Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well get on the Carwin war wagon now. Were goin all the way. Lesnar is next. There's an old saying Mir should hang on too. "There's no replacement for displacement." Now we are looking at the best matched up heavyweight fight in the UFC probably ever. Two big strong wrestlers, one with better stand up and better chin. Carwin.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
ill give Carwin his props. i may have underestimated him, im sure Frank did.

im not sure where he stands in the division but he definately is higher up then i thought. Still dont know what will happen when Brock shoots in. If Carwin got stop him its over for Brock.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Congrats to Carwin, this from a huge Frank Mir fan.

Carwin has the better standup but his chin and Lesnars are still untested IMO.

Below is where people are gonna bring up the GG punch on Carwin and the flying knee from Mir to Lesnar.

Their chins are still untested as neither has had to weather the storm from any fighter as of yet.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Interestingly, both Brock and Carwin have gotten rocked in recent fights: Brock by way of Mur flying knee and Shane was rocked by Gonzaga standing.

This suggests that Brock vs. Shane could be a very short fight. I'd be extremely surprised if their fight went past the second round.

·
Registered
925 Posts
One interesting thing I noticed tonight was the stat they had on Carwin regarding reach, it was listed at 80" which I believe is the same as Lesnar even thought he has about an inch or two on Carwin in height.

So far Lesanr hasn't faced anyone with the 1 punch KO power Carwin has, its got to make him a bit tenative.
Randy caught him with a good shot if I remember and he didn't seem to like it much.

If Carwin can keep from being taken down I see him rocking Brock. I think they might negate each other in the clinch (even Randy was able to hold his own in the clinch).
Lesnar has by far the superior shot and take down but I've NEVER seen him move laterally, he's like a charging bull, he only goes straight forward.

All Carwin has to do is land an accurate shot and the fight will turn a corner for sure. Insane punching power.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Another first round win by Carwin. I called that he would go for a takedown early to get Mir against the cage and work his striking in close against it. He bullied Mir and proved a lot tonight. I finally remembered to bet some points tonight, and it payed off. July should be interesting.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
when lesnar inevitably ends up on top of carwin, will that be the end?
I think carwin will be able to buck Lesnar off.
say you?

It's very possible. I'd tend to believe that Brock will control Carwin with relative ease, but hey... look at what the much smaller Randy Couture was able to do against Brock via his knowledge of wrestling. Not saying that Carwin has Couture's know-how, but size, with the right amount of wear-with-all could prove detrimental to Brock's game-plan. Still... my prediction? Pain for Shane.

What I do know is that this PPV is going to sell ridiculously big. Dana would be a fool not to make a big deal out of this one. The main event alone is buy-worthy... toss on a few more solid co-main events, and you could be looking at UFC 100 numbers.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
What I do know is that this PPV is going to sell ridiculously big. Dana would be a fool not to make a big deal out of this one. The main event alone is buy-worthy... toss on a few more solid co-main events, and you could be looking at UFC 100 numbers.
I completely agree with you here. This will be DW's next super card where he will try to shatter more PPV records with.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I completely agree with you here. This will be DW's next super card where he will try to shatter more PPV records with.
Tell you what, I'll be showing up at my bar of choice, Picasso's here in Warwick at 7:30 instead of 8-8:30 to get me a table.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lesnar will not control Carwin. You can split atoms all you want. Size, height, weight. It doesn't matter. Shane knows what it's like to wrestling with guys like Brock. Shane is going to be the guy he can't bully in the cage. Shane even said after 100 "Brock won't sit on top of me like that." And he won't. In my opinion the fight with Brock will be easier to train for than the Mir fight. I've been a Carwin fan since before the Gonzaga fight. I'll admit I was nervous about the Mir fight. I'm not a Mir fan at all. But I thought he was on a mission to get to Brock and the fight could last a while. I think Mir was more dangerous for Shane than Lesnar. I also don't think it's going to do Lesnar any favors being off that long with an illness.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Well, if Carwin says Brock won't control him, then it must be true.

And it's crystal clear that the long lay-off will be to Brock's detriment, much like it was to Shane's...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"And it's crystal clear that the long lay-off will be to Brock's detriment, much like it was to Shane's"

After an illness. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I remember reading in UFC magazine Brock saying something along the lines of "never getting rocked" before.

Lets see how long that lasts:thumbsup:

·
"I
6,923 Posts
when lesnar inevitably ends up on top of carwin, will that be the end?
I think carwin will be able to buck Lesnar off.
say you?
I don't think it will happen. I think Lesnar ties him up going for a shot, Carwin has enough strength to actually make him WORK for the TD, Carwin dirty boxes, uppercut and lights out Brock.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
How many times must Brock prove you doubters wrong? You're now doing to him what you claim others were doing to Carwin... and your hero is going to pay the price because of it.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts