Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as a very big Anderson Silva fan, even I have to draw the line here. Basically, this was just an example of Anderson showing us that he doesn't care. He simply doesn't care. He gave a show, a damn good show, for 2 and a half rounds. He could have put Maia away anytime he wanted to. But he chose not to work the rest of the fight. **** that shit about him being tired. He wasn't tired, he didn't care. That pisses me off. That's bullshit, man. You can blatently tell the guy wasn't gassed. Anderson didn't care. I mean, admittingly, it's kind of funny that it pisses me off Dana, but it's not funny that I spent money to watch my favorite fighter, watch 2 rounds of brilliance, and have someone just say "you know what, screw it. It don't have to work for these people. I'm so good, I can just hang back and do nothing and win the rest of this fight." And that's what he did, 3 rounds of greatness, and the rest..meh.

What a shit 2 weeks of MMA. We have a p4p contender that's too afraid, a p4p contender that gets outgassed by a really good fighter, and a p4p contender that just doesn't give a shit, and a p4p contender whose management doesn't want him to fight the best.

I think a GSP/Anderson fight is exactly what both fighters need. Because GSP will have no choice but to give his 100% to Silva, and the same goes for Anderson. At catchweight, of course.

I mean who is to blame for this? Is it the media? Us? For putting a lot of pressure of the greatest fighters...EVER maybe? By the way I'm strictly talking about GSP and Anderson Silva here, not BJ Penn. Penn came to fight, he just didn't have the gas to fight Frankie. Everyone and their mother knew Anderson could have finished that fight. And everyone knew if GSP's head was right, he could have finished Hardy. I mean when I calm down and start to think about it, it is a tremendous amount of pressure. But there is a reason we put the pressure on these guys, because they exceed far more then any other mixed martial artist in the freaking world.

It's just ridiculous. So I suppose the GSP/Anderson fight is happening? I still think it's bullshit for it to be at 170, but whatever. After tonight, I really could care less if or when Anderson loses. I'm still a fan of the guy, as I am still a fan of GSP. But both guys have lost respect from me.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
You f*cking jinxed Bj alex, I have pure hatred for you, wasted my first round pick on him and he loses his first fight........I blame you......

I didn't even read the post sorry, I'm sure it's about Silva though.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I thought that myself too. I become a BJ Penn fan and he loses. But I don't care if he lost though, atleast BJ chose to fight, and I still have mad respect for him.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, as a very big Anderson Silva fan, even I have to draw the line here. Basically, this was just an example of Anderson showing us that he doesn't care. He simply doesn't care. He gave a show, a damn good show, for 2 and a half rounds. He could have put Maia away anytime he wanted to. But he chose not to work the rest of the fight. **** that shit about him being tired. He wasn't tired, he didn't care. That pisses me off. That's bullshit, man. You can blatently tell the guy wasn't gassed. Anderson didn't care. I mean, admittingly, it's kind of funny that it pisses me off Dana, but it's not funny that I spent money to watch my favorite fighter, watch 2 rounds of brilliance, and have someone just say "you know what, screw it. It don't have to work for these people. I'm so good, I can just hang back and do nothing and win the rest of this fight." And that's what he did, 3 rounds of greatness, and the rest..meh.

What a shit 2 weeks of MMA. We have a p4p contender that's too afraid, a p4p contender that gets outgassed by a really good fighter, and a p4p contender that just doesn't give a shit, and a p4p contender whose management doesn't want him to fight the best.

I think a GSP/Anderson fight is exactly what both fighters need. Because GSP will have no choice but to give his 100% to Silva, and the same goes for Anderson. At catchweight, of course.

I mean who is to blame for this? Is it the media? Us? For putting a lot of pressure of the greatest fighters...EVER maybe? By the way I'm strictly talking about GSP and Anderson Silva here, not BJ Penn. Penn came to fight, he just didn't have the gas to fight Frankie. Everyone and their mother knew Anderson could have finished that fight. And everyone knew if GSP's head was right, he could have finished Hardy. I mean when I calm down and start to think about it, it is a tremendous amount of pressure. But there is a reason we put the pressure on these guys, because they exceed far more then any other mixed martial artist in the freaking world.

It's just ridiculous. So I suppose the GSP/Anderson fight is happening? I still think it's bullshit for it to be at 170, but whatever. After tonight, I really could care less if or when Anderson loses. I'm still a fan of the guy, as I am still a fan of GSP. But both guys have lost respect from me.
That's what happens when you put a guy in front of him that allows Anderson to coast for 2 rounds. Put him in there with a guy that he can't not care and still win easily, guys at 205 because there isn't anyone at MW that will threaten him

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Lol I thought that myself too. I become a BJ Penn fan and he loses. But I don't care if he lost though, atleast BJ chose to fight, and I still have mad respect for him.
So do I, but I'm just pissed because I lost out on a lot of fantasy points.....

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He didn't allow Anderson to coast for two rounds. Anderson was just bullying him, but atleast he was bullying him with strikes and actually doing damage. Anderson could have finished that fight if he wanted to but instead he just said "no, you're not worthy enough to be a highlight reel for me." I like Silva's showboating, but THIS was taking it too far.

Edit: I actually had the fight scored 49-46 Edgar. I don't think the decision was BS. BJ was just out fought by the better fighter tonight, but he still gave his all. I do wish he would have tried to take it to the ground though.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I can't be pissed about 4 and 5 when 1-3 were so godlike. I don't agree that he could have finished the fight whenever he wanted he tried and fucked Maia up pretty badly but the fight didn't end. Yeah if he continued the beating in 4 and 5 Maia probably dies in the ring but whatever. Only letting people who deserve to fight Andy get shots at him solves this problem it has only happened when people who had no business being in the octagon with him got to fight him. If this fight ends after the third (which it should have since Maia didn't deserve a title shot) this goes down as another classic Andy rapefest.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a rapefest, but to me it was for different reasons. It's a rapefest what GSP did to Dan Hardy and I don't agree with it.

Yes, Anderson did beat the shit out of Maia for the first 2 rounds. But I still even think he could have been more aggressive in those two rounds. Granted, Maia's face looked like chipped meat at the end of 2 rounds, but that's just what Anderson does when he wants to fight. Had he fought to what I know is he full potential, Maia is done within those 2 rounds. I mean you saw how frantic Maia was when Anderson engaged, it just wasn't far.

I actually felt very bad for Maia. Here's the guy basically telling him "I've beaten you for 3 rounds and it doesn't matter if I lose these 2. I'm just going to do nothing" and Maia just simply didn't have the skills to compete. I mean I rarely say this but that was just really, really mean...lol.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I don't know dude, Frankie had control over most of that fight. I could see a couple of rounds going to BJ, but I could see someone thinking Edgar won all 5.
They all scored that fight differently, I think it was 50-45, 49-46 and 48-47. That's all you need to know that we need a better judging system in MMA.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That's what happens when you put a guy in front of him that allows Anderson to coast for 2 rounds. Put him in there with a guy that he can't not care and still win easily, guys at 205 because there isn't anyone at MW that will threaten him
If Maia wasn't as qualified as you make him out to be Silva should have finished him. End of story. I am tired of hearing people defend Silva saying "Maia was a chump and Silva didn't care". That isn't an excuse. If Silva is as good as everyone says he is he finishes these fights. If it is a lack of motivation that is still his fault.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, Silva should have finished him. That's the point. And yes, that is completely the case that Maia isn't on the same level as Anderson, and Anderson just simply said he wasn't worthy. It's not an excuse, it's an insult towards Anderson and it's simply fact.

They all scored that fight differently, I think it was 50-45, 49-46 and 48-47. That's all you need to know that we need a better judging system in MMA.
C'mon man. EVERYONE has an opinion. I mean you really couldn't see how someone could have scored all 5 rounds for Maia and a couple for Penn? That's not bad scoring, that's just a very, very small different opinion that someone else has. Regardless, Edger still clearly won the fight.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
It was a rapefest, but to me it was for different reasons. It's a rapefest what GSP did to Dan Hardy and I don't agree with it.

Yes, Anderson did beat the shit out of Maia for the first 2 rounds. But I still even think he could have been more aggressive in those two rounds. Granted, Maia's face looked like chipped meat at the end of 2 rounds, but that's just what Anderson does when he wants to fight. Had he fought to what I know is he full potential, Maia is done within those 2 rounds. I mean you saw how frantic Maia was when Anderson engaged, it just wasn't far.

I actually felt very bad for Maia. Here's the guy basically telling him "I've beaten you for 3 rounds and it doesn't matter if I lose these 2. I'm just going to do nothing" and Maia just simply didn't have the skills to compete. I mean I rarely say this but that was just really, really mean...lol.
Silva absolutely could have been more aggressive in those first two rounds. At the time I just assumed he was toying with Maia and delaying the KO. But I didn't see anything that indicated Silva was really after the KO.

Regarding what you said about GSP. My impression was that he simply didn't properly learn the right techniques for those submissions. He mentioned that in practice people tap out sooner than they would in a fight and so he never actually felt what was required to truly tap someone out in those holds.

I'd love to see a catch weight fight between Silva and GSP. As much as I like GSP, I think at catchweight Silva would be too much to handle. I'd like to believe that GSP could bring Silva down, but I think Silva would be more likely to punish GSP for trying.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If Maia wasn't as qualified as you make him out to be Silva should have finished him. End of story. I am tired of hearing people defend Silva saying "Maia was a chump and Silva didn't care". That isn't an excuse. If Silva is as good as everyone says he is he finishes these fights. If it is a lack of motivation that is still his fault.
it is his fault and I said it in the numerous threads before I thought he should have finished but am I suprised the fight turned out this way? no which is why im not raging like 99% of the forum is, the UFC brass had to expect that something like this might happen after seeing how this pure grappler vs. Anderson matcup played out in the past. Just like GSP should have finished Hardy but alot more people defended GSP because GSP isn't as arrogant or cocky as Silva.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Or it could be he has a soft spot, maybe he knows he can knock out the man anytime. Rather than hurting him he justs takes the easy win. Just a suggestion these guys are humans also, maybe anderson respect his opponent just enough not to knock them out and inflict unnecessary damage when he knows there is no way he can lose.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
You really think Anderson couldn't finish him? Wow......did you see what he did to Maia in 2 ROUNDS!!!! All that damage was in two rounds, because Anderson didn't do shit after the third. He did all that to Maia in the second and third, he danced the entire first fourth and fifth and you think Silva couldn't have ended that anytime he wanted to? I'm not defending him, but please don't act like Maia got to the judges because he has heart and a chin. This isn't GSP v Fitch here.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, Silva could have been more aggressive, but you saw what Maia looked like. I mean it's safe to say Anderson gave about 75% in those 2 rounds he butchered Maia. That was between the showboating and taunting. Had he not done that, perhaps we would have saw a finish. We KNOW Silva is capable of doing so, he just chose not to because he doesn't care. Like I heard someone else say, maybe he's just tired of MMA? Who knows.

I mean he knew he had the first 3 rounds, and the last 2 he just cruised, like saying I already have this in the bag and you can't do anything to stop it. That is arrogance in which I do not like.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.