Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
This is one of my least favorite seasons! I think it is because of the fights! Three of them were fast and two of them went the distance but was really boring. The only fights I did like was the Dewees/Ray and Serra/Spratt!

·
Registered
413 Posts
pt447 said:
look, not many shows put out 4 seasons in 2 years!!! considering the first 3 where very big successes... i'll let this season slide... i think it blows, but like i said, look what they've done!
Yeah, that show is why MMA is blowing up right now. I have been an MMA fan for 6 years and I love watching MMA so I don’t understand why so many long time MMA fans say they hate that show. I mean I know a lot of the new fans can be annoying with there lack of knowledge when they come on these sites and make stupid comments but every one has to start somewhere. And I understand that it is not a high level of competition but you have guys Forest who has had pretty good success and like Mike Swick getting a shot in the UFC from the show and now he is probably the next # 1 contender at 185. I actually really like this season because these are all fighters I have seen fight before and you get a closer look at what they are capable of, obviously some of them are still not going to be contenders at there weight class but I think the concept of this season is better than how the show started with all of the challenges and bringing in more known fighters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not the best season, by far, but still ok. I dont really like the has beens. Much better to have some newbies gettin a shot.

Love him or hate him, Dana is doing very well using this for a training ground/proving ground for new talent. Its a fantastic way to not only scope out new talent close up and expand the sport but also let the fans get acquainted with the new up and comers. Maybe thats why I dont care for the idea of having a bunch of guys that couldnt hack it the first time in the show.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm with Choke Wire and TheJame, the ultimate fighter 2 is definitely the worst, but 4 is pretty bad too. 1.1, thats about 100,000, and 6 million watched the Ultimate Fighter Finale 1. Thats just terrible, I think they might cancel the show in the end after this season or maybe even during the season! I hope not, some matches have been awesome but most of them have sucked.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
The problem that I have with TUF4 is that the fighters don't seem as hungry as the newbies in the previous series. I mean that although they still talk a good game about using the opportunity to the best of their abilities, they don't have the raw enthusiasm and the drive to train no matter what. This was really apparent when Rich Franklin visited and guys were lying around on a cardio day (although they did say they had been training their butts off everyday before that but we didn't see that). Then when the fights also have generallly been crappy, it's easy to lose interest.

Not having the dynamics of a Ortiz/Shamrock potential confrontation in each show doesn't help either. Having younger guys on the show would have allowed a greater emphasis on the coaches so we would have had a better look at GSP and his training philosophy, etc.

Maybe it'll get better now were almost at the semi-finals.

BTW nice avi Alex.

·
LEGEND
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMA freak said:
I'm with Choke Wire and TheJame, the ultimate fighter 2 is definitely the worst, but 4 is pretty bad too. 1.1, thats about 100,000, and 6 million watched the Ultimate Fighter Finale 1. Thats just terrible, I think they might cancel the show in the end after this season or maybe even during the season! I hope not, some matches have been awesome but most of them have sucked.
Interesting. I very much enjoyed TUF 2. I think they go from good to bad in chronological order, TUF 1 being the best and TUF4 being the worst

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't think the Ultimate Fighter series will be cancelled for a looong time. Even if this season isn't as exciting as the others, it's not bad by any means. I'd much rather watch TUF4 than 95% of all the other shows on tv.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Actually a 1.1 is well over a million homes watching the show. The ratings have been about the same as the previous seasons. Its a good rating considering the timeslot and station they are on. No way would Spike just cancel them since having the UFC on has been a goldmine for them.

Pogo

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I actually like this season, and I don't make my opinions on how the ratings are going, but rather how the show is. There is a lot of good talent on the show, and a lot of the fights have been incredible. Cote vs Rivera was a great fight last night, and going into the fight it was hard to call. Serra/Spratt, DeWees/Ray and Sell/McCharthy were all pretty good, and no fight was an absolute snooze fest. The semi's are going to be real interesting and I can't wait to see Serra vs Carter. I don't understand why people are *****ing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TLB said:
Yeah, that show is why MMA is blowing up right now. I have been an MMA fan for 6 years and I love watching MMA so I don’t understand why so many long time MMA fans say they hate that show. I mean I know a lot of the new fans can be annoying with there lack of knowledge when they come on these sites and make stupid comments but every one has to start somewhere. And I understand that it is not a high level of competition but you have guys Forest who has had pretty good success and like Mike Swick getting a shot in the UFC from the show and now he is probably the next # 1 contender at 185. I actually really like this season because these are all fighters I have seen fight before and you get a closer look at what they are capable of, obviously some of them are still not going to be contenders at there weight class but I think the concept of this season is better than how the show started with all of the challenges and bringing in more known fighters.
I agree with TLB on this. I am a true MMA fan and I love everything about MMA. This season may not be the best series in some circles but we that have followed MMA have seen these guys fight in other venues. There are a lot of upstarts in these forums who seem like they jumped on the MMA bandwagon in the last few years. MMA is not "cockfighting" or a bar room brawl. Those guys with technical skills and who are thinking strategically will win over those who come in swinging wildly hoping for a lucky shot. We can do nothing to change this season and we are stuck with it until the finale. Do any of these guys have a chance of beating the current champs? Possibly but doubtful.

·
Banned
186 Posts
It's probably cheap to produce, and more than makes enough money off advertisers, so I don't see it being cancelled ... but who knows.

Spike TV has a good grip on the male (18-35 year olds) who spend a lot of money. Plus, this show generates interest in purchaing PPV and gate tickets for fights.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.