Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sexyama was seen as a contender, he got beaten by Leben via submission after dropping bombs on his head for a long time, Leben has a fantastic chin, i get that, but what i don't understand is how Andy was able to KO him in like 1 minute?! Anderson is the MW King and has the power and skills to KO anyone whenever he wants, he has shown this time and time again and Chael or Vitor will not be able to stop this. If anything their agressive styles will make it a Griffin-esque fight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
he's a fcking alien that's how he made leben go night-night so quickly. haha.

The rest of the MW division just needs to wise up and do what Franklin did and get the hell out that weight class and move up or down, and then force Silva to move up to LHW. or Dana should just remove the MW division entirely. :laugh:

Or UFC just needs to put on one of those open weight class tournaments like Pride used to do and end the PNP discussion once and for all. Ok i'm just rambling here, too much coffee.

Sexyama was seen as a contender, he got beaten by Leben via submission after dropping bombs on his head for a long time, Leben has a fantastic chin, i get that, but what i don't understand is how Andy was able to KO him in like 1 minute?! Anderson is the MW King and has the power and skills to KO anyone whenever he wants, he has shown this time and time again and Chael or Vitor will not be able to stop this. If anything their agressive styles will make it a Griffin-esque fight.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts

I think the reason Silva has that tremendous KO power, is basically, he's an aboration. There's nothing usual about Anderson Silva, from his unorthodox style where punches come from unexpected directions, to his amazing technical ability. He makes guys look the amateurs because they just don't know how to fight him, I don't think anyone does.

Plenty of unconsicous bodys mark where people thought they could stand with him. I suspect an outcome much like Griffin, or Leban against Belfort.

I'm not 100% sure of Anderson's ground skills. I know they are underrated, but there just aren't that many incidences of extended ground fighting. I hope to see Sonnen take him down multiple times in their fight to get a better understanding of his ground abilities.

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the reason Silva has that tremendous KO power, is basically, he's an aboration. There's nothing usual about Anderson Silva, from his unorthodox style where punches come from unexpected directions, to his amazing technical ability. He makes guys look the amateurs because they just don't know how to fight him, I don't think anyone does.
I do not doubt that Andy could KO Brock in a Muay Thai fight.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I do not doubt that Andy could KO Brock in a Muay Thai fight.
I don't think Brock could stand with ANY pro stand up fighter in a stand up fight. He's a great groundfighter, not a GnPer, now that he has proven he can sub even after being rocked. But without the ability to take the opponent down, and stay there, he wouldn't last one round.

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think Brock could stand with ANY pro stand up fighter in a stand up fight. He's a great groundfighter, not a GnPer, now that he has proven he can sub even after being rocked. But without the ability to take the opponent down, and stay there, he wouldn't last one round.
Exactly why i think Cain will win.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
People often forget that Cote took some shots from AS and kept smiling. But I do not think Cote will ever beat AS.

The real problem with almost anyone who enters MW is that the first thing that happens is everyone sizes them up next to AS, says they won't beat him, and then ignores them. At MW so far it seems that any fight not including AS is guaranteed to be exciting. While there probably has been a couple, I have a hard time remembering any snoozefests at 185. Almost all 185'ers are guys who give it their all and try to never let it reach the judges.

I do think AS has a couple good fights left at 185, but for the most part the people don't deserve the fight yet (never stopped the UFC before!) or they are interesting because of a single aspect. Maia is a great example of this. The reality is that it is up to AS now if he wants interesting fights or not. He can walk to DW and call out pretty much any fighter and DW would set it up. Not sure what is up with him, but AS (to me) does not seem to be interested in difficult or interesting fights.

On a side note, can we please get Okami vs AS? That is one fight we know he would want to finish!

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
On a side note, can we please get Okami vs AS? That is one fight we know he would want to finish!
I hope we get there someday..

If Okami gets past Munoz (wich I believe he will), then fights the winner of Nate/Pahlarres he should be right back there on the top.

But then only if Silva is still a MW..

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
We will never see Anderson/Okami II unless Okami starts to finish people. Look what they're doing with Fitch. I'm one of the first guys to say his fights aren't so exciting but he deserves a shot at GSP more than anyone else in the division. So unless Okami finishes or beats someone through the mat for 3 rounds (with a recognizable name like Vitor or Marquardt) he'll never get a shot.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Akiyama was too gassed to land quick hard combinations on Leben in the second which is why he couldn't finish him. Andy hit him with accurate hard shots in rapid succession and also landed a powerful knee.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The quicker AS vacates the title and moves up to 205 permanantly the better for the division imo. Will make for much more entertaining title fights and a more competitive division.

If Sonnen can somehow beat AS in a few weeks he may well make it happen.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
He did with one punch to Forrest Griffen what Stephan Bonnar couldn't do in 30 minutes. Twice.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
People often forget that Cote took some shots from AS and kept smiling. But I do not think Cote will ever beat AS.

The real problem with almost anyone who enters MW is that the first thing that happens is everyone sizes them up next to AS, says they won't beat him, and then ignores them. At MW so far it seems that any fight not including AS is guaranteed to be exciting. While there probably has been a couple, I have a hard time remembering any snoozefests at 185. Almost all 185'ers are guys who give it their all and try to never let it reach the judges.

I do think AS has a couple good fights left at 185, but for the most part the people don't deserve the fight yet (never stopped the UFC before!) or they are interesting because of a single aspect. Maia is a great example of this. The reality is that it is up to AS now if he wants interesting fights or not. He can walk to DW and call out pretty much any fighter and DW would set it up. Not sure what is up with him, but AS (to me) does not seem to be interested in difficult or interesting fights.

This is more of a rediculous complement to Cote than an insult to the rest of the division.

Why not size every one up next to the champion? Its a legitimate question to ask, "Can this guy beat Anderson Silva?" If he can't then his addition does nothing for the division and it remains stagnant.

The quicker AS vacates the title and moves up to 205 permanantly the better for the division imo. Will make for much more entertaining title fights and a more competitive division.

Why would an potentially unbeatable champion vacate his title because no one can beat him? That's like not sending a rocket to the moon because we know we can...it doesn't make sense:confused05:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Why would an potentially unbeatable champion vacate his title because no one can beat him? That's like not sending a rocket to the moon because we know we can...it doesn't make sense:confused05:
maybe he want's a challenge? not saying theres no challenges for him at 185 but he hasn't exactly been motivated by his most recent defences has he.

Ed Soares stated that AS wants to fight his last few UFC fights at 265, 205 or catchwieght. So I don't expect him to stay in the MW division for that much longer.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts

I think he's transcended his championship belt in a way that no UFC fighter has. I don't think he cares anymore. One or two more title defenses, he'll set a record that will be very hard to touch. His fights aren't even wars, they've been acts of domination.

The Silva Vs GSP fight at WW was there, it was all set up, Silva said he would fight at 170 - Dana White tucked away GSP in TUF and recycled Koscheck - so out goes that (F U Dana White).

He might as well vacate MW and let the previous/current contenders duke it out and start a MW merry-go-round - GSP (if he finds time for a year off for his nutrition and training to move up a weight class), Vitor, perhaps Machida moving down or an up-n-comer like Hathaway moving up.

No fighter in the UFC deserves a different weight class title shot more than Silva. Nonetheless, with the high level at LHW top, he'd be what like 36-37 before he'd get a shot at LHW title even if he vacated MW and had to fight his way to the top.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts