Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You need a new camp, buddy.

You didn't lose that fight because Carwin was a better fighter than you. You didn't lose because of size. You lost because the gameplan you guys went with was awful.

Carwin and Brock are a lot alike. I really hope you trained exclusively to be pressed against the cage. You had to have known Carwin looked at that brock fight and was going to try and do the same thing.

And you had to know he was going to do it standing too. Carwin likes the feet more.

Bad strategy/planning, sir.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Frank Mir is the HW BJ Penn. Hes a great fighter, he just has bad mental focus for a fighty and has had bad committment issues. Mir needs to fully recognize the holes in his gameplan and work to correct them.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I'm not sure what this might do to Mir on a mental level. We saw how the devastating loss to Brock effected him, and what it pushed him to do. What will this loss result in? Efforts to put on even more weight? A change in training camps? A desire to learn more wrestling? People hate on Frank, and I can agree, it's warranted at times, but one thing the man is is smart. He'll analyze this loss, and rely on it to make adjustments. Over-rated or not, Frank is very good. Very good. And for the most part, very intelligent. He's never been one to let a loss go by without allowing it to change him and how he fights to some degree.

·
Registered
603 Posts

You didn't lose that fight because Carwin was a better fighter than you. You didn't lose because of size. You lost because the gameplan you guys went with was awful.

Carwin and Brock are a lot alike. I really hope you trained exclusively to be pressed against the cage. You had to have known Carwin looked at that brock fight and was going to try and do the same thing.

And you had to know he was going to do it standing too. Carwin likes the feet more.

I'm glad he got ko'd, now just hope Carwin ko's Brock then we won't have an A-hole as UFC heavyweight champ, plus I want to see him and Cain duke it out.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
He lost because you dont fuckn eat punches from Shane Carwin and win the fight. As soon as that first uppercut against the cage hit him. You could tell Mir was like oh f-ck. Carwin just hits too damn hard. Only guy I think that should stand with Carwin is JDS because he has the best boxing out of the HWs but all it takes is one shot from Carwin and your out or in trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
He lost this fight before it even happened, Brock Lesnar killed Mir. Mir will never be the same fighter mentally, he will always hold a grudge against Lesnar, and it ruins his focus against his up coming matches.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
it was fitting he came out to Kanye West.... both egomaniacs and highly overrated....

Amazing indeed... amazing that neither of these guys know how to be humble.

Reactions: cdtcpl

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
IF I was Mir's coach I'd have said this: get close, try and get a clinch and JUMP TO GUARD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wont go out and start bashing Frank Mir and calling him overrated and throw a goofy example like "hes the BJ Penn of the HW division" (How does those two even compare?? they dont)

The original poster was correct saying Frank Mir straight out came in with a terrible gameplan...if a gameplan at all. He, above all people, should know that his weakness is wrestling and being pressed up against the cage and it looks like he did nothing to work on that aspect. Carwin, on the other hand, has a good camp and they worked on his game plan, worked on Mir's weakness and completely capitalized on it.

Mir is a great fighter, but yes, he does need a new camp. Sometimes fighters feel so obligated to stay with their camp that they limit their potential...it only hurts yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Franks camp has nothing to do with this loss.

Frank underestimated the power of Carwin's punches and lost because of it.

Frank just cannot get into the clinch game with guys this big and powerful. He would fair better against the likes of JDS and Cain.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts

My thoughts exactly. I mean, what did he expect from this fight, obviously Shane was gonna try to press him up against the cage. He did it easily and Mir was totally unable to counter. His facial expression tell the story, Carwin was simply to strong and he wanted to give up. Mir seems to have no answer to big, strong wrestlers with heavy hands, and looking at the guys on top of the HW mountain, he is gonna have a hard time getting back up there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm not sure what this might do to Mir on a mental level. We saw how the devastating loss to Brock effected him, and what it pushed him to do. What will this loss result in? Efforts to put on even more weight? A change in training camps? A desire to learn more wrestling? People hate on Frank, and I can agree, it's warranted at times, but one thing the man is is smart. He'll analyze this loss, and rely on it to make adjustments. Over-rated or not, Frank is very good. Very good. And for the most part, very intelligent. He's never been one to let a loss go by without allowing it to change him and how he fights to some degree.
There are many things I would call Mir but intelligent is not one of them! Physical specimen, physically gifted, big and strong, elite level Jiu Jitsu.... smart - no way.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Mir has a really terrible habit of being too relaxed while grappling and seemingly forgetting that the other guy can punch him then not caring about it when it happens. His wrestling is still awful also he needs to find a great wrestling camp and just train that nonstop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad he got ko'd, now just hope Carwin ko's Brock then we won't have an A-hole as UFC heavyweight champ, plus I want to see him and Cain duke it out.

Why all the hate for Brock. Give him some credit, he is the champ after all. He beat couture to get that belt and stopped frank Mir to defend it. With a 4-1 record in MMA its about time Brock stops getting all the hatred towards him. He deserves to be where he is !!!
As for Carwin, no way, Brock will smash him. There is no one who will be able to control Brock Lesnar in the UFC. His wrestling is too supreme. Carwin, Mir, JDS and Valesquez will all be duking it out for years below Lesnar and his long run at the top, mark my words, you will see. Brock is the real deal.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Why are people criticising his wrestling, he stuffed Carwin's take down attempt didn't he?

Mir lost because he thought it was ok to clinch with Carwin and dirty box against the cage. Quite stupid really, he needed to stay elusive and if against the cage do everything in his power to get out and away, not stand there waiting for the ref to help him while eating shots.

Carwin is a monster though, the fact fighters can't stay close to him is a scary thing for anyone he faces.

·
Banned
689 Posts
frank has a seriously low fight-IQ in the second brock fight he thought that brock was gonna go crazy on the ground like in the first fight completely ignoring the herring/couture fights and in this fight he kept closing in on carwin instead of getting in and out

and people frank does not need a new camp he needs a new brain, he can't see anything past brock or himself

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I mean, what did he expect from this fight, obviously Shane was gonna try to press him up against the cage. He did it easily and Mir was totally unable to counter. His facial expression tell the story, Carwin was simply to strong and he wanted to give up. Mir seems to have no answer to big, strong wrestlers with heavy hands, and looking at the guys on top of the HW mountain, he is gonna have a hard time getting back up there.
Mir has all the potential and talent to do so, he just needs the proper training staff and mental focus. He definitely needs to work on his wrestling ability. Great BJJ isn't enough to stop a solid wrestler, if so GSP would have been toast against Penn. Mir has heavy hands as well, he needs to create the opportunities to use them. And he needs to work on controlling his opponent. Can you imagine Mir with good wrestling skills? He'd be ******* lethal. I've not given up on him yet, it seems as though hes still finding himself as a fighter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts