Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringin' it back guys! I'm going to give you guys my predictions for UFC 115 and break down the main card to the best of my abilities :)

Let's start from the bottom up!

Carlos Condit vs Rory MacDonald
First off, hell of a fight to start off with. I've been a fan of Carlos since I saw him win the belt in the WEC, so my bias might show a bit... Either way, I see Carlos' experience being a big factor here. Rory is young and while he's had 10 fights up to this point, I don't think any of them were on par with Carlos' skills. Both fighters have a very, very well rounded game but I think Carlos' wrestling is better so he can decide where the fight goes. Add to this that he SHOULD have a significant reach advantage as he's taller than Rory by about 3 inches and he's lanky as all get out. Looking for Condit to give The Water Boy his first professional loss, Carlos Condit via UD.

Ben Rothwell vs Gilbert Yvel
Honestly, I don't see this lasting very long. Rothwell has decent enough boxing and a decent ground game, but I still see Yvel as a better fighter by miles. He's fought better competition his entire professional career and looked better in his loss to JDS than Rothwell did against Cain. Yvel by TKO, Rd 1

Paulo Thiago vs Martin Kampmann​
Another very, very tough to call fight. These two match up very well against one another. They both have good stand up, with my edge going to Kamp, and they both have very solid ground skills, my edge going to Thaigo. I think this is easily a contender for Fight of the Night and I fully expect it to be a war from multiple stances. I think the fight will be standing longer than it will be on the floor due to Kamp's TDD and reach, it's going to be very hard for Paulo to get inside without eating a bunch of punches and kicks and even then he isn't guaranteed a takedown. I think the reach is the big factor in the stand up, that and Paulo is more of a boxer and Kampmann is a great kick boxer. Due to those (slight) advantages I give this one to Martin Kampmann via UD. But I wouldn't be surprised with a split.

Pat Barry vs Mirko Cro Cop​
Holllllly shit am I excited for this. Another high potential for FotN honors. Neither of these dudes are going to want to go to the ground and they BOTH throw to end fights. IMO this fight is Mirko's left high kick vs Barry's leg kicks from hell. Honestly I think CC has slowed down a bit and he plants his feet a bit too flat now and I think it's going to bite him in the ass, honestly. The first round is going to be a lot of Mirko throwing counter straights off of Barry's leg kicks, I don't see his high kicks landing that often as Barry is also a very accomplished kick boxer. CroCop coming in as a south paw may pose a small challenge to Barry, though, but I think he can overcome it. Mirko also has a height advantage, but will lose an inch and a half reach to Barry. All in all they match up very well every where except for one place in my opinion and I believe that place is Speed. I think Barry is much faster, much lighter on his feet and much more agile than Cro Cop. While their fight style are extremely similar, I believe the speed advantage will net Barry the W. Pat "Hype or Die!" Barry via TKO, rd 2. Netting also, another KotN bonus!

Chuck Liddell vs Rich Franklin​
And yet a THIRD fight that easily could contend for FotN or KOotN. This fight is very, very hard to pick because we've seen Chuck get KO'd in 3 of his last five, losing four of his last five total, but I'm sure his power has gone nowhere. Him training the whole time for Tito can be both a blessing and a curse, though. Tito and Rich have no where near a similar style. Rich uses his reach to his advantage, won't be trying to take Chuck down that often and is a great counter puncher. Then again, Chuck has spectacular TDD and is also a great puncher. Rich, being the aggressor of the two most likely, is going to have to work very, very hard to not get hurt early. If he can come out, weather the storm early and take some of Chuck's confidence, it will be a bit easier to counter him and make him make mistakes. Also, Rich is a fighter that speeds up as rounds go on, I think this is a significant advantage for him if he can keep doing it after the layoff he had. If Rich can stay on top of his fundamentals, keeps his kick boxing sharp, use the low kick and stay quick and covered he can win this fight. Of course at any point in time Chuck can counter punch his face off, so it's going to be hard for him to do so. I see this fight going to Chuck in the first, a razor close second going to Rich and a Third going to Rich as well, so my prediction is Rich Franklin via Split Decision.

Below are all of my picks, including the prelims, discuss, tell me I'm wrong, whatever you want :)

·
Shogun
2,105 Posts
pretty much exactly the same as i will be betting online...mostly due to the very very good odds as most of our winning picks are underdogs. One thing tho...i think Thiago might win the Kampmann fight standing, he has won standup against both Swick and Kos, but im betting Kampman because of the odds. I see it as a 55-45% for Thiago. i dont even think the fight will hit the ground as both are mostly just defensive grapplers so i think they will just bang. I agree that Thiago mostly uses boxing where Kampmann is a kickboxer wich SHOULD give him an advantage...but i cant help seing Thiago catching kampmann with a big hook for a KO in round 2 - 3. But like i said ill bee betting on kampmann as he gives me 2.70. Other than that i agree 100% and if i had th patience to do a breakdown it would look like this, all the way down to the explanations. Cant really Disagree with anything.
Tho i did bet money on Crocop simply because he gives 2.00 times the money and its Crocop dammit :p. But i see Barry taking this one...just cant bet against Crocop. I do some stupid bets somtimes just for fun as i dont bet large amounts. I bet to make it even more exciting to watch.
If all goes well its gonna be good money for me as Condit,Yvel,crocop,Kampmann are all pretty big underdogs...but we'll see. didnt bet on the iceman/aceman fight as its to close to call, but i think it will go as u say..either Chuck catches Franklin pretty early or Franklin wears him down, ill go with th later.

Also just wanna point out that u have Condit by UD at first and then later by submission. Ill go with the first.

Edit: +rep for a very good breakdown and for having the patience to actually write it. I love these predictions and would mind alot of ppl making them before an event. next time i will try to sit down and do one but for now, yours tell my opinion more or less.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin - Franklin UD

Patrick Barry vs. Mirko Cro Cop - Barry Tko rnd 2

Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann - Paolo Thiago rnd 3 tko

Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel - Rothwell UD

Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald - Slightly leaning towards Condit via UD but am not yet decided

Tyson Griffin vs. Evan Dunham - Griffin via UD, same as above, both these fights are hard for me to predict

Mac Danzig vs. Matt Wiman - Wiman via UD

David Loiseau vs. Mario Miranda - Miranda via UD

James Wilks vs. Peter Sobotta - Wilks via Sub rnd 2

Claude Patrick vs. Ricardo Funch - Claude Patrick via UD

Mike Pyle vs. Jesse Lennox - Lennox via UD

Good write up though TS

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I can't believe someone thinks Kampmann stands a chance against Paulo. Paulo by far has the striking edge and the submission edge. Another innate advantage is how calm and collected Thiago is, he's never unsure of his victory. We all saw how unsure Kampmann looked vs a mediocre fighter in Daley.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I can't believe someone thinks Kampmann stands a chance against Paulo. Paulo by far has the striking edge and the submission edge. Another innate advantage is how calm and collected Thiago is, he's never unsure of his victory. We all saw how unsure Kampmann looked vs a mediocre fighter in Daley.
I don't see Kampmann winning either, he isn't devastating in the standup and isn't getting anywhere on the ground either. Meanwhile Brazilian Swat Team Super Cop Paulo Thiago looks like a man on a mission, he's going to have his game locked down to the letter.

·
Shogun
2,105 Posts
I don't see Kampmann winning either, he isn't devastating in the standup and isn't getting anywhere on the ground either. Meanwhile Brazilian Swat Team Super Cop Paulo Thiago looks like a man on a mission, he's going to have his game locked down to the letter.
well paulo thiago is one of my favourite fighters and i also thought he had the edge in both ground and standup. i did bet kampman ffor the $$ tho..and boy am i happy i did. Turns out kampmann had the edge both standding and on the ground...war kampmann. Also im swedish and hes danish..makes it a bit more fun.
i Won on 3 underdogs and lost on 1 good money for me :)

called condit,kampmann and crocop. Lost on yvel

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
And now we just saw how Thiago looked against a mediocre fighter in Kampmann...

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
It's fun to look at all the expert opinions the day after. Of course mine don't look too bright today either. The thread starter on the other hand did an excellent job except for the 2 fights he agreed with me on.:thumb02:
I was just poking fun at Khoveraki. He hangs on brazillian nuts so tightly you would think he must be from Brazil. He massively overrated Big Nog, Lil Nog and now Thiago.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And now we just saw how Thiago looked against a mediocre fighter in Kampmann...
I can't BELIEVE people are still saying t his shit about Kampmann, seriously. He just completely tooled Paulo Thiago whose coming off a knock out of Koscheck (the current #1 contender) and subbing Swick to sleep. And Kampmann didn't just take him out using his weakness, he tooled him on the ground, too. The guy is a legit black belt and he got WORKED on the ground. It seems to me like Kamp is reinvigorated and he's headed to the top pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I can't BELIEVE people are still saying t his shit about Kampmann, seriously. He just completely tooled Paulo Thiago whose coming off a knock out of Koscheck (the current #1 contender) and subbing Swick to sleep. And Kampmann didn't just take him out using his weakness, he tooled him on the ground, too. The guy is a legit black belt and he got WORKED on the ground. It seems to me like Kamp is reinvigorated and he's headed to the top pretty quick.
By the next time Kampmann fights everyone will be back on his nuts they don't want to make the bandwagon jumping to obvious after they are abandoned ship after the Daley fight.

·
Banned
0 Posts
This thread was entertaining after the fact, reading the end was sad, Martin Kampmann has always been game he is a great fighter. People that dont think so got a shot of him last night, maybe they just dont know much about Kampmann???:confused02:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.