Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to current WBA world heavyweight champion David Haye...(see even fellow boxers don't think this fool has a chance lol).

UFC president Dana White has agreed with David Haye's claims that James Toney is in for the beating of his life when he steps inside the same Octagon as Randy Couture.

Haye, the current WBA world heavyweight champion, has plenty of experience of MMA, having trained with Britain's Michael Bisping on more than one occasion. Unlike many boxers, he is more than prepared to acknowledge that it takes years of training to understand the ground game required to compete in the UFC, something he is convinced 41-year-old former boxing champion Toney fails to appreciate.

"Six months of training isn't going to be enough," Haye told Bloody Elbow. "As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn't be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he's done double that amount, he wouldn't have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.

"I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power. After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

"I hit a lot harder and I'm so much faster than James, and I couldn't land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney's spirit and boxing skills. But he's delusional here."

White, who is the man responsible for scheduling Toney to fight Greco-Roman veteran and UFC legend Couture at UFC 118, agrees with Haye's assessment.

"He is very right. It's a freak show. I said I'd never put on a freak show fight and I'm doing it," White admitted. "Listen, this guy [Toney] chased me around the country saying bad things about the sport. If he wants to get his ass whooped, I'm gonna let him.

"Here's what I expect; the bell rings, they come to the centre of the Octagon, circle each other for a little bit, Randy double legs him, puts him against the fence, squashes his head and the fight is over."
http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/32019.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

thoughts?

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It's good to see an honest opinion from a champion boxer. Even he confirmed what we have all been saying, if Randy doesn't walk into a punch or have an extremely sh*tty gameplan (not likely) he'll have his way with Toney and probably enforce his will on him with violent GnP for 3 rounds.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dana still owes the fans one. This is the fight he should make Free. He admits its a freak show. He admits Toney has no chance. So why make it a PPV? To cash in on his loyal fans? That would be in very poor taste. I want to watch the fight...Im not going to even try to lie about that. But I am certainly not going to be paying for it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Toney will probably lose but it won't be the beating off his life. All Randy will do is lay and prey like he has been doing recently. Sam Peter beat the s*** out of Toney for 36 minutes and hes a huge puncher in boxer. Randy Couture won't come close to that beating.

·
Registered
681 Posts
couture better win this, he's representing the whole sport!
Boxing is as much as MMA as Ju Jitsu is. When Anderson Silva beat Damian Miai nobody said was MMA vs Ju Jitsu. For MMA to make the next step it needs elite guys from Kickboxing and Boxing in order to have real elite striking.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
If Toney gets past Randy I'd say stick him in with Pat Barry. I'm sure after a few Barry leg-kicks Toney'll change his mind about taking up MMA.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why does that episode of Pros vs Joes Randy was in come to mind? :p

·
Registered
619 Posts
If Toney gets past Randy I'd say stick him in with Pat Barry. I'm sure after a few Barry leg-kicks Toney'll change his mind about taking up MMA.
Barry is the first fighter I thought of when Dana was flirting around with the idea of signing Toney. That would have made for an interesting fight. The reasons are clear why Dana opted for this match up. Nobody here needs to be informed of those reasons Im quite sure.

Many have spoken of those first few seconds of nervousness while Randy is standing with Toney. I have been following Toney's career since he was a Middleweight. Toney has good power but has lacked devastating power since he packed on a lot weight. He should actually be fighting below 200lbs. But Toney is a slick fighter...definitely among the most technical of all time. So its the punch you dont see that hurts you. However, Randy has a good chin and is pretty slick himself...more so than what people give him credit for.

It could turn out to be an interesting fight. But I still think it should be free on Spike or Versus for the simple fact Dana thinks different.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
All Randy will do is lay and prey like he has been doing recently.
No way will Randy lay n pray! He's going to want to reduce the time spent on the feet as much as possible. Each round starts on the feet, so Randy is going to want to finish this in the first.

HaVok said:
Randy has a good chin
Randy had a good chin. He's been rocked in all of his fights since his return vs Lesnar, and thats not a good sign, especially going in against a guy who's strength is his punching.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Kimbo, Mitrione, Marcus Jones and other newcomers seem to learn the ground game in a short period of time.

I don't see a reason Toney wouldn't do the same.

Toney doesn't have to work a day job and train when he finds time. He's on it 24/7.

Randy not being particularly known for his jiu jitsu or submissions, all Toney needs to do is focus on takedown defense and ground and pound defense with just enough sub know how to avoid the basic mistakes that get people in trouble. He doesn't need to become a BJJ God in 2 weeks.

If they clinch against the fence, Toney could probably KO Couture like how Carwin KO'ed Mir.

I think David Haye is just saying stuff to get in Toney's head.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Boxing is as much as MMA as Ju Jitsu is. When Anderson Silva beat Damian Miai nobody said was MMA vs Ju Jitsu. For MMA to make the next step it needs elite guys from Kickboxing and Boxing in order to have real elite striking.
True but you don't hear BJJ champs saying that MMA is garbage and MMA belt holders are nothing more than white suprimist Nazis and bar room brawlers.

There are plenty of top lever boxers who are still saying that garbage (not to mention projecting their homosexual fantasies on MMA).
I’m not sure if they actually believe that because they have NEVER tried grappling or kick boxing or that it’s a desperate attempt to discredit and growing sport that is gaining momentum among the mainstream and pop culture.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Kimbo, Mitrione, Marcus Jones and other newcomers seem to learn the ground game in a short period of time.

I don't see a reason Toney wouldn't do the same.

Toney doesn't have to work a day job and train when he finds time. He's on it 24/7.

Randy not being particularly known for his jiu jitsu or submissions, all Toney needs to do is focus on takedown defense and ground and pound defense with just enough sub know how to avoid the basic mistakes that get people in trouble. He doesn't need to become a BJJ God in 2 weeks.

If they clinch against the fence, Toney could probably KO Couture like how Carwin KO'ed Mir.

I think David Haye is just saying stuff to get in Toney's head.
It's WAY harder to learn the ground game than it is the standup game. Your post is well... flat out wrong.

Ground game takes balance and constant body weight adjustment. Standup simply takes repetition and reaction. There is no way Toney working some TDD will be able to defend a wrestler who's been wrestling his entire life.... no way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's WAY harder to learn the ground game than it is the standup game. Your post is well... flat out wrong.

Ground game takes balance and constant body weight adjustment. Standup simply takes repetition and reaction. There is no way Toney working some TDD will be able to defend a wrestler who's been wrestling his entire life.... no way.
I agree with this, striking is lot simpler to learn, Wrestler and BJJ fighters can learn enough striking to do well in MMA but would not stand a chance in a proper Thaiboxing/Boxing match. To learn Grappling is so hard and so many techniques you can caught out with in an instant. I started learning BJJ after years of doing Thaiboxing and BJJ is hard.

I reckon along with everyone else that Randy will take Toney down but I think he will test him on his feet for the first 30 seconds to minute.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.