Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
i have some of this stuff if i had space i would really want to buy some matts for grappling and maybe a heavy bag but at the moment no space in my house for that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very quality lists Onganju. Don't forget rash guards though. Not always a must have but definitely good to have for grappling on a mat or carpet in my opinion.
Plus they help protect against ringworm, etc. I try to wear my longsleeve rash guards as much as possible.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay guys, I thought I'd add a thing or two to this. If you have the choice of one set of striking training gloves, I highly recommend these: IMF Tech Training Gloves.

These gloves are awesome. The fit and feel are easy to get into due to the molded foam setting. They offer a lot of protection for both you and your sparring partner (unless you are hitting them in the head repeatedly) and still provide a bit of feedback to let you know that you are hitting your target solidly.

The cuff is a velcro closing with an elastic cover sleeve that helps support your wrist and protect your partner from getting scraped up or "velcro-burned." It's a small detail, but it sure as hell helps if you do any sort of clinch work.

The gloves are a steal at $64.95. They are comparable to IMF Training Gloves offered by Ringside. In fact, since they are from the same manufacturer (just branded differently) they are practically identical in function and fit. The new IMF Training Gloves by Ringside are simply the new model in a different color and finish rolled out this season. At $25 price difference, they are a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
train with 14 or 16oz gloves youd be surprised how much quicker your hands are when you compete with 4 oz gloves after using heavy gloves during training

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Okay guys, I thought I'd add a thing or two to this. If you have the choice of one set of striking training gloves, I highly recommend these: IMF Tech Training Gloves.

These gloves are awesome. The fit and feel are easy to get into due to the molded foam setting. They offer a lot of protection for both you and your sparring partner (unless you are hitting them in the head repeatedly) and still provide a bit of feedback to let you know that you are hitting your target solidly.

The cuff is a velcro closing with an elastic cover sleeve that helps support your wrist and protect your partner from getting scraped up or "velcro-burned." It's a small detail, but it sure as hell helps if you do any sort of clinch work.

The gloves are a steal at $64.95. They are comparable to IMF Training Gloves offered by Ringside. In fact, since they are from the same manufacturer (just branded differently) they are practically identical in function and fit. The new IMF Training Gloves by Ringside are simply the new model in a different color and finish rolled out this season. At $25 price difference, they are a hell of a deal.
Would they do triple duty for pad work, bag work and ground fighting?

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey swpthleg, sorry I didn't see that one earlier. The IMF Tech Gloves would definitely cover your Sparring, Bag and Mitt/Pad work in spades. They are strictly striking gloves, and although I have done "sprawl and brawl" type drills with them, rolling with them on sucks. They just aren't the right tools for the job. For that, you would get some grappling gloves. This is an awesome pair for that, and a great deal.

If you absolutely need a second pair of striking gloves (which is always a good idea if you don't want to get stuck with the old, stinky gloves lying around the gym), I would readily suggest these here. They aren't the fanciest or nicest feeling gloves, but they are a great all-purpose glove that you can abuse at a reasonable price.

·
Invictus Maneo
983 Posts
People actually use grappling gloves??? If im getting ready for a fight and im just rolling i will just throw on my MMA training gloves, I don't really get the point of grappling gloves....

and knee pads? I don't really see anyone wearing knee pads anymore.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
People actually use grappling gloves??? If im getting ready for a fight and im just rolling i will just throw on my MMA training gloves, I don't really get the point of grappling gloves....

Because some of us have not conditioned our knuckles very well and need more padding *whistles*

Thanks Onganju!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Knee pads for wrestling are common place. If I do a ton of drilling shoots without a kneepad, I'll know about it for the rest of the week.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Great list very useful.

I would also put down MMA shorts as a "must"

Make sure they have the split near the knee, they are also really good for Muay Thai and don't obstruct your kicks. Get elastic ones but with a draw string, you will also want them 1 size smaller than your normal shorts size.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts