Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer the smack talk.

Over a world where we lack the right to speak truth or say how we feel about things.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
What ticks me off too, is that Masvidal Kabib and others do the same thing. They confront people backstage and assault, actually physically assault them, but then flip out if people say hurtful things to them. Sorry, I just don't feel sorry for them.

·
The Title Guy
18,260 Posts
There's a difference between virtue signaling, smack talking and insulting someone's kids. Virtue signaling is stupid, smack talking is just something that someone does going up to a fight, and insulting someone's kids is just out of bounds.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
There's a difference between virtue signaling, smack talking and insulting someone's kids. Virtue signaling is stupid, smack talking is just something that someone does going up to a fight, and insulting someone's kids is just out of bounds.
So, I was looking at the argument, and I didn't see a direct insult at Masvidal's kids per se. Can you say what Colby actually said to insult the child?

Masvidal accused Colby of stiffing a trainer. Then Colby accused Masvidal of stiffing his wife on rent, and being a sh***** father. That seems tit for tat, to me. It's not an insult to his wife and kids, but an insult to him.

So, why is this considered out of bounds and a justification for assault in a public restaurant?

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
This always turned me off of MMA, when smack talk got too personal and family got dragged into it.

Conor killed MMA for me. I know that probably makes me "too sensitive" and "obviously you don't understand self-promotion", but I prefer my fighting to be based on mutual respect.

A little smack talk is fine, but know where the line is.

·
The Title Guy
18,260 Posts
And of course Conor is one who can give it but can't take it in that he's very sensitive when it comes to anyone talking about his family. Yeah he will insult other people's family, religion, etc etc. but when someone throws it back at him he gets all upset like there's some rule that was broken. Of course he broke it first.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This always turned me off of MMA, when smack talk got too personal and family got dragged into it.

Conor killed MMA for me. I know that probably makes me "too sensitive" and "obviously you don't understand self-promotion", but I prefer my fighting to be based on mutual respect.

A little smack talk is fine, but know where the line is.

The GSPs and Floyds who treat opponents with respect.

Appear to have less drama, reduced stress and fewer of the catastrophic meltdowns.

That big talkers in the fight business enjoy.

There is a price to pay in terms of greater stress and drama for those who cross the line IMO.

It might be effective in some cases, but it can also backfire and put added bad vibes and pressure to perform.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
And of course Conor is one who can give it but can't take it in that he's very sensitive when it comes to anyone talking about his family. Yeah he will insult other people's family, religion, etc etc. but when someone throws it back at him he gets all upset like there's some rule that was broken. Of course he broke it first.
Oh come on! Conor lead a huge crowd in a chant "F the Mayweathers" right in front of the Mayweather family. Give me a break. Fighters have been getting personal like this from the beginning.

One of the main advantages Roberto Duran created in his first fight with Leonard was insulting Leonard's wife soon before the fight. Leonard said that probably made the difference in the first fight.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
This video I think nails it best.

Those of you condemning Colby and defending Masvidal should check it out. He doesn't have a moral leg to stand on. He wasn't defending the honor of his kids or his ex-wife. Calling someone a deadbeat dad is an attack on the kids. And being a cheap-shot artist isn't a part of any supposed man-code.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts