Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fighters.com/11/13/mma-gospel-brock-lesnar-and-the-top-four-ufc-heavyweights-fedor-emelianenko-is-ducking-in-strikeforce

Article Posted: November 13th, 2009 | By: Josh Turner

Fedor the great? So, let’s talk about the hype machine that is Fighters.com Heavyweight Champion “Last Emperor” Fedor Emelianenko (31-1) and the better UFC heavyweights Fedor is ducking Strikeforce.

Is he the greatest MMA fighter ever? No.

Has he faced and beaten the best in the game? No.

Fedor is a great fighter, and has faced and defeated some great fighters. He is not the greatest fighter in MMA history. To be the greatest ever, you have to seek out the greats and take them out, over and over. Fedor has faced “Cro Cop” Mirko Filipovic’s (23-6-2) and fourth-ranked “Minotauro” Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1) in what most believe were their primes. Fedor has faced fighters larger than himself, such as “Techno Goliath” Hong Man Choi (1-1), and quicker fighters, like tenth-ranked “Pitbull” Andrei Arlovski (14-7), and he has always found a way to defeat them.

Each one of the fighters that Fedor has faced and defeated have been defeated by other fighters just the same, and yet those victorious fighters aren’t touted as the greatest ever. Fedor has not faced the super athletes of today and proven that he can keep up with the evolution of the sport. Fedor had the opportunity to face the greatest fighters in the world by signing with the UFC, and opted not to. Fedor isn’t building his legacy as the greatest mixed martial artist to ever live; he is building a winning career. Much like professional boxers and their promoters, Fedor isn’t seeking out the toughest opponents. He is letting his handlers feed him fighters and taking fights he has better odds at winning.

The UFC has always been criticized that they do not have a strong heavyweight class, and until now it’s been true. With fighters entering the Octagon like second-ranked, UFC champ Brock Lesnar (4-1), sixth-ranked Shane Carwin (9-0), Cain Velasquez (6-0), and up-and-comer Todd Duffee (5-0), the tables are turning and now the UFC touts a heavyweight class rivaled by few.

Fedor knew what he was doing by signing with Strikeforce. He was cementing his legacy and ensuring no defeat. If Fedor was worried about being the best fighter in history, he would seek out the top challenges and test his mettle. The UFC has at least three fighters that could easily pick Emelianenko apart.

Big, bad, Brock Lesnar not only has the power to take Fedor down, but has the sheer size needed to nullify Fedor’s wrestling and submission game. Although it would probably turn into another Lesnar lay-and-pray special, Brock would defeat the considerably smaller Fedor. Brock is one of those freak athletes that doesn’t come around often, but when they do make a huge statement. My prediction on that fight would be Lesnar by TKO late in the second if it made it that far.

UFC top heavy weight contender Shane Carwin could possibly pose the largest knock out threat. Fedor has taken some shots before, but nothing like what Carwin can bring. Shane has a strong wrestling background, and would be able to fend off any Fedor takedown attempts. Carwin’s size and strength, along with his flexibility would be able to stuff any submission attempts. Carwin, just like Lesnar, is a freakishly huge, explosive, powerful fighter that is part of the new class of heavyweight; a class that Fedor has no answer for. My call on that fight: Carwin by KO/TKO in the third.

This is probably the pick that will be the one that creates the largest stir. Cain Velasquez, in all of his underestimated power and aggressive hunger, would be too much to Fedor to fend off. Cain is young, explosive, hungry and ridiculously strong all wrapped up in an unassuming middle of the road looking package. Cain doesn’t have the larger-than-life frame like Carwin or Lesnar, but I think we can all agree that he is strong and only getting stronger. Cain’s wrestling would top Fedor, and probably prove too much for Fedor to handle. Cain’s ability to stay on top, and impose his will would prove too much for Fedor resulting in what I’d call a three-round unanimous decision. Cain is someone to keep an eye on, if he isn’t on your radar yet.

Still think Fedor is unbeatable? How about the up and coming heavyweight class like Greg Jackson’s The Ultimate Fighter alum and favorite to win this season’s TUF, Brendan Schaub (3-0)? How about the current knock out record holder Todd Duffee? Strikeforce heavyweight champion “Demolition Man” Alistair Overeem (29-10) is so sure that he would defeat Fedor that he isn’t even concerned with fighting him. If your argument here is experience, then why was Fedor’s defeat of Brett Rogers, who less than a year ago was changing tires at his local Sam’s Club, anything to buzz about?

Fedor is a great fighter, fighting mediocre fighters in an attempt to maintain his hype and sell his name. Fedor isn’t going to seek out great challenges and fight the best. Fedor isn’t going to accept any deal the UFC offers. Fedor is going to continue to fight who he can beat, and take those victories all the way to the bank. Fedor is not the greatest fighter ever. He is a great fighter that knows his time and pay checks are limited and doesn’t want to lose his money making appeal. So for now, I’ll agree to call Fedor the greatest MMA fighter that never was.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i would say he was the greatest HW of an era and could be of this, but doesnt want to prove it for w/e reasons ppl seem to justify, fact is IN EVERY SPORT the greats seek out the best, always. Esp if he is so finicially secure (i saw that show about him he looks comfortable but not superstar athlete comfortable, hell not even Brock Lesnar comfortable) the only thing left would be the fight anybody ppl consider the best now and most are in the UFC, he is cheating his fans of this and the funniest part i find about it is... his fans seem to appreciate it LOL must be nice

·
Registered
330 Posts
there are a million posts debunking this all over the forum; when are mods going to start closing these copycat threads?

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Strikeforce heavyweight champion “Demolition Man” Alistair Overeem (29-10) is so sure that he would defeat Fedor that he isn’t even concerned with fighting him.
LOL. That or he is afraid of being tested in the US, he's "grown" a lot since his last US fight and strangely has been coming up with excuses to cancel his US (tested) fights while fighting abroad in no-test regions and even in other sports. We're talking about a fighter that got finished by TONS of people including Shogun, Liddell, Arona, Nog, Kharitonov, among others (and some of those others, total cans). I agree he looks like a beast today, but this author (lol) is a total moron if he thinks Alistair "is so sure that he would defeat Fedor that he isn’t even concerned with fighting him". That is the latest and dumbest excuse I've ever heard for Alistair not defending his Strikeforce title.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Biggest troll article eva...

·
Registered
162 Posts
This author think ghosts exist

http://ghosts-hauntings.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_ghosts_exist

This guy defends Lance Armstrong

http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/editordetail.php?id=437

patton will beat pacquiao
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/04/hatton-will-beat-pacquiao-with-intelligence/

Irvin beating Anderson Silva (post #19)

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic21974-2.html

I could probably bring up lots of more ludicrous statemens heard around papers and internet, but yea, people are wicked wicked :D

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
Did he really state a TUF fighter as one of the ones that Fedor is scared of, or should be worried about?

Each one of the fighters that Fedor has faced and defeated have been defeated by other fighters just the same, and yet those victorious fighters aren’t touted as the greatest ever.
I guess he fails to realize that other people have beaten the guys Fedor has, however, these other fighters have also lost to same level competiton, multiple times, where as Fedor has continued to beat high level competition and not lose.

Funny article, more of a joke than anything.

·
Banned
525 Posts
I don't think it's Fedor who is scared so much, as to M1. Fedor is M1s cash cow. If he was to sign in the UFC and lose, as they suspect he would, Fedor would lose the reputation of dominance. Think of Crocop, for a long time he was a very dominant heavyweight. Easily top 5 until he went 2 and 3, with both of his wins coming over clearly not top 10 UFC fighters and being dominated in all 3 losses. I love Fedor, but I fear, like M1 does, that his UFC career would be eeringly similar to that of Crocop. I think Fedor is awesome, but he's doesnt deserve to mentioned in the same breath as Anderson Silva or GSP as far as number one P4P in the world, until he fights in the UFC. Face it, the UFC is the big leagues, the absolute best in the world are there. Until Fedor fights in the UFC and wins the title there, he's not even in the same league as the worlds best P4P.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The only way for Fedor to prove his current #1 status is to defeat the current UFC champion, but nobody is going to organize that.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Oh man, I really want to see this fight now....if on ly for the reason to shut the ******* Fedor haters up. He's fought bigger dudes and better wrestlers (not at the same time) but seriously....it's ******* Fedor. Lesnar will lose way before the fight is even planned. I know it may not happen, but I really hope it does. I'm glad I could add so much to this thread. :D

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
i would say he was the greatest HW of an era and could be of this, but doesnt want to prove it for w/e reasons ppl seem to justify, fact is IN EVERY SPORT the greats seek out the best, always. Esp if he is so finicially secure (i saw that show about him he looks comfortable but not superstar athlete comfortable, hell not even Brock Lesnar comfortable) the only thing left would be the fight anybody ppl consider the best now and most are in the UFC, he is cheating his fans of this and the funniest part i find about it is... his fans seem to appreciate it LOL must be nice
The more i read your posts the more I start thinking you're Dana White. :confused02:

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
The only way for Fedor to prove his current #1 status is to defeat the current UFC champion, but nobody is going to organize that.
Why does he need to beat the current UFC champion to be the best HW in the world?

Why exactly does a 31-1-0 fighter, who has been considered the best HW in the world for the last seven or so years, who has beaten Rogers (top 10, borderline top 5), Arlovski (#2-4 at the time), and Sylvia (#4 at the time) in his last 3 fights, and has been undefeated for almost a decade, have to beat a guy with a 4-1 record, and only two of those wins have been over top 10 guys, to be proven the #1 HW in the world?

Where is the logic in that?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think it's Fedor who is scared so much, as to M1. Fedor is M1s cash cow. If he was to sign in the UFC and lose, as they suspect he would, Fedor would lose the reputation of dominance. Think of Crocop, for a long time he was a very dominant heavyweight. Easily top 5 until he went 2 and 3, with both of his wins coming over clearly not top 10 UFC fighters and being dominated in all 3 losses. I love Fedor, but I fear, like M1 does, that his UFC career would be eeringly similar to that of Crocop. I think Fedor is awesome, but he's doesnt deserve to mentioned in the same breath as Anderson Silva or GSP as far as number one P4P in the world, until he fights in the UFC. Face it, the UFC is the big leagues, the absolute best in the world are there. Until Fedor fights in the UFC and wins the title there, he's not even in the same league as the worlds best P4P.
Fedor is so much more dynamic than CroCop. Mirko found that he was going against bigger guys and he didn't throw his legs in either the Gonzaga or Kongo fights??? How does Fedor deserve this comparison?? Fedor took Rogers down, he transitioned from a single leg to a trip. Fedor can punch, take down, take down defense, and can take a punch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know why people are saying that Fedor and/or his management are scared. Who the hell is he ducking? Velasquez? Kongo? Mir? Carwin? The only reason the UFC HW division is considered the best is because of hype. Who has Velasquez beat? Kongo and Rothwell are not even in the top ten of any list. Who has Carwin beat? He got a lucky KO victory over Gonzaga who would get Gnp'd by Fedor. As far as Mir goes, he is in the same boat as Nog. Mir has good submissions but Fedor has better submission defense than anyone right now in the HW division.

I'd say that Overeem is just as good and worthy an opponent as any of the above fighters. Throw in Rogers. Even though Rogers KO'd only one fighter, I'd rank with Carwin since these guys have only beat one opponent with a name. As far as Cain goes, Rogers has more experience than him too, which is funny since everyone throws him in as an interesting opponent. If Rogers had a punchers chances, Cain would have a pillow-hand's chance of beating Fedor.

The only fight I want to see is Lesnar-Fedor. Not because I think this is an even match but because it would help take the sport to a level boxing was back in the 60s and 70s. Also, Lesnar knows better than anyone on how to use his size to nullify any submissions from the bottom. That said, Lesnar will probably be KTFO'd since Fedor would find a way to get up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
to be considered the best, you have to continue to fight the best. i understand that he beat some great fighters in the past but that was in the past. how long can his reputation live off wins from 4-5 years ago? he has beaten some of the greats but can he still do it? only way to know is if he actually fights lesnar, mir, and cain. you fedor lovers can sit here and think about the good ole days of years past but i'm more interested in what he can do here and now. either he comes to the ufc or he's just punk looking to pad his record against b level competition.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts