Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night got me thinking as I watched Tyson Griffin's face plant on the ground, lying there motionless, arms completely limp...then afterwards got up and was bitching about the stoppage while continuously stumbling around as if he still didn't have feeling in his legs...and I thought to myself I am sick and tired of this shit. Also, it didn't help Tyson that he refused to even acknowledge Gomi as Gomi tried to show him respect but he kept pacing around the ring as if he got robbed of the victory. I don't mind a lot of "classless" acts, but this is just absolutely ridiculous.

Listen, sometimes refs make bad calls, however, I am just tired of seeing basically every single event where a guy complains about this and that directly after the fight. Frank Trigg was welcomed back into the UFC for 2 fights...both of which he complained and bitched about directing after the ref stopped the fight after a CLEAR indication that the fight should have been stopped.

I understand there are a lot of emotions going on and these guys hate to lose, but this is just out of hand. I think the UFC, or any MMA organization, should take money out of any fighters nightly salary if they protest after the fight, ESPECIALLY if a fighter clearly unconscious and incapable of continuing the fight. I don't care if the stoppage was just or high way robbery. I don't care if homeboy blogs about it afterwards, says something in an interview (ala James McSweeney, another toolbag) but to get in a refs face and question a completely justified stoppage...fined.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I agree, a lot of classless things don't really bother me either but this kind of thing really does. Griffin was out and there wasn't anything wrong with the stoppage. The dude couldn't even stand up without stumbling around when he started complaining. I understand being upset that you lost, but to not even acknowledge your opponent when he comes over to you after the fight is stupid.

There are a lot of stoppages that are questionable but last nights Gomi - Griffen fight wasn't even remotely questionable. There seems to be a trend developing in MMA lately where every stoppage gets questioned whether or not it was bad or good.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Yeah Tyson lost me as a fan which i thought would be impossible. If someone asked me how i could lose this much respect for Tyson i would had said thats its impossible but somehow he managed it. Gomi was a class act and Tyson acted like a 5 year old girl throwing a temper tantrum. Look at Vladimir Matyushenko You could have "POTENTIALLY" (IMO there is none btw) made a controversy over the stoppage but he took the high road. He took his loss like a MAN should.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
It seemed likes his limbs were not responding and that the stoppage was the right choise by the ref, but then again, when he got his neck up he had Gomi and the ref on top of him, i guess that´s kind of an hard situation to get up from.
Anyway, the ref stopped it before we´ve had a chance of evaluating his reaction, so despiste of me thinking that Gomi had him for sure, we´ll never be certain of that (he did loose his legs when he got up).

Hey refs, this guys fight for their lifes, they don´t mind getting beat in the head for 3 more seconds, but at least give then a chance to react...

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Yeah Griffin was a douche last night.
C.B Dollaway is the worst i've seen, tapping out and then claiming he didn't when it's the clearest thing ever.

The rules clearly say "intelligently defend yourself" If you cant move your arms, thats gonna be pretty hard!

I think last night the punch knocked Tyson clean out then smacking his face on the ground helped him regain conciousness, even though his body was still unresponsive.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Yeah Tyson lost me as a fan which i thought would be impossible. If someone asked me how i could lose this much respect for Tyson i would had said thats its impossible but somehow he managed it. Gomi was a class act and Tyson acted like a 5 year old girl throwing a temper tantrum. Look at Vladimir Matyushenko You could have "POTENTIALLY" (IMO there is none btw) made a controversy over the stoppage but he took the high road. He took his loss like a MAN should.
I thought Tyson was flash KO'ed and didnt really realize it at the time. Not to mention he was probably really foggy when Gomi was trying to come over and give him props.

Vlad was shaking his head no during the announcement of outcome IIRC.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
I thought Tyson was flash KO'ed and didnt really realize it at the time. Not to mention he was probably really foggy when Gomi was trying to come over and give him props.

Vlad was shaking his head no during the announcement of outcome IIRC.
Alot of people Shake their heads when they lose.. to me that just represents disappointment. Vlad didnt protest the stoppage and surely didnt ignore Jones out of anger.. he went and gave him a Hug. Griffin didnt look all that foggy to me stomping around like a litte brat around the octagon.. atleast not soo foggy that he didnt notice Gomi come up to him 3 different times. There is no excuse for Tysons behavior... he needs to learn how to act like a man. Im sure if he WON he would have had no problem being the "Humble nice" guy. Its when you lose that your character gets tested.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Vlad didn't look like the head shaking was in protest...

More along the lines of, "Damn, I just got whooped."

It could've got f'ugly for his face if Herb didn't stop that one.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Or Keith Jardine.. Who protests EVERY stoppage. Even though he gets brutally KO'd in every fight. LAWL.

I agree with you, but keep in mind most of the time these guys are OUT of it. And probably don't consciously realize they are protesting the fight. Instead it is just an instinctual sort of thing.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I could have understand it, if it were some other douchy guy.. but not Gomi!

I mean it was Gomi.. HELLO?? That was a very rare moment for Griffen to actually get a hug from Gomi. Some are waiting there whole life for such a beautiful moment.. or might never get one!^^

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
tyson griffin via twitter

still doesnt change the fact he acted like a douche last night.
Maybe if he said.. "Sorry to all my fans i acted like a total douche last night i apologize." Then i could have looked past it. Tyson you are a douche and im hoping to see you get whooped some more. Please throw a temper tantrum every single time! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Or Keith Jardine.. Who protests EVERY stoppage. Even though he gets brutally KO'd in every fight. LAWL.

I agree with you, but keep in mind most of the time these guys are OUT of it. And probably don't consciously realize they are protesting the fight. Instead it is just an instinctual sort of thing.
Haha. Agreed.

But, Tyson Griffin is my boy.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've seen much worse than Griffin, I'm surprised at the amount of flak he's getting here. He was in the heat of the moment, and upset about getting stopped. He's also never been stopped before, and in pre-fight interviews he seemed pretty confident he was going to have his way with Gomi.

I don't blame him, I'm still a fan.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Agreed. Matyushenko wasn't out or even close to being out, but was just like " Damn, I got my ass kicked" and didn't make a big scene.

Another guy John Howard, also took his loss like a MAN, although he wanted nothing more than to go across the ring and give it a whirl to try to pull that fight out.

The only excuse I can make for Griffin is maybe his judgement was off from being so scrambled, but that's probably just being too nice.

Alot of people Shake their heads when they lose.. to me that just represents disappointment. Vlad didnt protest the stoppage and surely didnt ignore Jones out of anger.. he went and gave him a Hug. Griffin didnt look all that foggy to me stomping around like a litte brat around the octagon.. atleast not soo foggy that he didnt notice Gomi come up to him 3 different times. There is no excuse for Tysons behavior... he needs to learn how to act like a man. Im sure if he WON he would have had no problem being the "Humble nice" guy. Its when you lose that your character gets tested.
Yeah, I mean, even James Irvin was shaking his head during the announcement against Silva and we all know he wasn't protesting that stoppage. LOL.
Instinctual disappointment is fine, but hilariously unjustified temper tantrums really aren't when these guys are supposed to be grown men.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've seen much worse than Griffin, I'm surprised at the amount of flak he's getting here. He was in the heat of the moment, and upset about getting stopped. He's also never been stopped before, and in pre-fight interviews he seemed pretty confident he was going to have his way with Gomi.

I don't blame him, I'm still a fan.
Upset about getting stopped, and upset because he thought it was a bad stoppage..which it wasn't. Then didn't even acknowledge Gomi as he tried to shake his hand and give him respect. Completely classless and complete trash.

Haha, as far as "waiting to see what would have happened"..dude, Tyson was OUT. He face planted to the ground and his arms laid motionless BEFORE Gomi even got on top of him. He was out.

And I believe sideways mentioned it earlier, Vlad's stoppage..could...COULD have been questioned..but he didn't question it. He knew he was in a bad spot, getting planted with elbows, and had no way of getting out. He took his loss like a man and didn't get in the refs face or pace around the octagon like a little bitch 12 year old eliminated from dodgeball.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'll try to understand some fighters when they get emotional, but the problems is some fighters are SO classy they set a standard for other fighters to follow. I've seen guys give their opponents hand shakes while partially KTFO on the mat.

I've also seen guys like Anthony Johnson give respect to their opponent despite being beaten by fouls.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't question he was out at all, the stoppage was completely justified. You make it sound like he went after the ref or something though, it wasn't that big of a deal. He was heated, get over it.

I hope you made a thread like this when Griffin ran out of the octagon after getting KOed by Anderson Silva.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It was a tough loss for Griffin as it was the first time ever he got finished. I agree he was kinda dick'ish for avoiding Gomi, but I can understand he was mad at himself.
I do however agree that Griffin complaining about the stoppage was just silly. When you fall to the ground head first like he did and don't do anything to block the following punches there is nothing to complain about.

I still like Tyson and think he'll have the LW belt one day, but not in the next 3 years.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts