Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the UFC 122 post-fight conference, silva said Maia had "disrespected" him. When asked "how so?" by a reporter, he didn't go into details, but simply said he wanted to "send a message" to Maia. The first two rounds were jaw-dropping, but the later rounds were comedic at best.

The following is all speculation. I don't know how Maia disrespected him, but I'm speculating that it may have been about Silva's BJJ skills. Perhaps Maia said Silva is not a true BJJ blackbelt -- I don't know. But the more important question was why did Silva simply coast during the latter half of the fight. Pehaps the message that intended to be delivered was that "you can't touch me." Perhaps silva wanted to bust him up, and avoid any more possibility for Maia to even land one punch (Maia inevitably landed some punches, I know -- but that's besides the point). Silva may wanted to hurt him first, and then frustrate Maia by not even giving Maia an oppurtunity of winning.

Now, I tend to dislike assholes and unecessary taunting. But for some reason, I never laughed as hard as I did watching that fight. Whether he was pretending he was getting hurt, or dancing, or playing air guitar, for some reason I found it funny, which is unlike me.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
it looked like he was doing what they do to him, he was running away like most BJJ guys he faces do. Leites did the same and Maia did the same for the first 3 rounds. No one will ever know what his true intentions were or what caused that anger we rarely see from Silva. It will all just be speculation.

He was showing them what a bitch they are and how annoying it is to fight someone who just backs away non stop. At one point silva was planted in the middle of the ring and didnt move for about 30 seconds, Maia did nothing... THROW A LEG KICK!

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
it looked like he was doing what they do to him, he was running away like most BJJ guys he faces do. Leites did the same and Maia did the same for the first 3 rounds. No one will ever know what his true intentions were or what caused that anger we rarely see from Silva. It will all just be speculation.

He was showing them what a bitch they are and how annoying it is to fight someone who just backs away non stop. At one point silva was planted in the middle of the ring and didnt move for about 30 seconds, Maia did nothing... THROW A LEG KICK!

this is how i remember it

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Anderson was funny as hell for the first three rounds. But when they got into the championship rounds, it started to get boring. And on the count of Maia, even though he was so damn outclassed it was sad, and even though he was probably blind on his left side for the last few rounds, he still threw like a madman. Balls of titanium award goes to Demian Maia!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Alright, I didn't watch this fight, but looking at that gif...I am so tired of seeing JJ guys laying on their backs waiting for someone to fall into their gaurd.

I think I recall seeing Travis Lutter fake being hit in the face so that he could lay down on his back a bit more. At this point I can see why Silva would be frustrated having to fight pure JJ or BJJ guys.

There was clearly some clowing around going on here. Maia gets up, and Silva just runs away and hides behind the ref, as if Maia is actually going to hurt him somehow.

I can understand Silva's frustration, and I can understand fans' frustration. I don't know what the solution is, but I would not put Silva against JJ fighters for the time being.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would find the idea of punishing Maia a lot more credible if he had done it the whole five rounds. If Silva busted Maia up for all five rounds the way he did the first two, but deliberatly held off finishing him just to humiliate and hurt him, frankly I would have liked that better than his clowning around.

But he didn't do that, he barely touched Maia in the last two rounds, even when Maia was half-blind and swinging wildly, if he really hated Maia so much, why let him off the hook in the last two rounds?

I think it was just a strange combination of caution, ass clowning and fatigue that slowed Anderson down in the second half more than his desire to show up Maia, otherwise, why stop hammering him in the last two rounds?

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Alright, I didn't watch this fight, but looking at that gif...I am so tired of seeing JJ guys laying on their backs waiting for someone to fall into their gaurd.

I think I recall seeing Travis Lutter fake being hit in the face so that he could lay down on his back a bit more. At this point I can see why Silva would be frustrated having to fight pure JJ or BJJ guys.

There was clearly some clowing around going on here. Maia gets up, and Silva just runs away and hides behind the ref, as if Maia is actually going to hurt him somehow.

I can understand Silva's frustration, and I can understand fans' frustration. I don't know what the solution is, but I would not put Silva against JJ fighters for the time being.
FINALLY someone agrees

I have been saying this for the longest time in other threads as well. Silva doesnt respect BJJ fighters because they dont want to strike and they always shoot for a takedown without properly setting it up.

You have to strike in order to setup a takedown, even if its 2 punches. Maia was suicide bombing at Silvas feet praying to grab hold of a foot...like really?

At least if you give him a BJJ fighter, make sure he has good enough striking to stand in there with Silva for a couple seconds before attempting a takedown and not run around like Leites/Maia did.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
FINALLY someone agrees

I have been saying this for the longest time in other threads as well. Silva doesnt respect BJJ fighters because they dont want to strike and they always shoot for a takedown without properly setting it up.

You have to strike in order to setup a takedown, even if its 2 punches. Maia was suicide bombing at Silvas feet praying to grab hold of a foot...like really?

At least if you give him a BJJ fighter, make sure he has good enough striking to stand in there with Silva for a couple seconds before attempting a takedown and not run around like Leites/Maia did.
Hendo took him down...too bad his Jits wasnt good enough.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it was just a strange combination of caution, ass clowning and fatigue that slowed Anderson down in the second half more than his desire to show up Maia, otherwise, why stop hammering him in the last two rounds?
I agree with this statement. I think the clowning was to disrespect Maia's trash talking about ripping silva's arm off. I don't know if it was also because BJJ guys always drop to guard. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.