Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been posted here. If you haven't seen it, you must.
I can't wait for the days when every MMA fighter will be doing MMA since childhood. No more Mike Russow-type guys pulling upsets.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! It's amazing how dedicated they are and that they are willing to go through it all at such a young age and decided that that's what they want to do. It's also great to hear that they are top-notch in class too! Great vid, rep! :thumbsup:

I don't want to believe that he started teaching them thai at 18 months of age though. My sister's almost 3 years old and I don't see her learning anything like that, as she could just walk away anytime, but who knows, maybe if you put time in to it, maybe it is possible.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Some people seem to be of the mindset that all Mixed Martial Artists should start with one discipline and carry that label forever.

These kids are learning the basics of several martial arts and plan to go to college and master wrestling. They'll likely still spend time developing their BJJ and striking skills.

I think they have the best approach for anyone that wants to be a professional fighter. Plus they are getting some damn good coaching.

By the time their eighteen, they'll have learned to avoid all of the rookie mistakes that fighters still make today. And they'll have spent years seeing what the different styles bring to the table.

Do these kids have less discipline than someone that focuses on one martial art? I sure as hell don't think so.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
What makes you think that ?
What do you mean?
http://www.mmaforum.com/general-mma-discussion/79081-how-far-we-away.html

It's the beginning of the end guys..

Some people seem to be of the mindset that all Mixed Martial Artists should start with one discipline and carry that label forever.

These kids are learning the basics of several martial arts and plan to go to college and master wrestling. They'll likely still spend time developing their BJJ and striking skills.

I think they have the best approach for anyone that wants to be a professional fighter. Plus they are getting some damn good coaching.

By the time their eighteen, they'll have learned to avoid all of the rookie mistakes that fighters still make today. And they'll have spent years seeing what the different styles bring to the table.

Do these kids have less discipline than someone that focuses on one martial art? I sure as hell don't think so.
Nobody says that!

But the meaning of true Martial Art would be gone and everything left is just that.. a fighting style made for a Sport in a Cage.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! It's amazing how dedicated they are and that they are willing to go through it all at such a young age and decided that that's what they want to do. It's also great to hear that they are top-notch in class too! Great vid, rep! :thumbsup:

I don't want to believe that he started teaching them thai at 18 months of age though. My sister's almost 3 years old and I don't see her learning anything like that, as she could just walk away anytime, but who knows, maybe if you put time in to it, maybe it is possible.
I think it's easy to be this dedicated when your a young kid, because you often just do whatever a parent says within reason.
The real test will be when they are teenagers start developing their own minds and want to hang around with girls etc, but they look amazing so far,so don't want to be all negative just yet, good luck boys.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
It's the beginning of the end guys..
You can't say that. You could be just as right as me saying that only guys like that will be the next BJ's, the next GSP's, and as far as I'm concerned, everyone ALWAYS will have their favourite MMA discipline. You may be well-rounded, but people will always like BJJ just a bit more than wrestling, muay-thai just a bit more then boxing and vice-versa, thus perfecting a certain aspect of the sport that much more.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Nobody says that!

But the meaning of true Martial Art would be gone and everything left is just that.. a fighting style made for a Sport in a Cage.
Sorry if I put words in your mouth.

When it comes down to it, not all martial arts are equal when it comes to fighting. And most of today's elite fighters like GSP and Anderson Silva are strong in multiple disciplines.

These kids, or their father, want to be mixed martial artists, taking the best from many disciplines. They are focusing on success in the cage under specific rules.

They will always be taught by people that are masters of specific martial arts. They may also become a black belt in a traditional martial art and I don't think anyone learning all of these disciplines will not respect the masters of those arts.

There will always be karate, BJJ and wrestling tournaments. But spending time to master your martial art and winning them may mean sacrificing other skills that could help you be a better all around mixed martial artist.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Sorry if I put words in your mouth.

When it comes down to it, not all martial arts are equal when it comes to fighting. And most of today's elite fighters like GSP and Anderson Silva are strong in multiple disciplines.

These kids, or their father, want to be mixed martial artists, taking the best from many disciplines. They are focusing on success in the cage under specific rules.

They will always be taught by people that are masters of specific martial arts. They may also become a black belt in a traditional martial art and I don't think anyone learning all of these disciplines will not respect the masters of those arts.

There will always be karate, BJJ and wrestling tournaments. But spending time to master your martial art and winning them may mean sacrificing other skills that could help you be a better all around mixed martial artist.
I Love the Anderson Silva's, Lyoto Machida's, GSP's, BJ Penn's and so on.. all very well rounded MMA fighters. But every single one of them has a unique fighting background. And thats very important for me as a Martial Arts fan!

Guys like those above would ruin the entire sport for me.

We would only have a Sport left.. but the beauty of it would leave us forever.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
I Love the Anderson Silva's, Lyoto Machida's, GSP's, BJ Penn's and so on.. all very well rounded MMA fighters. But every single one of them has a unique fighting background. And thats very important for me as a Martial Arts fan!

Guys like those above would ruin the entire sport for me.

We would only have a Sport left.. but the beauty of it would leave us forever.
Like I said - people will always have a certain aspect of the game that they will favour more than the other. Look at it this way - now, people are starting with, say, BJJ, but when they decide to do MMA, they slowly learn other aspects of the game to be more well rounded and more competetive. Now, everything will go the other way. People will learn the basics of MMA, but as they grow, a specific art will grow to them and they will choose to learn it deeper. The future of MMA isn't written in stone, it could go in many ways. And I don't get why do you think that the future of MMA will consist only from the basics of every Martial Art. Especially, if the younger you start, the more you will learn!

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
These are like mini GSPs :thumb02:
I really love their dedication and thei commitment to training, their desire to learn, their discipline, in and out of the cage.

And Bobby, i understand your point of view and i respect it.
Some MMA fans might feel that something has been stolen from them, if fighters would start learning MMA right from the beggining instead of being a martial artist and than going into MMA.
That was the original concept of MMA: creating a competition where fighters from different styles of fighting could fight each other in order to determin who is better. Boxing vs wrestling, karate vs jiu-jitsu, muay thai vs wrestling....and so on.

I think you are too concerned about the fact that in the future we will have the classical MMA fights like: striker vs grappler or wrestler vs boxer ... but, instead of this we will have fights like: mixed martial artist vs mixed martial artist.
I think this won't happen. Because, even with this children... they are training MMA, but there will always be one discipline that these kids will be better at. And when the time comes for them to make their debut as professional MMA fighters they will go against fighters that haven't taken the road they have. There will always be fighters that have started as wrestlers and went into MMA, or grapplers who have made the move to MMA.
The future is not "black" Bobby. Nor is it white. It will be "grey". MMA has evolved a lot since its beggining and will still evolve.
And when the doors of the cage close, it's fighter vs fighter. The better man wins. And that is and will always be the essence of MMA.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
And i forgot something.
This isn't MMA material yet, but who knows. It's Manhoef's son. He's name is Million and he's 5 years old. Trains in muai-thay. Imo the kid is great. Maybe one day he will follow in the footspets of his dad. With better wrestling and jiu jitsu....that is. :)

the part from 4:20 to 6:40 is great.
Somebody pls embed this?! Thank you.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Embedded..
The kids today that are training with the pros are insane, and are absolutely the future of MMA. Not one Mixed Martial Artist today has been training MMA since he was that young. It's scary to think how good these kids are going to be.

Reactions: limba

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Great video in the OP. Really nice to see 2 young kids that clearly enjoy the training. Sometimes with these young kids that start training so young, you can get the impression that they're not enjoying it and it's being forced on them, but that's not the case with these 2 lads. Why wouldn't they be loving it though? They're being given the chance to train in fantastic facilities with some of the best martial artists in the world, who wouldn't love that? Just hope their passion and enjoyment of training continues, if it does they could be serious talents when they're old enough to compete in MMA officially. Looking forward to seeing where these lads go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts