Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest I've done. Honestly, Abongo impressed the hell out of me the first time I saw him fight, and I look forward to being in the press section when he returns to the cage.

IronMan @ MMAOpinion said:

Those who talk to me about prospects know that there are a few prospects I really feel strongly about. There are a few guys I keep my eye on and write about periodically as they compete in bigger events.

One of those guys, perhaps foremost among them, is a fighter who I expected to lose the first time I saw him step in the cage. He was fighting a prominent heavyweight prospect who has, since, entered the top ten. But even when he stepped into the cage as an underdog and lost, he impressed me. Here was a short, stocky, former football player who was bringing a vicious high kick that almost took the head off of an enormous true heavyweight.

When I heard that Ron “Abongo” Humphrey (6-1 MMA) was dropping down to 205, I was excited. Imagine a fighter built as explosive as Sokoudjou or a young Kevin Randleman who can (and does) throw a high kick like Marius Zaromskis. It’s the stuff great fights (and great highlight reels) are made of.
Click here for the rest.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Abongo is a killer...

Dude has a chin made of steel and is very agressive...

I can't wait to see his return..

I can't see any under the radar challengers on the SF roster challenging him..

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see any under the radar challengers on the SF roster challenging him..
If he stayed at heavyweight, I think Lavar Johnson or Shane Del Rosario would've been interesting fights.

That said, I think at 205 it's gonna be hard to stop a dude that powerful. I'm not sure how much mass he lost, but the dude was wicked strong before, and if he's maintained most of that power, he's going to be hard to handle.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
If he stayed at heavyweight, I think Lavar Johnson or Shane Del Rosario would've been interesting fights.

That said, I think at 205 it's gonna be hard to stop a dude that powerful. I'm not sure how much mass he lost, but the dude was wicked strong before, and if he's maintained most of that power, he's going to be hard to handle.
Give him Sokky or Babalu.

That will answer every question.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give him Sokky or Babalu.

That will answer every question.
Him vs. Sokky would be awesome. No way it gets out of the first round.

Honestly, I think he'd kill Babalu. Babalu's standup has been so bad lately, it's hard to see him making it out of the first round.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Him vs. Sokky would be awesome. No way it gets out of the first round.

Honestly, I think he'd kill Babalu. Babalu's standup has been so bad lately, it's hard to see him making it out of the first round.
I don't see Babalu finishing him thats for sure. You could run this guy over with a Mac truck and he'd scramble and throw a roundhouse kick.

I couldn't beleive the shots he was taking from Rogers and he was still coming.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see Babalu finishing him thats for sure. You could run this guy over with a Mac truck and he'd scramble and throw a roundhouse kick.

I couldn't beleive the shots he was taking from Rogers and he was still coming.
There was a moment in the fight (I think in the first round, but I'd have to watch the video again) where Brett ate a head kick and decided he had to clinch with Abongo. That's the moment I knew this guy was serious.

He's going to be a force at 205. Hopefully they can find him some great fights.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
There was a moment in the fight (I think in the first round, but I'd have to watch the video again) where Brett ate a head kick and decided he had to clinch with Abongo. That's the moment I knew this guy was serious.

He's going to be a force at 205. Hopefully they can find him some great fights.
Feijao, Mo, and Mousasi are at 205.

Hendo could be if he feels up to it...

Sokky, Whitehead, and Mike Kyle are there... for a warm up...

I think it has some great potential for a a couple of compelling matchups..

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feijao, Mo, and Mousasi are at 205.

Hendo could be if he feels up to it...

Sokky, Whitehead, and Mike Kyle are there... for a warm up...

I think it has some great potential for a a couple of compelling matchups..
Also, Antwain Britt, who's rumored as the next opponent for Feijao.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Abongo made some pretty short work of Mr. Bush... he's ready for a step up.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abongo made some pretty short work of Mr. Bush... he's ready for a step up.
Yeah. George discovered the same thing Brett did: Don't stand with that guy.

Of course, it turns out Abongo has a ground game, which is awesomer.

Also, got me my best pic of the night.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Yeah. George discovered the same thing Brett did: Don't stand with that guy.

Of course, it turns out Abongo has a ground game, which is awesomer.

Also, got me my best pic of the night.
Off the subject but was it just me or did Luke Stewart absolutly come out of nowhere from every agle on the ground against Galvao??

I mean Galvao has a renouned BJJ pedigree and Luke was damn near shutting him down at every corner... and his sweeps were ridiculous...

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Off the subject but was it just me or did Luke Stewart absolutly come out of nowhere from every agle on the ground against Galvao??

I mean Galvao has a renouned BJJ pedigree and Luke was damn near shutting him down at every corner... and his sweeps were ridiculous...
In the first round Galvao was pretty dominant on the mat, but Stewart definitely shook him up with those reversals from side control. That was something I never expected to happen to Galvao.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
In the first round Galvao was pretty dominant on the mat, but Stewart definitely shook him up with those reversals from side control. That was something I never expected to happen to Galvao.
Those reversals were amazing.... even more so because Galvaos BJJ pedigree.

And Galvao not being able to finish Stewart is a great testament to Stewarts ground savvy... his counters on the mat were beautiful... he really impressed me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.