Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspect or just a case of landing on the button? It didn't look like that hard of a shot, but did connect flush on the jaw.

When you consider guys like Velasquez can take worse than that and recover straight away, how will Duffee cope in such a hard hitting division?

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
He has definitely got a glass jaw, i dont even think its disputable after that.

His defense actually looked very good throughout the fight until that KO. Great movement, i think he injured his right hand and then in the last round he just got real sloppy. Needs to keep those hands up all the time.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
wtf? russow wins the "making something out of nothing" award for that win. he was getting worked but amazingly was able to avoid quite a bit of the shots. I think dufee was getting tired at that point and it was more a lucky shot than anything. duffee can still do things in the ufc but he might want to work on that striking defense so that a guy that should lose doesn't pull something out of his a**.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Had that punch landed in the first round i dont think it would have knocked him out. I think Duffee was gassed which played a part.

I certainly think Duffee is over hyped though. The likes of Valezquez and JDS would murder him

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
A combination of being gassed and a powerful punch that left his head and jaw no room to wiplash/absorb energy.

Its been said before that all it takes for a heavyweight to knock someone out is one punch.. but jesus christ Russow can take a beating like a man.

There are also just some guys who have plain have iron jaws like Russow, Cote or Cabbage.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Honestly, I think the biggest factor with that KO was that it was very unexpected...Russow did absolutely nothing all fight, then out of no where he hits an incredibly accurate hook directly on Duffee's Chin.

Duffee was pretty tired also...it's much easier to take a nap if you're tired. ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have to say that by HW standards this looks suspect.

Obviously Russow landed a bit of a Hail Mary, but Russow is the furthest thing imaginable from a power puncher. He only had 2 KO's in 15 fights before that, and none in the UFC. If a guy like that can lay you out flat with one punch, how the hell can you hope to survive against the likes of JDS, Carwin and Valasquez?

This isn't the end of his career, but frankly, Duffee can forget about any title aspirations he might have had, there is no way you survive the elite in the HW division if you get KO'd that easy, even taking into account fatigue and fluke factor.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A combination of being gassed and a powerful punch that left his head and jaw no room to wiplash/absorb energy.

Its been said before that all it takes for a heavyweight to knock someone out is one punch.. but jesus christ Russow can take a beating like a man.

There are also just some guys who have plain have iron jaws like Russow, Cote or Cabbage.
Duffee landed some bombs on Russow, and he absorbed them. Todd gets hit once and is out cold.

And I'm not sure gassing plays that big of a part. Maybe gassing leaves you in a more weakened state and unable to stay rigid, which I guess could result in the neck being jolted more, but it was a pretty straight punch that didn't even swing his head anywhere. Just straight to the side of the jaw when Duffee's head was turned that put him out flat.

Russow is not a big heavyweight and certainly doesn't appear to have heavy hands. Given that Duffee has no obvious offensive wrestling ability, he needs to be able to take a shot. Every fighter gets hit, even Anderson. If Rashad Evans didn't have takedowns and ridiculous speed he'd be getting KOd in every fight. Duffee doesn't have the same options available to him.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Yeah his chin is suspect , but still early to call it glass . i rewatched the fight , and Duffee was gassing bad and it helped russow with that punch .

btw i watched the KO like 15 times allready and i'm still amaze , that was epic comeback .

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
he was caught offguard, can happen to anyone.

a fighter with a "granite chin" is usually just a guy who is always ready for a shot, Duffee was definitely caught clean.

Is this a preview of what we will see with Lesnar vs Carwin?? Not the fight, but the flip flopping of an unconscious gigantic musclebound hulking man? ou la la

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Duffee so deserved to get KNFO. Lucky shot though..

Duffee throws jabs at an inferior opponent who was taking the shots flush. No combos to KO Russow an opponent he could have KOed with a nice 1-2-3 after like 3 min in to the fight.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Duffee definitely has a glass jaw, there's a few factors that you need to consider when assessing a fighters chin.

1. His age
2. How many times he's been knocked out
3. His cardio

Todd is young and never been knocked out in a professional fight let alone lost, his cardio seemed normal for a hw so yeah he no doubt has a glass jaw.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Can't judge a guys jaw off a flash KO. It's funny this even comes up. The topic should be about Mike Russows ridiculous chin, jesus this guy ate so many huge hits that night, it was ridiculous...

Anyone else find it funny that the guy with the record for fastest knockout got knocked out in the last round via hail mary punch after dominating the entire fight LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts