Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of future matchup type threads so here is another one...

What do you guys want to see happen in the LHW division for matchups.

We already know that Shogun is fighting Rashad.

I would like to see Machida fight Griffin, Lil Nog fight Bader and Jackson fight Jones.

Machida needs to fight someone that is top 10 but I wouldn't want to feed him one of the up and coming fighters in Bader or Jones. Griffin has leg kicks and decent stand up with long range, I think he would be a good test for Machida as long as Griffin doesn't go kamikaze like he did against Silva.

Lil Nog was rather disappointing against Brilz and I think Bader would have a really good shot against him. Would let us get to see how far Bader's stand up has come as well.

Jackson fighting Jones is a very tough fight for Jones. Jackson needs to fight someone though and Jones needs to take the next step up as long as he beats Matyushenko like I expect him to. Either that or give Jackson an easier opponent like Vera or if he will wait then Thiago Silva(still don't get why he is fighting Boetsch...)

What do you guys think and what would you do?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Lots of future matchup type threads so here is another one...

What do you guys want to see happen in the LHW division for matchups.

We already know that Shogun is fighting Rashad.

I would like to see Machida fight Griffin, Lil Nog fight Bader and Jackson fight Jones.

Machida needs to fight someone that is top 10 but I wouldn't want to feed him one of the up and coming fighters in Bader or Jones. Griffin has leg kicks and decent stand up with long range, I think he would be a good test for Machida as long as Griffin doesn't go kamikaze like he did against Silva.

Lil Nog was rather disappointing against Brilz and I think Bader would have a really good shot against him. Would let us get to see how far Bader's stand up has come as well.

Jackson fighting Jones is a very tough fight for Jones. Jackson needs to fight someone though and Jones needs to take the next step up as long as he beats Matyushenko like I expect him to. Either that or give Jackson an easier opponent like Vera or if he will wait then Thiago Silva(still don't get why he is fighting Boetsch...)

What do you guys think and what would you do?
Machida VS Rampage (Headliner)
Lil Nog VS Jon Jones (Headliner)
Brillz VS Forrest
T Silva VS Bader

Machida Vs Rampage is the best, sure-fire #1 headliner.

With the the money he got paid, I would feed Lil Nog to Jon Jones. Maybe get him train a little harder.

Brillz deserves it now...

Thiago Silva V Bader, lets see if Bader can take people down like Evans and eat some hard punches.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Give Jackson a quick fight so he does not have time to say he was out of shape or he has more ring rust or more excuses. Put him in with Lil Nog because I had Nog losing that fight and I think that would be an entertaining fight. Machida Jackson would be good too but I think Machida would just be smart and Take Down Jackson and do the same thing that Rashad just did if he can. Not sure how Machida's trip takedowns would work against someone who has such a strong base like Rampage. Anyone know how that would work?

Jones should fight Thiago Silva. That seems like a better match up and would be a good test for Jones and a good fight to see if Silva is back to his winning ways. Though I still give this fight to Bones.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Machida Jackson would be good too but I think Machida would just be smart and Take Down Jackson and do the same thing that Rashad just did if he can. Not sure how Machida's trip takedowns would work against someone who has such a strong base like Rampage. Anyone know how that would work?
Why do you think he would take down Rampage?? There is no need for Lyoto to take this fight to the ground. Only if he wants to practise his GnP and Top Control against a strong Wrestler for the next bout with Shogun. Otherwise he would just outstrike Jackson and leave him bruised up.

But for your TD question, I am sure Lyoto can bring anybody of balance. It's his outstanding technique wich makes it look so easy.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I think that there could be a bunch of different matchups with the potential to be great fights. I see it like this.

Rua vs Evans - Evans has shown a lot of improvement since his loss to Machida. He has a much better shot to beat Rua now than he had a year ago. I still give this one to Rua by KO/TKO

Machida vs Rampage - Machida is coming off a serious loss, and Rampage is looking to prove his loss to Evans was just ring rust. I see Rampage coming in aggressively, looking to overwhelm Machida and ending up in a Thiago Silva-esq situation, however Rampage has a MUCH better chin than Thiago. Machida by UD.

Griffin vs Bader - Both of these fighters are coming off wins, but have a lot to prove IMO. Griffin, I think, is still living in the remarkably long shadow of Silva's retreating jab and needs to prove it was a fluke. Bader is an up and comer with tons of potential. If he beats Griffin he is one step closer to the top of the dog pile.

Lil Nog vs Jones - Nog appeared rather poor in his disputed win against Brilz. The victory did almost nothing for his LHW standings. He needs a win against a skilled opponent who has fan support. Jones is another up and comer in the LHW division with a ton of potential. He has power and skill and if he defeats Lil Nog, he's well on his way to a title shot IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Shogun Rua - Rashad Evans
Little Nog - Jon Bones Jones
Cyrille Diabate - Forrest Griffin

eight guys that we don't know where they place in the LHW
Chuck Liddell - Luiz Cane
Jason Brilz - Rich Franklin
Vitor Belfort - Brandon Vera
Phil Davis - Keith Jardine

dream matches
Anderson Silva - Lyoto Machida - top of the division
Randy Couture - Rampage Jackson - Icon fight that might be great
Stephan Bonnar - Tito Ortiz - bottom of the division
Vladimir Matyushenko - Krzysztof Soszynski - fun to spell, might be a good fight
Ryan Bader - Matt Hamill - to see how good Bader really is

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
You gotta give Lil Nog some credit he had limited amount of time to train wrestling. The same could be said about Brilz, but lets face it he's going to implement the same game plan against any fighter whether it's a striker, BJJ or wrestler. Anybody who fights a wrestler is going to look that way. If anything it's a testament to Brillz skills and performance.

I just want to see Rua vs Rashad NOW!!! After Shogun won I already said that Rashad poses the biggest threat next to Anderson Silva and this is coming from someone who is NOT a fan of Rashad's. Every fighter has a weakness and you know Rashad is going to grind em for all five rounds ala Coleman style. Flipside is that's a lot of energy he'll be expending. Shogun has to be in phenomenal shape and conditioning cuz it may not end early if Rashad plays a safe game. He's gonna bob, weave, feint, strike a bit and change levels for the clinch and takedowns...RINSE REPEAT RECYCLE. I see Shogun chopping his legs sacrificing a few takedowns in the process then landing a flying knee FTW!!!

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Machida Jackson would be good too but I think Machida would just be smart and Take Down Jackson and do the same thing that Rashad just did if he can. Not sure how Machida's trip takedowns would work against someone who has such a strong base like Rampage. Anyone know how that would work?
I pondered the same thing while thinking about this matchup, and I do think it will be very hard, if not impossible for Machida to take Rampage down with his neat little throw. He looked great doing it against Shogun, but Rampage has freakish core strength and of course the wrestling base. So no, I don't see Lyoto taking Rampage down. I don't think he will intend to do it either.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I pondered the same thing while thinking about this matchup, and I do think it will be very hard, if not impossible for Machida to take Rampage down with his neat little throw. He looked great doing it against Shogun, but Rampage has freakish core strength and of course the wrestling base. So no, I don't see Lyoto taking Rampage down. I don't think he will intend to do it either.
I doupt he will intend it like you said! But he certainly can. I mean he pushed two of the best Judokas around like nothing plus one of the strongest and best Wrestler's at LHW. I don't see how this version of Rampage could stop them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts