like competition and skill. that is part of the reason I did not like Tank Abbot sure he was a colorful character. but he was a brawler who only know how to hurt people hence he did not last long in MMA from what I could tell. A few lucky shots and he'd hurt some people win some fights but against a seasoned fighter he would be toast. EARLY UFC was lacking alot of seasoned fighters the ones who did most of the winning were your only examples. I'd like to be able to follow a fighter over a carear not just a couple fights and forget who he was cause he now drools all over himself like my 3 month old.
:thumbsup:

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with The Don too. The sport needs to grow and allowing things that are very "street-fightish" (new word) like headbutts would just further the negitive sterotype the sport has. Now if you train and you want to learn how to throw a headbutt it is very effective for self-defense.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
RileyG said:
I'm inclined to agree with The Don too. The sport needs to grow and allowing things that are very "street-fightish" (new word) like headbutts would just further the negitive sterotype the sport has. Now if you train and you want to learn how to throw a headbutt it is very effective for self-defense.
That it can be espically if you our out numbered and get grabbed a head but can take an opponent out for several minutes espically if they have never had thier nose broken it can be a very humbling experience to someone and a major deterrant to thie friends if they see one of thier buddies get his nose splattered and the blood which looks like alot but is actually not very serious since its mainly just cappalary bleeding. it looks a mess but works in most cases

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
RileyG said:
Isn't the point of MMA to simulate a street fight in a controlled situation. That's the way I understand it anyway.

I understand the bit about keeping both fighters safe and all, but I guess I prioritize a little bit differently.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
IronMan said:
Isn't the point of MMA to simulate a street fight in a controlled situation. That's the way I understand it anyway.

I understand the bit about keeping both fighters safe and all, but I guess I prioritize a little bit differently.
Yes and no. You have to remmber above all else its a compitetion. No one does this in hopes of ending up with severe brain damage but not alot of people understand how different injuries effect the body over a long term period. Sadly boxing has not taking this into consideration but most boxers nowadays are well aware of the risks from getting to many blows to the head over a long period of time since MMA has so much more dynamics to its compititions there are not as many blows aimed directly at the head over hte course of a fight due to shorter fight lengths and so many other options open to a fighter this is as not as serious as a concern but head butts would just add to this and introduce extra risk that is not really needed, where as in a street fight it is a good strike, in MMA it is not really needed.

· Outta My Head
1,259 Posts
I think the fence/cage is about the only thing that is left for the UFC to recreate an environment of "real fighting." Unless you're fighting in an open field without any physical obstacles, getting crowded into/crowding your opponent into something is a viable tactic in fighting. In a real fight, if you have your back against a wall, table, desk, car (etc), you're at a distinct disadvantage. Everyone who ends up in the UFC knows that it's there, so why not train for it?

· Banned
1,229 Posts
A headbutt would be cool to be in the UFC, it would make it a bloody and deadly sport and make a lot of fighters improve their ground game if they suck at punching on the ground.

But also, this would make politicians want to ban UFC because it would become more deadly and gory, and no other sport like PRIDE and King of the Cage headbutt others.

But I think it would be cool and make fights end a lot shorter. I also think they should let fighters in the UFC knee people in the head like PRIDE allows.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
ok the fence is not bad. keeps a fighter from falling out.. maybe make it padded some how so it don't cut the fighter and create a stoppage for that. but the head but is a cheap move that requiers almost no skill. heck my 3 month old can bruise you with his head butts.. It is simply not needed. all it would do is shorten fighters carears give the sport a bad name an you'll end up with a bunch of half brain dead retired fighters. You think guys like ALi improove the image of boxing when you see them now? Nope why do you think they almost never go to a man like that besides being half brain dead . oh wait thats why... And no I am not insulting his carear as a boxer he was truly one of the best.. we need MMA fighters with his style that will bring in better ratings

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.