Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ifight365.com/2010/04/thiago-alves-eyeing-ufc-114-for-next-bout/?

By now even ‘I only watch Chuck Liddell fight’ fans are aware of the fact that Thiago Alves underwent successful surgery this week in NYC, to correct the irregularity in his brain that punted his scheduled UFC 111 rematch with Jon Fitch (some ‘I only watch Matt Hughes fight’ fans could still be in the wilderness hunting and thus remain unaware). Well, more good news has surfaced this AM as according to a ‘tweet’ from Alves, the punishing fighter has checked out of hospital and is headed back to Florida.

Leaving the hospital going back back to fll! 114 its looking good!!! I’m back soo happy thanks God! And all u guys! Osu!

Crazy. To think last week the MMA world was temporarily concerned about Alves and his future in the sport, and just days later we find out he wants to throw down on May 29th. Who says technological progress is a bad thing?

Now the question that begs to be asked; any chance Fitch could be ready for UFC 114? It probably won’t happen, but the AKA stud didn’t appear to get injured in his dominant UD win over Ben Saunders (although his rep took more hits as he continues to draw fire for not finishing fights- seems like a common theme lately). Fitch clearly wants another crack at St. Pierre, but Dana White isn’t exactly falling over himself to confirm that fight is he?
114 is may 29th. Fitch *could* be ready but I doubt it. If not Fitch then who? Paulo Thiago is pencilled in for 115 against Kampmann which is a pointless match up if you ask my. I say the UFC gets Alves and Thiago together instead. Failing that, he either has to wait or fight Hardy seeing as hes already back in the gym.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Get Dan Hardy straight back in there. He's said himself that he came out of the GSP fight with no injuries, so if he can get a few weeks training he'll be ready considering how prepared he was for the GSP fight. I'd love to see the fight, it'd be a serious test of Dan's striking, and see how much he warranted the UFC hype.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get Dan Hardy straight back in there. He's said himself that he came out of the GSP fight with no injuries, so if he can get a few weeks training he'll be ready considering how prepared he was for the GSP fight. I'd love to see the fight, it'd be a serious test of Dan's striking, and see how much he warranted the UFC hype.
Exactly. Lets get to the crux of the matter and see what hes made of, if anything at all. Anything to stop the hype and give us something tangible to debate. That GSP fight was next to pointless. GSP is simply too much for any of these boys.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yeah exactly. If he gives Alves a good fight, and maybe gets a victory it'll prove all the haters wrong; if he gets destroyed then it proves he was all hype from the UFC, and like Bisping is never going to be a top contender. Hardy-Alves would be a war though. Hardy's got a rock-solid chin, and heavy hands, and it's going to take a big shot from Alves to put him down. Get it sorted Joe Silva!

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm honest tho, I would prefer to see Alves vs Thiago. Hardy has had his turn and needs to go back a few pegs I think. Paulo Thiago deserves his run at the belt now. He should be fighting the contenders not Kampmann for fecks sake..

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I think old Kampers is under-rated thanks to the beating that Daley put on him. He's 3-1 at WW, and 7-2 in the UFC with his only losses coming to Semtex and Marquardt. I think it makes for a good fight. Thiago wins another and he's right into the title picture and a win for Kampmann would get him back in the title picture (he was due to fight Swick for a title shot at 103).

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think old Kampers is under-rated thanks to the beating that Daley put on him. He's 3-1 at WW, and 7-2 in the UFC with his only losses coming to Semtex and Marquardt. I think it makes for a good fight. Thiago wins another and he's right into the title picture and a win for Kampmann would get him back in the title picture (he was due to fight Swick for a title shot at 103).
Kampers ( nice name! ) cant do shit to Paulo. He doesn't hit hard enough and Paulo has a monumental chin and hits way harder than Kampmann. I can see Kampmann outpointing Paulo up until the point he gets gets stopped.

EDIT. Nice call from Leed. Put Kampmann in with Hardy at 115 and move Paulo to 114 to fight Alves. Perfect.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
i say alves-thiago and i think we might see another threat in the WW div if thiago wins which i wouldn't be surprised if that was to be

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Kampers ( nice name! ) cant do shit to Paulo. He doesn't hit hard enough and Paulo has a monumental chin and hits way harder than Kampmann. I can see Kampmann outpointing Paulo up until the point he gets gets stopped.

EDIT. Nice call from Leed. Put Kampmann in with Hardy at 115 and move Paulo to 114 to fight Alves. Perfect.
Yeah, I don't see Kampmann beating Thiago either, but he's not as bad a fighter as Semtex made him look.

In agreement with Leed too. Kampmann-Hardy and Thiago-Alves would be 2 epic fights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts