Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/03/tuf-11s-josh-bryant-breaks-down-his-fight-with-jamie-yager/

Josh Bryant won again on the latest episode of The Ultimate Fighter, defeating Jamie Yager after two hard-fought rounds in a fight that UFC President Dana White called the best of the season so far.

In an interview with MMAFighting.com, Bryant talked about the instructions he received from coach Chuck Liddell, how he figured out Yager's timing and what he thinks about Yager's failure to answer the bell for the third round. The interview is below.

Michael David Smith: Right before the fight Chuck's final instruction to you was "close quick." Why was that so important to the game plan?
Because of what we had seen from Yager's earlier fights. He showed what he likes to do, which is sit outside and try to kick you when he jumps in and then jump out. I wanted to close the distance as fast as I could.

Through most of the first round, I thought Yager was beating you on the feet, but then you landed a punch late in the round that hurt him. Did you think that really changed how things were going?
I was trying to figure his timing out. I knew he was going to jump in and jump back out a lot. His kicks weren't hurting me at all, though. Honestly, where they were hitting me on my knee it didn't hurt -- not the way it would have hurt if his kicks had hit my thigh. So I was just trying to figure out his timing, and when I finally pulled the trigger I hurt him. Once I got his timing down, and pulled the trigger, I thought, "OK, I've got this."

Toward the end of the second round, you had Yager hurt and you were really putting a beating on him on the ground. How close did you think you were to finishing him?
I thought I was close. I was trying to drop some bombs on him although he did a good job of tying me up and making it hard for me to finish him off.

The judges gave Yager the first round and you the second, and it would have gone to a third round but Yager couldn't answer the bell. Did you realize you had hurt him that badly in the second that he wasn't going to be able to continue?
No. I thought I hurt him when we were on the ground, and I knew he wasn't handling it well because he was yelling at the referee and saying I was hitting him illegally and pulling his hair -- which I wasn't. I was elbowing him and punching him in the face and hurting him, but I didn't think he was hurt so badly that he couldn't go on.

When Yager couldn't keep fighting, his coach, Tito Ortiz, seemed to lose respect for him. Do you lose respect for a guy when he won't answer the bell like that?
Yeah, kind of. It paints a bad picture of your mental toughness if you can't fight through it. And in this game, you've got to be mentally tough.

Dana White called it the best fight of the season so far. How did that make you feel?
I thought that was great. Any time Dana White says something like that you're ecstatic and on top of the world. That tells you that you're delivering the kind of fight he's looking for.

Up next you have a rematch with Kris McCray. Were you happy with that pairing, to have another fight with someone you had already beaten?

Absolutely. Any time you beat a guy you feel like you kind of figured him out and you tend to think that will give you a leg up on the guy for the next fight. Im sorry but when you quit on the stool you saw Dana, I dont think he will bring Yager back, what a cocky, annoying douche who got exactly what he deserves. Shot his mouth off and I could tell by the editting he was gonna lose!!!!

I think he is a joke he telegraphs his kicks for days and his striking is sub par, he is just flashy which landed him in alot of trouble.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually thought Josh won the first round. Jager throws these big kicks that are scene a mile away, I'm sure after a night at the bar it would look impressive against some drunken yobs, but against trained mma fighters he doesn't stand a chance. The flying knees look cool, but when they don't land what's the point? As said in another thread they'll bring Yager back for the final against Kyacey Uscola. Good on Josh I see him in the final against McGee.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I actually thought Josh won the first round. Jager throws these big kicks that are scene a mile away, I'm sure after a night at the bar it would look impressive against some drunken yobs, but against trained mma fighters he doesn't stand a chance. The flying knees look cool, but when they don't land what's the point? As said in another thread they'll bring Yager back for the final against Kyacey Uscola. Good on Josh I see him in the final against McGee.
I agree. Jager did zero damage with all his flying around and flashy crap in the 1st round. About 99% of it was blocked/deflected or flat out missed. I have that round scored 10-9 Josh.

And every single time that Josh stepped inside and threw a punch it (a) connected and (b) knocked Jager down.

I love it when someone who talks as much crap as Jager does gets schooled like that. Even better that he just freakin' quit. But then he goes right back to talking shit. Sort of like Tito Ortiz. hmmm :confused02:

·
Banned
439 Posts
The only way I saw that first round going to Sideshow Bob is because he was the agressor and Josh was very passive the first few minutes, but when he landed that bomb I knew he had Yager figured out.

Josh has a bright future ahead of him but I see him more as a WW and not a MW.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way I saw that first round going to Sideshow Bob is because he was the agressor and Josh was very passive the first few minutes, but when he landed that bomb I knew he had Yager figured out.

Josh has a bright future ahead of him but I see him more as a WW and not a MW.

Agreed other than the fact he landed that a little sooner in the 1st....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Man even though Yager was really tired he looked like he was starting to hurt Josh with head shots and leg kicks...up intill he got dropped and pounded in the last min.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man even though Yager was really tired he looked like he was starting to hurt Josh with head shots and leg kicks...up intill he got dropped and pounded in the last min.

He gassed and has no heart dude, he quit!!!!! The last min shots were insult to injury...the dude was beat before the start of the second RD....

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
He gassed and has no heart dude, he quit!!!!! The last min shots were insult to injury...the dude was beat before the start of the second RD....
:confused05: I did watch it ya no....not sure the point you are trying to make. Im just saying his kicks are damaging. If he had cardio and a heart transplant he could be good....oh and a defense. Hes quite athletically gifted....not many can throw kicks with balance and speed he can. Its a shame that him with his no heart is gifted and Josh is not yet hes the one with the heart and will always go further.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:confused05: I did watch it ya no....not sure the point you are trying to make. Im just saying his kicks are damaging. If he had cardio and a heart transplant he could be good....oh and a defense. Hes quite athletically gifted....not many can throw kicks with balance and speed he can. Its a shame that him with his no heart is gifted and Josh is not yet hes the one with the heart and will always go further.

I was just trying to say the shot Josh landed came early in the 1st. As far as Yager goes, the kicks he throws are telegraphed horribly, he was never landing flush with his shots and his cardio is weak. i dont think he is any kind of elite striker or really that skilled, athletic, sure, but that doesn't mean he has cardio or heart. Also he keeps his hands down by his waste which is why he got tagged so much last night....i also think he is way off balance whn he throws his kicks and they leave him in trouble or open for a counter which, we saw last night....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Id kinda been thinking that Yager was taking a pretty big risk by having such loose defense with his hands. It was only a matter of time before someone was able to get inside and drop him. The dude is a good athlete and can still have some success if he can tighten up his boxing. He throws powerful kicks and has some heat in his punches, he is just sloppy. Keep in mind the dude only had three fights coming into the show.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had to admit, it was a scary looking fight. Every time he threw a kick to the head I tensed up a little bit thinking it might connect, but after watching the fight again I could see Josh pretty much had his number when it came to that aspect. The leg kicks looked like they should have hurt him, but it didn't really seem to affect him at all (which he does explain in the interview.)

I also agree with whoever said he'd do better as a welterweight. He's a good fighter, but I did notice his body was lacking definition, and he could probably cut a little excess fat to make WW. Either that or go on a high protein diet and bulk up while cutting fat. Either way, I think he's got potential. Definitely has the kind of heart it takes to be a real fighter.

I agree with Dana. Best fight this season. I can honestly say I enjoyed this fight more than both 114's main card matches.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yager has all the physical tools. With a proper training camp he should be able to beat the likes of bryant easily.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of Yager's kicks were glancing, they never landed flush and his hands are at his waist, I think he needs a serious striking coach, if he were on Team Liddell he would have had the benefit of working with Howard Davis Jr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts