Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

The LHW Division, fighting for 3rd place?

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  limba 
#1 ·
I was thinking about the LHW division today. Most people believe this to be the deepest division in MMA, and I don't think anyone can argue the fact that the UFC clearly has the majority of that depth.

This got me thinking about a scenario. What if, Shogun Vs. Machida 2 is another insanely close fight that once again stirs up controversy? This would be even more intense, if this time the razor thin decision goes to Shogun. Do you think the UFC would actually do another immediate rematch? In this event this would have Shogun and Lyoto tying up that title for the better part of a year, but if the same thing happens to Machida that happened to Shgoun I don't see how they could deny him.

However, then I thought about the alternatives. To me, the most obvious choice for the number one contender spot would have to be the winner of Rashad and Rampage, both former champions, both threats to the title. But I'm not sure how well Evans/Machida 2 would sell. Whereas I do believe Rampage Vs. Shogun or Machida would sell pretty huge.

In short, I'm wondering what's better... being in a division with a seemingly unbeatable champion? Or being in a division where you've got four to five guys that could take the belt at any given point, I think for the fans it's the ladder of the two.

So I'm curious, who do you think will get the shot at the winner of Machida/Shogun?

Do you think it should be Rampage or Rashad, or even Forrest or Nog, or do you think the UFC should go for a long shot and give a guy like Jon Jones a shot assuming he beats someone like Thiago Silva or Ryan Bader, just to mis things up?

Or would you be into a Machida/Shogun 3 in the event of another close call?

See less See more
#2 ·
The top of the division is really clogged up right now. It seems that we will have the same guys fighting eachother for some time, unless Lil Nog makes a run. Then to me that gives time for Jon Jones, or Bader to step up. The Division is just really packed up with so many contenders.

#3 ·
I don't think anyone is fighting for third. It would make me really angry to see a second immediate rematch. I said in another thread that I want to see something new and I still think that. Even if it is a Rashad/Machida rematch. I really think that the UFC so respect the decisions of its judges and make the loser fight back up the ranks. Even if the loser fought like the next #2 contender or someone really high but at least they made him fight someone else.

#4 ·
I would watch a Machida/Shogun fight even 10 times! These guys let MMA shine in the most beautiful way :praise01:

But I guess, if Rampage wins against Rashad, then he earned his shot in Danas mind. And I belive it would be the best contender :thumbsup:

If Rashad wins, then he would probably make a number 1 contender fight, with the winner of Nog/Forrest.. or even Liddell/Franklin :dunno:

otherwise I don't see any other ontenders except Jones. But I doupt Dana throws him in there! Maybe in 2 years!

in my mind, the LHW devision doesn't really look that stacked right now.

#25 ·
in my mind, the LHW devision doesn't really look that stacked right now.
In a way it's so true.
There are a lot of very good fighters in the LHW division and a lot of scenarios. But all these depend on the outcome of the upcoming fights. There are too many "IF".
My pick for the next challenger would be Rampage. Only problem with that - he hasn't fought in some time in the UFC.
Rashad - a shot would be too early after his loss to Machida
Lil' Nog - if he wins, a shot at the title after only 2 fights in the UFC might seem undeserving in some peoples' eyes. Plus...that would require a win from Shogun.
Forrest - no way title shot, even if he beats Nog
A. Silva - i don't think so.
Jon Jones - some say it's too early. Might be, but 2 more wins over Top 10 fighters = title shot in my books.
Couture - maybe, but i don't think he would deserve that after a decision vs Vera and that "fight" with Coleman

So..there you have it...to many "IF", if you ask me...
It all depends on the outcome of the next 3 big fights in the LHW

#5 · (Edited)
I think the #3 spot has to go to A. silva. with his effortless destruction of #5 forrest how could it not?

I expect a #1 contender or title shot for silva soon. Especially if Machida wins. Dana will force it for spite. He might even be pissed enough to make him fight Nog for a shot at Machida.
If Shogun wins, it's wide open with so many great potential matches. My favorite would still be Silva.

flame away

#6 ·
Shogun win opens up a fight with Anderson which would be a great bout. Machida wins opens up a bout with the winner of Rashad/Rampage.

The UFC is trying to babyfeed Jon Jones at this point, which is a bit annoying. Bader also has somewhat of a shot at being a top 10 guy, despite his lack of stand-up technique. And of course, this childish in-house ducking will have Lil Nog and Machida decline to fight each other. :confused05:

I also hope to God the UFC doesn't try to let Couture cherrypick his way to another title shot. It certainly seems like they are on that path.

#7 ·
u arent even really a champion til u defend.

if you call what Machida did defending then i guess he is legit. i dont see it that way.

why is he unbeatable?? cuz he beat some up and comers?? he hasnt even come remotely close to clearing the division and see that 1st defense and his inability to push fights if he is seemingly behind, i question how long his reign will be.

Shogun has already looked very human. I see no reason cuz he KO'd Chuck during the goodbye Chuck KO festival and then gave Machida a good fight but lacked the courage to try and finish.... why is he unbeatable again??

LHW Belt will be around somebody other then Shogun or Machida within 14 months.

#8 ·
Shogun only looked 'human' when he was suffering from serious knee injuries, or recently returning from knee surgery. He was imperious in PRIDE. Wins over Rampage, Nog, Overeem (2), Arona, Gono, Diabate, Randleman, Nakamura, Coleman and Liddell is one hell of a career. After his 2005 PRIDE GP victory he was arguably the greatest fighter in the world. It's only when he was suffering with injuries, and ring-rust that he's looked human. I still see Shogun dominating the 205lb division in the UFC.

#13 ·
I definitely wouldnt want to see an immediate Shogun-Machida rubber match under any circumstances, and i dont think DW would make that happen anyway because it would be hard to sell that as a fight. If Shogun beats Machida and Anderson Silva beats Sonnen, then i think Dana White should and would strongly consider setting up a Silva-Rua fight which would sell very well and be very exciting.
If that didnt happen, then i think the winner of Rampage-Rashad should and would definitely get the next shot at Shogun.
If Machida wins, however, then its extremely doubtful that Anderson Silva wuold fight for the title because they are Blackhouse teammates and it's also doubtful that Rashad would get a title shot considering how easily Machida dismantled him the first time around. In that scenario, i think they would give a title shot to Rampage if he were to win his fight against Rashad and if not then maybe a shot to Lil Nog if he beats Forrest convincingly.
I cant see them giving a shot to Forrest, however, due to how embarrasingly he got destroyed in his last fight against Anderson Silva. It wuold be hard to sell someone fighting for the title after they just got humiliated like that, even if he does end up beating Lil Nog.
So, if Rashad, Machida, and Forrest all end up winning their respective fights then things would get very interesting and confusing to decide who shuold get the title shot. In that situation, I wouldnt be too surprised if Dana White lets Machida sit on the title for a bit while Jon Jones beats someone like Thiago Silva and then he would give Jon Jones the title shot in what would be a very exciting and marketable fight.

To sum up:

If Machida wins, the #1 contender should be:

1. Rampage
2. Lil Nog
3. Jon Jones

in that order, assuming they all win their next fights

And if Shogun wins, the title shot should go to

1. Anderson Silva
2. Rampage/Rashad
3. Lil Nog

in that order, assuming they all win their next fights.

#15 ·
Is it just me or is everyone counting out a Rashad rematch too early? If Rashad beats Rampage in any convincing manner then I would think he would be pretty close to a rematch. He was undefeated before that fight, he beats Rampage, and is a very maketable name. The only other person I see getting a shot before Rashad if he wins is Lil Nog and does anyone know if he will even fight Machida? It is too early in Jon Jones' career for a title shot and Anderson won't fight. Granted this is all based on Rashad defeating Rampage so this is all just me guessing what would happen.

#19 ·
I'm terrified at what could possibly happen in the rematch. If Shogun wins by controversial decision, Lyoto DESERVES that rematch as well. To deny him that would be completely unfair. But at the same time, no one wants to see the same championship fight 3 times in a row. Not to mention there are other contenders who want a shot too. Let's just hope this fights end by stoppage.

#21 ·
So Bader is a step up from Rampage or Thiago? I think the winner of Rampage/Rashad should get the title shot because they are the ones who have been fighting in the UFC for a while and a win over forrest does not deserve a title shot in my opinion. It is difficult to beat him but I put Rampage/Rashad as higher.

#22 ·
Obviously the Bader Match up was a joke. A reference to... Nvm I shouldn't havbe to explain myself. Anyway I'm saying because this will be Rampages 3rd straight win if he beats Rashad. Only Rashads 2nd if he wins. Then again, Shogun won two fights to get to Machida. But under different circumstances. Idk anymore. Just let me see great fights in the LHW division is what I'm saying.

#24 ·
They are going to have to give Jones another step up in competition and there aren't that many more steps above vera. So, assuming Jones, Rashad, Machida and Nog all win their next fights, Two camps would hold the top 5 lhw. Somebody's gonna have to fight. What a cluster****. And don't think Phil davis or Ryan Bader are going to stay out of that mix much longer.

What a great time to be an oldfan.

#29 ·
Lil Nog has said he is willing to fight anybody to be champion.

perhaps he changed his mind?? i remember soares saying he thinks it would happen too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.