Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
When Jake Shields was filmed sitting next to UFC boss Dana White at an April WEC show in Sacramento, speculation began to swirl over when the Strikeforce middleweight champion would be joining the sport’s biggest promotion.

Any doubt about White’s motivation toward Shields was removed when he mouthed the infamous, “He’s mine,” into the lens.

In fact, officials for Strikeforce are already looking toward a future without Shields, should he bolt as expected. A source told Sherdog.com there is a tentative plan to book fights in the division with an eye toward crowning a new 185-pound champion later in 2010, possibly at one of the company’s bigger shows in November or December.

The potential for a grand prix style tournament is not likely given the limited card space and television time for the summer shows that have already started being booked. However, some inside the promotion see the future bookings as a de facto tournament that will eventually fill the potential vacancy by the end of the year.

Fighters expected to be in the mix for title consideration include Robbie Lawler, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Dan Henderson, Jason Miller, Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold among others.

Middleweight is one of the deeper divisions for the company, but the loss of Shields will make it tough for Strikeforce should one of Shields’ former victims win the 185 strap.

Shields holds wins over Lawler, Henderson and Miller. Aside from “Jacare,” those three would have to be considered some of the favorites to claim the belt. Legitimacy will be an issue for any of them should they summit the division.
http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-05-17#24537

Strikeforce is planning to crown a new Middleweight Champion at the end of the year when I assume Jake will be fighting this guy:

·
Banned
820 Posts
As the artical says. Its almost for sure that a person Jake has beaten will probally get the belt. Thats not the best thing for Strikeforce right now. Jake will make waves in the UFC either at 185 or 170.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When Jake Shields was filmed sitting next to UFC boss Dana White at an April WEC show in Sacramento, speculation began to swirl over when the Strikeforce middleweight champion would be joining the sport’s biggest promotion.

Any doubt about White’s motivation toward Shields was removed when he mouthed the infamous, “He’s mine,” into the lens.

In fact, officials for Strikeforce are already looking toward a future without Shields, should he bolt as expected. A source told Sherdog.com there is a tentative plan to book fights in the division with an eye toward crowning a new 185-pound champion later in 2010, possibly at one of the company’s bigger shows in November or December.

The potential for a grand prix style tournament is not likely given the limited card space and television time for the summer shows that have already started being booked. However, some inside the promotion see the future bookings as a de facto tournament that will eventually fill the potential vacancy by the end of the year.

Fighters expected to be in the mix for title consideration include Robbie Lawler, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Dan Henderson, Jason Miller, Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold among others.

Middleweight is one of the deeper divisions for the company, but the loss of Shields will make it tough for Strikeforce should one of Shields’ former victims win the 185 strap.

Shields holds wins over Lawler, Henderson and Miller. Aside from “Jacare,” those three would have to be considered some of the favorites to claim the belt. Legitimacy will be an issue for any of them should they summit the division.
I'm guessing this is the article you mean? Although I believe Shields is moving to the UFC this article seems to be purely speculation.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I've got totally mixed feelings for Shields going to the UFC. I want Shields to fight at MW in the UFC. He IMO is the best stylistic matchup for Silva, Belfort, and Marquardt, and Shields vs Maia would be an absolute clinic and I don't know who to really call on it.

But at WW he's got an almost guaranteed win over Fitch. His wrestling is more proven and he's beaten Fitch in a grappling match already. He's also beaten top fighters like Diego Sanchez. Shields vs Alves would be a barn burner and Shields vs GSP could be pretty epic.

But if he leaves Strikeforce without fighting Jacare... that'll be a really big shame too.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The only Fight in strikeforce thats relevant for Jake is against Jacare which would be a really good fight both have world class bjj but its the only fight worthwhile there now.Where as if jake go's to the UFC theres so many match ups at both WW and MW.I hope he goes to the UFC really wanna see some of the possible match ups.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
They should tell Mousasi to drop to middleweight because as well as Jacare, there's then two guys who they can say would have beat Shields anyway. With Shields in the UFC, he wont be able to prove otherwise.

Perhaps they should do a tourney with Hendo, Jacare, Mousasi and Lawlor. I'd expect Mousasi to win that and think Jacare could beat both Hendo and Lawlor too.

As for Shields in the UFC, I think his takedown ability will look a whole lot different when he's fighting someone a bit more agile than Dan Henderson. Despite Dan being a high caliber GR wrestler, he's quite slow and flat footed, and I can't see the likes of Fitch and GSP being there when Shields shoots as much as Hendo was.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Mousasi is never going to work hard enough to make 185. He has the body for it, he's just way to lazy (or isn't getting paid enough to care).

When Mousasi went to train with GSP, Greg Jackson's camp was saying how Mousasi is so incredibly talented, but his training regimen is just messing around.

Chael Sonnen, on the other hand, is insane. He dropped over 36 pounds in 21 days.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Id like to see Jake fight at WW at least once before he fights St. Pierre just to shake the octogon jitters..

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Shields is one boring fighter, I hope he goes nowhere in the UFC and that Fitch destroys him and he never even makes it to a title shot ever.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Mousasi is never going to work hard enough to make 185. He has the body for it, he's just way to lazy (or isn't getting paid enough to care).

When Mousasi went to train with GSP, Greg Jackson's camp was saying how Mousasi is so incredibly talented, but his training regimen is just messing around.

Chael Sonnen, on the other hand, is insane. He dropped over 36 pounds in 21 days.
Who exactly in Greg Jackson's camp said this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
UFC has good WW wrestlers. I can actually see him beating anyone with a bad sprawl game but against the likes of Koscheck & GSP, his head will probably get knocked into the third row. Shields is too one dementional, his stand up is non existant...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts