Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Member.
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that more and more fighters are fighting to "entertain" instead of fighting "for themselves and the win"

-----

If you where GSP, would you give Hardy the chance of knocking you out by standing with him or would you give him a 0% chance of knocking you out by taking him down? What's the more logical solution?

When a dominate striker like Anderson Silva fights; nobody shoots him down for not taking the fight to the ground? (Silva is a great stand-up fighter, so obviously that's where he wants the fight to be) (GSP is a dominate wrestler so obviously that's where he wants the fight to be)

After all, there is a lot of people here on this forum who don't know what it's like to be punched or kicked in the face. If you have been, you can vouch for what I'm about to say in that " it is not fun to get hit " Being that it is MMA, if you find a way to defeat your opponents, why would you change anything? It's like the old saying goes: " Why fix something that is not yet broken? "

Until GSP's take downs are " broken " he will continue to dominate fights. You don't have to like it, and you can call it boring; but at the end of the day it's not us in there, it's not are creditability on the line or us risking are chins.

-----

Frank Mir decides to stand with Carwin, and gets his head taken off. The difference between being smart, and being entertaining. Mir could have done what GSP did, take the fight to the ground and look for the submission.(what hes good at) He could have won that fight, but his game plan was just not there. Instead he chooses to stand with Carwin and gets his title shot opportunity crushed.

But, than again nobody cares that Mir won't get his title shot, because we got to see our knock out of the night. Now what was better for Mir to do, go in there with a excellent game plan and take Carwin down, tire him out; and look for the finish. - or - stand with a guy 11-0 who has never been a: taken past the first round and b: all wins have been by KO.

It just seems like more and more fighters are wanting to get that big fight bonus and that huge epic win instead of fighting the smart fight and going to their so called " bread and butter ".

- Sorry if I came off as a little forward guys, just speaking from within'.

:thumb02:

·
Registered
181 Posts
b: all wins have been by KO.:
i think this was just ufc hype.. if u look it up he has 7 by knockouts (including mir) and 5 by submissions

But yes i agree.. bad strategy by mir. but i guess he thought highly of his standup. i guess he should have realized that knocking down carwin wouldnt have been as easy as kongo

·
Banned
689 Posts
gsp is a really talented wrestler but there will always be people who dislike him and question his tactics and the people who question him are people who like fights instead of wrestling matches including me and don't get me wrong i love grappling matches but gsp's performances don't make it into those

i think he is a coward and has the mentallity of boxers these days meaning he is constantly looking at his record and is scared of seeing L on it instead of "truly" testing himself if he wants to be the greatest "mixed martial artist" of all time than he needs to fight like one instead of fighting like a wrestler with poor jits

but it just comes down to what type of person you are if you someone who fought alot growing up than you don't appreciate gsp but i guess if you are someone who has a background in forms of grappling,like you did wrestling or do jits or your just a mixed martial arts fan.

im just never gonna like gsp but i'll always like guys like nick diaz and bj penn who love to scrap and have serious BJJ skills they can beat the guy up on the feet than finish it on the ground and i love their attitudes

bj penn when asked if he needs to stay at LW to prove his legacy: "No, I don't think that at all. I think a fighter has to [stay] true to himself and what his goals and his accomplishments are and what really motivates him. I've been the welterweight champion once, and in a lot of ways, I really wouldn't mind being the welterweight champion again. I think it's just a fun thing to do. I think it's cool, and I think that's what martial arts is about. It's definitely what jiu-jitsu is about. Martial arts is about the small man being able to defeat the bigger man, and that's why we have the love and fascination for martial arts. I know that the UFC is a sport now, and it's taken a lot more seriously in the sporting aspect. That's why we have the rounds and the rules. But there's something deep inside of me that is a martial artist, and it's just awesome."

sure gsp is sticking to his goal but i just don't apprciate the way he is doing it.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
The problem with GSP is that he knows how to win, and sadly that's quite boring to watch. What needs to happen is that GSP should move up to MW, against some bigger guys he'll need to be more diverse in his style, rather then just wrestling. In the long run it'll be better for everyone. If Georges really likes testing himself then he has to realise that no one will really test him at WW.

·
Senior Member.
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gsp is a really talented wrestler but there will always be people who dislike him and question his tactics and the people who question him are people who like fights instead of wrestling matches including me and don't get me wrong i love grappling matches but gsp's performances don't make it into those

i think he is a coward and has the mentallity of boxers these days meaning he is constantly looking at his record and is scared of seeing L on it instead of "truly" testing himself if he wants to be the greatest "mixed martial artist" of all time than he needs to fight like one instead of fighting like a wrestler with poor jits

but it just comes down to what type of person you are if you someone who fought alot growing up than you don't appreciate gsp but i guess if you are someone who has a background in forms of grappling,like you did wrestling or do jits or your just a mixed martial arts fan.

im just never gonna like gsp but i'll always like guys like nick diaz and bj penn who love to scrap and have serious BJJ skills they can beat the guy up on the feet than finish it on the ground and i love their attitudes

bj penn when asked if he needs to stay at LW to prove his legacy: "No, I don't think that at all. I think a fighter has to [stay] true to himself and what his goals and his accomplishments are and what really motivates him. I've been the welterweight champion once, and in a lot of ways, I really wouldn't mind being the welterweight champion again. I think it's just a fun thing to do. I think it's cool, and I think that's what martial arts is about. It's definitely what jiu-jitsu is about. Martial arts is about the small man being able to defeat the bigger man, and that's why we have the love and fascination for martial arts. I know that the UFC is a sport now, and it's taken a lot more seriously in the sporting aspect. That's why we have the rounds and the rules. But there's something deep inside of me that is a martial artist, and it's just awesome."

sure gsp is sticking to his goal but i just don't apprciate the way he is doing it.
That's some strong words right there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You think if Mir wanted the fight on the ground he could snap his fingers and make it so?

You do realize we are talking about a giant of a man in Carwin with a solid wrestling base right? The fight I saw was Mir pushed against the cage getting punched in the head.

I am not sure Mir went out there thinking "right, my gameplan is to get pressed against the cage and catch as many fists as I can with my head"

You are over thinking it mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts