Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like UFC likes using themes to generate interest in the ultimate fighter. (ex. US vs UK)

I am wondering what themes you would like to see?

Some ideas I had were:

Straight-edgers vs Hell-raisers
East coast vs West coast
Strikers vs Grapplers (Maia would be a good grapple coach, IDK about the striker)
Rookies vs Greybeards (I can see Couture as a coach)
Gym vs Gym (Make it two famous ones which UFC stars actually practice at, coaches would be obvious)
Nation vs. Nation (maybe two european nations to geneate interest there)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i was thinking that when they said it was gonna be Kos & GSP for the next one why not US vs Canada?

or for the one after have Shogun vs Rampage/Rashad (although i don't think rampage EVER wants to coach EVER again... he did not enjoy it) and make it US vs Brazil; however the language barrier between the teams may be too much.

are there enough australians to have a US vs AU?

on a less serious note, we could do race wars: blacks, whites, hispanic, japanese... east coast/west coast could be cool. i don't think they would do camp v camp as it would be just a running commercial for those schools for 2 months, and would show favoritism by UFC to 1 or 2 camps and everyone else would call shannanigans. even so, ATT & AKA would be my bets to do, which also makes it east coast/west coast... change the theme song of the show:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I like the idea of the US vs Brazil, but more than that, I think they just need to bring in new foreign talent. Dana has been talking about all these new overseas markets that he wants to expand to; I think a great idea would to bring some emerging talent over here just to get people talking.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Three way team of US vs Brazil vs Japan to settle who puts out the better fighters once and for all. Seriously, it needs to be done >:[

Also, I'm all for East/West, it seems like a solid theme.

Find armed forces vets and make it Marines/Army (would raise a SHITLOAD of awareness).

I also like the Rookies/Greybeards thing (Couture vs Jones!?). Sort of like "The Come back" but half of them are veterans of the sport and the other half are new bloods. That could be interesting for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Women - I don't know if a women's division would work in the UFC but I can see them testing it out for WEC or trying to launch a new organization.

2nd chancers - bring back some LW's and MW's that didn't make the cut or didn't have the skills for a second chance at a contract.

TV guys vs Prelim guys - like second chancers but with guys that were on the show and still under contract and have them take on guys that have only or mostly fought in the prelims. Winner(s) get a title shot.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well because this thread turned into a joke I fiured maybe ill be serious..

How about USA va Brazil? (Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva would be coaches)

Or

North America vs Europe?
Love the first idea, but made slight alteration
I thought maybe U.S AND CANADA vs THE WORLD, with SONNEN AND ANDERSON as coaches, the smack talk here may be one sided, as Anderson can't apparently speak any English, even if Chael thinks otherwise.

Would love to see DAN HARDY coach too at some point, as the guy is so funny also.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There will never be a Zuffa promotion that has women fighting. Dana is against it. I thought that was abundantly clear.
he's not against it.... he just feels that the talent pool is not deep enough a UFC women's division: if you got the cream that would be at the same level as a male UFC fighter, you'd have 6, maybe 7 ladies in the US right now... that doesn't make a division and the matches would start repeating within two years.

he wants to wait until there a deeper GOOD pool, 20+ that will sign, before he makes a whole division.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The USA isn't like Japan where you can have a specific promotion for women, Zuffa probably would have a women's division in the WEC at most!
Bingo! thats where the women will fight actually if women do sign with Dana

as for themed TUF I'd like to see Canada vs UK(they won vs usa) so basically would have a country vs country every so often. So if Canada wins it would be Canada vs Japan next down the line etc . I think that would be a cool idea

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
he's not against it.... he just feels that the talent pool is not deep enough a UFC women's division: if you got the cream that would be at the same level as a male UFC fighter, you'd have 6, maybe 7 ladies in the US right now... that doesn't make a division and the matches would start repeating within two years.

he wants to wait until there a deeper GOOD pool, 20+ that will sign, before he makes a whole division.
Well that is contradictory and Dana knows it so I would tend to lean towards he actually doesn't care for it. Women's MMA isn't growing if female fighters can't get tv exposure or decent pay. The excuse doesn't make sense either since the HW division shouldn't have existed up until a few months ago by that logic.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts