Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thiago Silva has come close to his division’s belt, but the loss to the former champions Lyoto Machida and Rashad Evans disturbed the plans of the American Top Team’s athlete. Having fought for the last time in January, he wants to get back to a good sequence starting with a win over Tim Boetsch, on UFC 117, which happens on August 7. On an interview to TATAME, Thiago talked about the recovery of his back injury, commented the style of the game of his opponent and analyzed his division, pointing out to Maurício Shogun as the favorite for the duel with Rashad Evans.

TATAME:How are the trainings for your fight on UFC 117 going?

SILVA:The training is good, it’s being very productive, the guys are committed and the expectations are high… The last time I fought was seven month ago, right? It’s time, I’m ready. He’s a good wrestler, a good banger, has a good boxing, but my strategy is settled.

TATAME:You had an injury on your fight with Rashad Evans. Is your recovery done? Are you going to be 100% for this fight?

SILVA:My recovery was good. I found out I had three hernias and it disturbed me a bit because I couldn’t get back to my trainings, I had to stop and take care of myself, but I’m fine now. I did physiotherapy every single day and it became a routine thing for me, but my back is good, I’m training hard, so the expectations are high. I’ll get back at my best.

TATAME:Thiago Pitbull, your team partner, will fight on the same night as you and will face Jon Fitch. How do you think this fight will end like?

SILVA:pitbull is training hard around here. Every day I see how he is committed to it, do it’ll be a good fight…

TATAME:They confronted each other some years ago. What do you thing will be different this time?

SILVA:I believe that Pitbull, nowadays, has a better ground game, his bang is wonderful… The guy is really good while standing. But I think that Pitbull’s differential is that he’s training his ground game, is sharp, more complete, and has been training a lot of Wrestling, so I believe this fight will be different.

TATAME:You are coming from a loss to Rashad, who will probably be the next challenger for the belt. How do you see yourself on the division currently?

SILVA:I see myself as an athlete with a potential to be developed and that, despite the injury, is working hard to compensate it. I don’t choose my opponents, I fight with whoever they tell me to, but I want to fight the bests. From this fight on, I want to fight the tops again.

TATAME:This fight between Rashad and Shogun will probably happen next year. How do you think it will be like?

SILVA:Rashad has a good block-game. He’s using it in every single fight he does… He did it with me, did it with Rampage and I don’t see him doing it differently against Shogun because Shogun is a great guy standing and on the ground too. I’ve trained with him and I believe Rashad doesn’t have tolls to beat him, unless he brings him to the ground and get stuck there, just like he did with me. If Shogun block his takedowns, he wins, for sure.

TATAME:UFC 117 will have six Brazilian vs. American bouts. What do you think the outcome of this duel will be?

SILVA:Well, I’m a Brazilian, right, man? I’ll cheer for my country. I believe it’ll be an awesome night, many Brazilians will be there together and I hope everybody wins.

http://www.tatame.com/2010/07/18/Thiago-Silva

·
Banned
820 Posts
Yea Rashad dose not have the tools to beat him. Again spot on with the thread tittle.
I’ve trained with him and I believe Rashad doesn’t have tolls to beat him, unless he brings him to the ground and get stuck there, just like he did with me--Silva
Will be a good first test for Rua.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Thiago doesn't have the skills to beat any top 5 LHW.
I don't think that is true. Rashad has very good wrestling, he is very fast, and he has decent striking to go along with it. He may not be the best fighter in the division, but I think that he could pick off some top fighters.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Stylistically we have the guy with arguably the best wrestling in the LHW division going against a guy who is known for having bad takedown defense. Also, Rashad is really good at using the cage to his advantage, while Shogun never really had a chance to train with the cage against a top level wrestler.

Shogun is my favorite fighter behind Rashad, but stylistically he's walking into a massacre.

Thiago Silva will return and look great. I really want him to fight Rampage soon. Thiago is a solid LHW with some of the best power in the division, not to mention he has excellent sweeps and is no slouch anywhere. I see him going on another tear through the division on his way to another title shot.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
nice read, i also think shogun is going to be in some serious trouble if he cant stuff rashad, but rashads wrestling is amazing and i dont think any LHW can stop his takedowns...except for maybe A.silva

though shogun is one of the best off his back and rashad seems to have difficulties keeping the fight on the ground, his TDs are awesome but his control still isnt top notch...this will probably be the deciding factor.

on a side note, i hate how brazilians are so biased, i am brazilian but man, we always root for the brazilian guy even if we dont know who he is, MMA still isnt that big here, so most fans just cheer for ''the brazilian dude'' why not root for some1 based on their skill?

also the commentating here is terrible on PPVs, if the brazilian guy starts losing they start saying how the fight sucks and is boring, its ridiculous, and theres just so much crap they dont understand, sometimes i just download the ppv the next day so i can watch it with joe rogan

ok, sorry for off topic, but when he said ''well i am brazilian right?'' just pissed me off........:thumb02:

·
Registered
669 Posts
How i see the fight going: Rashad will take Shogun down at will, but he will not be able to control at all! Rashad will try and stand and bang with Shogun and realise it isn't a good idea, so he will go back to laying on him.
Shogun by sub or being too much for Rashad standing! Second round.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Thiago Silva will return and look great. I really want him to fight Rampage soon. Thiago is a solid LHW with some of the best power in the division, not to mention he has excellent sweeps and is no slouch anywhere. I see him going on another tear through the division on his way to another title shot.
Another title shot? When did he ever have a title shot?

On another tear through the division? Yea a tear through Jardine and cut-able fighters...sure.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Stylistically we have the guy with arguably the best wrestling in the LHW division going against a guy who is known for having bad takedown defense. Also, Rashad is really good at using the cage to his advantage, while Shogun never really had a chance to train with the cage against a top level wrestler.

Shogun is my favorite fighter behind Rashad, but stylistically he's walking into a massacre.

Randy, Coleman and Bader would disagree.
Shogun is very slick on the ground and I don't see Rashad controlling him there for one bit when (yes, sadly it'll happen) he gets the takedown.
Also I don't like to use mma math to support my case, but
you all saw how badly Machida tooled Rashad standing? Then how Machida did against Shogun? Rashad will be in huge trouble standing and unless he rocks Shogun like he did vs. Forrest, I don't see him being able to finish Shogun on the ground.
What is the official word anyway? Rashad is getting the next shot? Or is he fighting Randy for it after Randy beats Toney? I haven't paid much attention...

Anyway, have to disagree with Silva. Rashad does have the tools for it, but it'll require a below average performance by Shogun for those tools to work.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Did anyone else catch this?

SILVA:I believe that Pitbull, nowadays, has a better ground game, his bang is wonderful.
Sometimes I love a bad translation :laugh:

If Rashad is dumb enough to stand with Rua than Thiago is right. On the ground is where it will be interesting. I hope Rua trains to get back to his feet and/or how to stall the ground game so it gets stood up.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Another title shot? When did he ever have a title shot?

On another tear through the division? Yea a tear through Jardine and cut-able fighters...sure.
Lol I did say another title shot huh? I meant to a title shot, I think he can make it there.

Randy, Coleman and Bader would disagree.
Shogun is very slick on the ground and I don't see Rashad controlling him there for one bit when (yes, sadly it'll happen) he gets the takedown.
Also I don't like to use mma math to support my case, but
you all saw how badly Machida tooled Rashad standing? Then how Machida did against Shogun? Rashad will be in huge trouble standing and unless he rocks Shogun like he did vs. Forrest, I don't see him being able to finish Shogun on the ground.
What is the official word anyway? Rashad is getting the next shot? Or is he fighting Randy for it after Randy beats Toney? I haven't paid much attention...

Anyway, have to disagree with Silva. Rashad does have the tools for it, but it'll require a below average performance by Shogun for those tools to work.
Randy? Coleman? I'm talking best wrestling currently, not of all time. And yes, IMO Rashad has better wrestling than Bader.

Rashad shouldn't have a strategy to keep Shogun down, but to wear him out against the cage. What some people call cage n stall, he needs to push Shogun against the clinch, nullifying his muay thai and putting him somewhere uncomfortable.

Shogun can't submit Rashad, and it's kinda sad seeing how many people think Rashad has any chance of getting submitted. Shogun is great at submission attempts, but he rarely uses them to actually fights, it's not his style. I remember a few omaplata attempts he did where he could have easily cranked the arm and got a win, but he uses it to reverse.

As for the whole Machida beat Rashad standing and Shogun beat Machida standing, MMA math doesn't work here at all. We have 3 distinct striking styles.

Machida is Karate with moderate power.
Shogun is Muay Thai with some very good power.
Rashad is boxing with SOMETIMES amazing power, otherwise he has moderate power as well.

Just because Karate beat boxing and muay thai beat karate, it doesn't automatically mean that muay thai counters boxing. One thing that smart boxers who train in MMA for is kicking specifically. Muay Thai has a lot of strikes that are within range of boxers counters, while Karate tends to stay way outside of that range. Not to mention that Shogun will be afraid of any clinch situation because Rashad will just bulldoze him into the fence.

BTW, Rashad has the next title shot, it's been confirmed.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Lol I did say another title shot huh? I meant to a title shot, I think he can make it there.

Randy? Coleman? I'm talking best wrestling currently, not of all time. And yes, IMO Rashad has better wrestling than Bader.

Rashad shouldn't have a strategy to keep Shogun down, but to wear him out against the cage. What some people call cage n stall, he needs to push Shogun against the clinch, nullifying his muay thai and putting him somewhere uncomfortable.

Shogun can't submit Rashad, and it's kinda sad seeing how many people think Rashad has any chance of getting submitted. Shogun is great at submission attempts, but he rarely uses them to actually fights, it's not his style. I remember a few omaplata attempts he did where he could have easily cranked the arm and got a win, but he uses it to reverse.

As for the whole Machida beat Rashad standing and Shogun beat Machida standing, MMA math doesn't work here at all. We have 3 distinct striking styles.

Machida is Karate with moderate power.
Shogun is Muay Thai with some very good power.
Rashad is boxing with SOMETIMES amazing power, otherwise he has moderate power as well.

Just because Karate beat boxing and muay thai beat karate, it doesn't automatically mean that muay thai counters boxing. One thing that smart boxers who train in MMA for is kicking specifically. Muay Thai has a lot of strikes that are within range of boxers counters, while Karate tends to stay way outside of that range. Not to mention that Shogun will be afraid of any clinch situation because Rashad will just bulldoze him into the fence.

BTW, Rashad has the next title shot, it's been confirmed.
Isn't it amazing how little credit Rashad gets? He beat Rampage, T. Silva, Griffin, Liddel, Bonnar, and yet still everyone thinks he has no chance. The only time he was hurt in the Rampage fight was when he slammed his head into Rampage's knee and then took a right to the jaw not even a second after. Thiago barely had anything to bring to the table against Rashad and blames his loss on back problems.

I can not wait for this fight and if Thiago ever makes it back up into contender status I will happily watch Rashad beat him again.

Rashad may not have the tools to finish Shogun, but if he plays it smart he can gass him and have Shogun give up. I think Shogun will give up his back again and Rashad will GnP TKO or RNC.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rashad may not have the tools to finish Shogun, but if he plays it smart he can gass him and have Shogun give up. I think Shogun will give up his back again and Rashad will GnP TKO or RNC.
shogun NEVER gives up. he kept coming forward when he was gassed against griffin and coleman. rashad can obviously win but his cardio isn't the best, so i don't really think he can use his wrestling enough in the later rounds to win a decision.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Shogun will have too much power for Rashad to handle. Evans has been hurt in his last two fights and was brutally knocked out against Machida.

If Evans takes him down, Shogun will get back up fairly quickly and attack with kicks, knees and punches.

Shogun will win.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
You guys are forgetting a lot!

Okay, now maybe if the shogun that fought machida were the one that fought rashad, almost certainly shogun would knock rashad out at some point or hurt him and sub him.

But! It is not going to be the same shogun. Injuries are a bitch, and we've seen what the exact same injury has done to shoguns performances in the past (IE coleman and griffin). I'd say that its going to be a mix of the shogun that fought machida and the shogun that fought coleman/griffin. So because of that it makes it more interesting imo.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
The way I see it Rashad will be able to take down Shogun pretty early on, the big question is wether he can keep him there? I personally don't think so... The way I see this is, if it goes to a descision Rashad takes it, any other way Shogun baby! :)

·
Administrator
15,546 Posts
It's a seriously tough fight and many are overlooking Rashad.

Shogun has been taken down in every single fight he's been in since coming to the UFC, and Rashad has some really good wrestling, and without a doubt can and will take it to the ground. Can he keep Shogun there? That's really hard to say, but to say he plain out can't, would be ridiculous. Shogun will probably get up a few times, but who says it'll stay standing any longer than 20 seconds for Rashad to drag him back down? Shogun is not known for subbing guys, in fact, he has more submission losses than he has submission victories.

Also, Rashad is very fast and has really good head movement, he doesn't rely on kicks or distance nearly as much as Machida, so most of Shogun's striks will be in Rashad's comfort range. It's a whole different striking battle, style wise.

I honestly cannot say who is going to win, cause it's a very good fight stlye wise for Rashad, and who knows how Shogun is going to look after his injury. However, Shogun is an animal and if he shows up 100%, it'll be a very, very hard fight for Rashad as well.

It's up in the air for me.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts