Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Iceman" may want a third crack at him, and rumors of a Forrest Griffin trilogy have also made the rounds, but Tito Ortiz will have a fresh matchup when he next steps inside the octagon.

A source with knowledge of the situation told MMA Fighting that "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" will face Matt Hamill at UFC 121, and UFC President Dana White subsequently confirmed the matchup in a text message.

Ortiz (15-7-1) recently starred in season 11 of The Ultimate Fighter, and was paired off with Chuck Liddell as rival coaches. The season was to end in a third fight between the two until Ortiz pulled out of the bout with a neck injury that required surgery.

Ortiz has not won a fight since Oct. 2006, when he TKO'd Ken Shamrock. Since then, he's 0-3-1, though all four bouts were contested against men who have held the UFC light-heavyweight championship at some point of their careers: Liddell, Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida and Forrest Griffin.

Himself a former 205-pound champ, Ortiz had hoped to get his long-awaited third crack at Liddell, but Liddell suffered a knockout loss at the hands of Rich Franklin at UFC 115, and White vowed never to let Liddell fight again in the octagon.

Hamill (9-2) is the winner of four straight fights in the UFC, most recently earning a majority decision over Keith Jardine last month. In his one previous bout against a former UFC champ, Hamill suffered a third-round TKO at the hands of Franklin. It remains the only time he's been finished in his career.

Though known for his wrestling pedigree as a three-time Division III NCAA wrestling champ, Hamill has often favored a striking-heavy arsenal in recent fights.
SOURCE

good that it's not griffin-ortiz 3 . i like this fight more .
wasn't Ortiz and Hammil was very close at TUF 3 ? wonder how that will play out .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Interesting matchup, both incredibly limited strikers with above average wrestling. I favour Hammill on the feet as Tito is slow as hell these days and Hamill definitely has power. Tito is pretty shot so I see him getting a TD in the first and slowing down afterward, allowing Hamill to sweep the last 10 minutes for a decision victory. This fight could very well hinge on if Tito comes in with a cracked skull, or punctured lung, or flesh eating virus..

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Matt Hammil by sucking slightly less.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
WTF? Tito and Hamill were very close on TUF, and Hamill even went and trained with Team Punishment after TUF3, very surprised that Tito would take this fight. I'm actually hoping for a Tito win in this one. He's entertaining, in a stupid way, and a loss would probably see him released from his contract and we'd not get to hear anymore of his excuses. I actually prefer Tito to Hamill too surprisingly enough, Hamill just rubs me up the wrong way. Tito's a douche, but he's a funny douche, like Sonnen. Hamill's just a douche.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
aww....i would prefer to watch griffin vs ortiz 3

i just dont care about hamill or ortiz, or griffin really but i wanted to see a finish from griffin this time

not nearly as interesting, but im still interested in the ppv buys, lesnar and ortiz should pull some great numbers

1 - 20 of 54 Posts