Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who do you guys have as your top 10 145ers in the world?

I have it like this.

1: Jose Aldo - Too good for the weight class, needs to move up, however he still has some nice fights here, not too many in the WEC, but I'd like to see him fight Soto, Sandro and Fernandez and possibly Grispi. Has already eliminated the who's who in his weight class in devastating fashion. Swanson, Faber and Brown all suffering brutal, one-sided losses.

2: Marlon Sandro - Super well rounded fighter who can win a fight in any fashion, his only "loss" was actually a draw to Omigawa, and recently knocked out Kanehara for the Sengoku championship.

3: Bibiano Fernandes - Outstanding grappler. Lost to Faber and KID early in his career but has racked off 6 straight, including top guys such as Warren, Takaya and former DREAM LW champ Hansen. He's the DREAM champion, and don't be fooled by the decision, Fernandes won the fight clearly.

4: Manny Gamburyan- Surprising, but the Armenian has strung off 3 wins, including notables such as Garcia and former WEC champion Mike Thomas Brown. His judo base is a good style to grind out decisions, but he's also got some power in his punches as well.

5: Michihiro Omigawa- After a lackluster start to his career, a move to 145 has left the judoka on the heels of several notable wins. He's seemed to figure out that he needs to get guys down and grind out decisions rather than go for the knockout as we saw in his brief stint in the UFC. Hopefully he comes back stateside to the WEC, but a rematch with Sandro wouldn't be a bad fight either.

6: Mike Thomas Brown- Despite the losses to Aldo and Gamburyan, Brown has been as good as anyone in the division for a long time, and is a former WEC champion. Needs some good resume boosting fights later to move up.

7: Hiroyuki Takaya- DREAM Grand Prix Finalist rebounded from losses to Omigawa and Fernandes with a surprising KO over Hansen, who hadn't been knocked out in his career.

8: Josh Grispi - He's been absolutely racking up the wins, and now has a number of impressive wins inside the WEC, LC Davis' consciousness didn't even last a round and Grispi looks like fodder, I mean a contender for Aldo's belt.

9: Joe Warren- Rebounded from an embarrassing quick submission loss from Fernandes to being on the path to capture the Bellator tournament crown. Setting up a great collision with Soto, that Warren has to be favored on. He should get by Freire first however...

10: Joe Soto- The Bellator king, hammered Saraiva in his last fight. The kid is a well-rounded grappler, and can win a fight in numerous ways once it reaches the ground. Certainly not the comp that Warren has fought so far, but a win over Warren or Freire should catapult him up in the rankings..

And that's all folks. Feel free to laugh and or flame me and add your own lists. Descriptions not needed.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Joe Soto #10! Are you kidding me? Oh well, doesn't matter to me, we all have our own opinions...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over who? Soto has been impressive, but when your best win is Deigo Saraiva, you aren't going to be much higher than that. I could see putting him over Warren, but I won't because again, Warren has fought much better fighters. As has, Grispi, Takaya, Mike Brown.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Well a win over Wilson Reis is also very impressive, considering he was the EliteXC Bantamweight champ. Even though he had not defenses of the title, he was still matched up against the #1 Bantamweight they could find to face him. That win was the only one going to decision. He also showed that he can submit as well as knockout. We will see how he does against Warren. I would put him at #4-5.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reis isn't ranked at all at Featherweight and he wasn't even that highly ranked at 135 either. And 4,5 is absolutely too high for anyone's standards. That'd be like putting Jon Jones that high on a LHW ranking.

Hes simply not a more accomplished fighter than Omigawa, Brown or Gamburyan at this point. Nor Takaya, Grispi or Warren.

If you rank Soto that highly for beating a B ranked bantamweight, than how does Warren rank for beating the like of Karkyhyan, KID, or Freire?

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about a few people, didn't know what I was thinking when I made that last post. I am on pain meds from wisdom teeth removal. My bad, haha.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
The last post that I made said that I would rank Joe Soto #4-5 featherweight in the world. I don't know what I was thinking. Because I was on pain meds from getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
I love Joe Soto, but he has not faced enough credible opponents yet. I would love to see a fight with him and Alvarez, I also think his fight with Warren will prove something.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Yeah, I really hoped for Soto vs Pitbull, but it didn't play out how I wanted. Hopefully Warren loses cause I love soto.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Whoever wins the Warren/Soto bout needs to move to the WEC I believe. I'd also love to see Sandro come over after he rematches Omigawa, and Bibiano as well.
Warren is exactly what we don't need in the WEC, we do not need wrestlers. The WEC is amazing because all of the fighters are standup guys who like to bang it out and have great cardio and have very entertaining scrambles. I prefer that to warren's style.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last I checked, Mike Brown was a wrestler. And the WEC needs good fighters regardless of style. THis isn't sports entertainment, if Warren is one of the best in the world there is no reason to not sign him.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Last I checked, Mike Brown was a wrestler. And the WEC needs good fighters regardless of style. THis isn't sports entertainment, if Warren is one of the best in the world there is no reason to not sign him.
I'm not saying that they have a reason to not sign Warren. It is true that Mike Brown is listed as a wrestler, but I think he prefers to stand up. Warren go GSP style and goes straight for the take down. He is a great fighter and a great wrestler, no doubt. But personally I would not like to see him in the WEC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts