Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if this can become a reality, at least for sparring.

The idea is simple, each fighter is placed in a suit which is laced with sensors. (Acelaromitors, Spedometers, Thermometers and Pedometers mostly). And after each round a blood sample is taken.

Additionally the pressure sensors around the octigon that monitor weight distribution.

Here are the applications:

Immagine how the sport would be revolutionized if cornermen have real time data in the following areas.

-Striking speed
-Striking PSI
-Weight distribution of a stance
-Weight distribution in grappling
-Accurate Joint angles for submissions and striking

As well as bodily function monitors from sensors --

-Heart Rate
-Breathing Rate
-Temperature

And from blood tests

-Testorsterone levels
-Testosterone increase
-Dopamine Levels
-Adrenaline Levels
-Blood Glucose levels
-Platelet count for blodd clotting

And to have that information live and on hand during a fight or during training. The sport will be changed from an art to a science.

I think even an exhibition with one bout at each weight class would be awesome. The data gathered would be invalueble.

Cornermen can give more specific directions, small changes can be made such as controlled breathing that could greatly increase the quality of the fighter.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
Too expensive IMO, someone would have to develop it and that would be a heavy investment.

Then it becomes a bit hard to implement, imagine fighting with all those sensors.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
This is something they would use in like Sports Science, not applicable to real fighting. Way too expensive if I had to guess too. It would be cool to see if someone was doing a study on fighters, but I don't want to see that in real fights. Not to mention if your wearing a full body suit, you better not get taken down because that's way too much friction to pull out of a sub.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Future

That is something that might happen during our lifetime but probably not with this latest generation of fighters!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I would hate to see anything like that used in MMA or any fighting sport, it would just take something away from the essence of watching the fight.

One thing I would be in favour of is for video evidence to be used to aid judges with making a decision, I think a judge chould be allowed to call for a time extension in order to give his verdict when required, then the judge should be given up to one hour to go and study the video of the fight before giving his final score.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that idea is just plain stupid.. it would be cool for like a tv show on like discovery but not for actual fighting

·
Defecato, ergo sum
1,151 Posts
It would be yet that many more ways to try and come up with magical numbers on which to base performance.

It's fighting. It's not about numbers. It's about beating the other guy up.

Relying on numbers is what gives us boring fights, where a fighter knows that he has "won a round", so he waits out a few minutes, or knows that he has won two rounds, so waits out the third....

Stop trying to make it about numbers. Make it about defeating the other guy.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Numbers

Yeah that's why people like the Japanese scoring system better, yellow cards and judging the whole match!

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is something they would use in like Sports Science, not applicable to real fighting. Way too expensive if I had to guess too. It would be cool to see if someone was doing a study on fighters, but I don't want to see that in real fights. Not to mention if your wearing a full body suit, you better not get taken down because that's way too much friction to pull out of a sub.
Maybe they could try it out with a ***** match as they wear suits/gi and strike etc anyway, just to get a look at what goes on with maybe Mr. Emelianenko testing it,lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts